Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jaybird

Ice travel & deep vs. shallow

5 posts in this topic

I'm heading up to the fertile waters of URL tomorrow morning. I'm getting a sense from the reports that driving across the ice (I drive an Explorer)is not doable right now - can anyone confirm this?

My second question is about something that has been touched on in some posts, but hasn't gotten a ton of discussion. Some guys are saying that if you're willing to forego the chance at some slabs to get a better chance at numbers of walleyes, you should fish shallow - like maybe 1 to 2 miles out in 9-12 fow. I'm getting the impression that it's more of a low-light bite, and the size averages smaller than what you'd find in deep water. I would love to hear some of your opinions on this theory.

Thanks in advance for your input. I'll post a detailed report early next week.

In regards to the walleyes shallow, last winter I kept my permanent house at Rogers Campground right off the 1st break (about 8' deep). I left it there all winter. Really didn't have another house within a solid mile of me and the main road cruised right on by.

Early in the year, the eyes were nuts up there, along with a bunch of smaller pike. As winter continued on, seamed like a lot of fish were moving out of there but I still caught eyes every morning before we'd head out chasing crappies with portables. It was pretty typical to get 6-10 eyes every morning without even trying. We'd have lines down while cooking breakfast and the eyes kept interrupting the cooking. Size of the eyes was pretty typical for URL, nothing small about the fish up there.

I was one of the people who posted that we fished the shallow water and we usually do considerably better on the walleyes in close, 8-9 feet of water typically. Last year we had a day late feb where we caught walleyes all day long. We usually pick some up all day but it is usually best at sunrise/sunset. As far as size, I have noticed no difference whatsoever in close or furthur out. Nice thing about being in close is there is rarely anyone close to us. I think the mind set is that you have to be many miles out to catch fish, you know, the fish bite best on the othe rend of the lake. We have had some good days farther out in the past so not to say fishing can't be good (it is Red after all and you will catch some walleyes anywhere) but our personal preference to just fish close for the walleyes. Hope this helps

Thanks, Hanson & Rocky for your input. I'll be the guy in a tan Explorer and older Trap about a mile out of Hillman's tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to compare notes and share a malted beverage.

You can drive anything on the main roads as long as they don't drift back in.

I would'nt go out on Red without a 4X4 with some clearance though.

Your Explorer should be just fine as long as you dont go

off-road or a blizzard comes in.