• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Public land...people acting like its private

zrmo440

Last deer season I hunted north of Duluth a little bit. We hunted some public land that I had hunted a few years back during college. This year, on the last saturday of the season a group of 4 hunters pulls up to the spot. Talked to them for a little bit and they say how their family has been hunting here for 4 generations and that they have put up over 150 stands during that time. I respected the fact that they have hunted there a while, but it was frustrating. Its PUBLIC land. If it was that important to them, they should have bought private land 4 generations ago. Have any of you ran into this and what have you done in this situation?

EXACT situation. There is a certain section of land that i like to bow hunt, and i think i might be the only/one of a few who might bow hunt that parcel of land. There are always grouse hunters out there also. When rifle season comes along, there is a group of locals that say how it was their father's land and how he lost it to the Gov't and how they have always hunted it, and used to farm it. I go home for the first 2 weekends, so it's not a problem since thats when most of their guys are hunting. Third weekend i go out there if i have time. I hit it up again in ML season and maybe see one or two people. They were really nice to me and we get along fine. They even said that i can use any of their stands if they are not using them. They also warned me about other groups that hunt a different part of the land. They seemed kind of territorial, but for some reason they had no problem with me.

This is the annual debate on puttting permanent deer stands on PUBLIC land, once those people spend time putting up a stand, they think that spot is theres forever!! Even though its on PUBLIC land!!

UMDSportsman....is your spot up off of Three Lakes Road. There was a guy in a green Chevy that bow hunted where we were and said the same thing that you had.

I'm currious for the responses as to what people should be expected to do? Like myself, I've been hunting the same woods since I could walk, dad's been hunting them since he could walk and grandpa started???? And there's groups that surround use in the same situation. It's like we all have "soft" boundries of our territories. Kind of like wolf packs with overlapping boundries. What do you people think the proper responce should be? There's written rules and there's unwritten rules (which vary person to person and situation to situation). I realize there's a different responce to EVERY situation.

I believe we have a responsibility to be courteous when it comes to sharing a common resource whether it be lake or forest. That goes both ways. We need to be willing to accept the fact that when we are on private property we will be sharing it with others and therefore we have no right to deny them access to any one part of it. At the same time we also need to remember, for the same reason, that we need to yeild to others and give them space.

If I'm out hunting and built a permanent stand and when I arrive it is occupied, I have no legal claim and therefore I should yeild to the accupant. At the same time a courteous occupant would be forthright in offering to give up the stand to me but if he doesn't, I must seek other alternatives. It may suck sometimes but oh well.

If we choose to use public land then that's the way it is. If we don't like it we have the right to buy our own to get the privacy we seek.

Bob

I agree with BobT. If someone is in or near a stand that you built or have been using for years, thats too bad. Its public land and you need to give the person the respect to hunt. Too bad they got there before you.

Cootz. My Great Grandpa and Grandpa hunted Minnesota for years. My Dad did not, so I didn't have that land connection and got introduced to hunting by friends in my early 20's. I would respect your hunting rights if I came upon you in the woods and you were already out before me. But why does the fact that your Dad and Grandpa hunted public land give you any more control over the land then myself or other hunters if we happen upon the same spot?

I realize its a touchy subject and would never infringe on someone's hunt. But with no family tradition Im just out trying to find a spot to hunt in the woods.

the i have been hunting this land for generations is [PoorWordUsage].....it is like BobT stated...if you are on PUBLIC land and have your stand out there and someone is sitting in it there is not a thing you can do.....the chances you take for building on and hunting on PUBLIC land.....I hunt with a group that I laugh at all the time cause they use the I have hunted here for so long and this is "my" stand......it is what it is but it wouldn't deter me from hunting an area unless they get there before me and are already hunting the land that day then I would move on otherwise I would hunt and if they harrass me a call to the DNR would be the next step.....good luck but Public is jsut as much yours as theirs!!!

Our group was forced into the Public land game about 10 years ago after our lease was sold off in parcels. Nobody thought the land was worth near as much as they were asking then....boy I wish I could go back in time.

We hunt a pretty popular/crowded tract, but have done well enough where we haven't moved on. My theory...it is there for all of us to enjoy. If someone "beats you to a spot" I consider it theirs, but that won't deter me from trying to hunt later in the day, week, season etc. On that same token, my general rule is "Don't mess with people who have weapons." I am out there to enjoy the outdoors, get away from the rat race and just relax. If I'm lucky enough to see and/or harvest a deer great. If not, so be it still a good season.

been rifle hunting the same piece of county land for 15 years. we have 3 other groups near us, we all have, as said earlier, soft boundries. If we wish to branch off and try a new spot we talk to the group that hunt that area to find out where their hunters are so as not to infringe on them. Our groups do not "own" the tracts we hunt but we respect each others "territory", it kind of keeps the mess that public land can be "organized". I know this is not possible on WMA's and such, but if you are hunting a new piece of state forest or many of the county tracts, go the night before and see if there are any "deer camps" in the area you have scouted and talk to them (if like our area groups) you more than likely have no trouble hunting the area and also will have help when you kill you animal.

Deer hunting is a tradition, but so is "deer camp" to most, so infrindging on someone traditional area is sometimes uncompfortable, so be respectful even though they don't own it and don't race to a stand ( or area) you have never hunted with out "scouting" your fellow hunters. It will make for a much more enjoyable hunt.

Originally Posted By: zrmo440
UMDSportsman....is your spot up off of Three Lakes Road. There was a guy in a green Chevy that bow hunted where we were and said the same thing that you had.

No my spot is not on the three lakes road, it is not quite that far from duluth. I drive a red ford, but i have taken a friends greenish chevy once or twice.

I don't really agree with the "i have been hunting this land for generations" either, they have been very nice to me. the first time i talked to them was i ran into one of the guys while out walking around. they never were territorial towards me, but from the sounds of it they had runins with some of the other "crews" that rifle hunt that area. I also told them i was new to the area and was a student, so i also think that they know i might be there for a year or two then i will be gone.

Since when was it legal to build a stand on public land? I know you can have portable stands, but you have to bring them out of the woods over night, correct?

Originally Posted By: Roofer
Since when was it legal to build a stand on public land?...

I think only on State Forests lands is building "elevated scaffolds" allowed. Page 112 of 2007 regs.

"Mn Rules 6136.0500 RESTRICTED USES AND ACTS.

Subp. 4. Stands. A person may use an elevated scaffold or stand if it is removed each day at the close of shooting hours and does no damage to trees or other vegetation. A person may not use a portable stand that is nailed, spiked, or screwed into a tree, or that otherwise damages the bark of a tree. A person may not use spikes, nails, steps, or other devices that are driven or screwed into trees."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I know we used to make stands and tie them with rope to trees when we hunted state land. That way they were portable. It was pretty much first come first serve though. Had to get out early.

Roofer,

Actually I believe MN Rule 6136.05 applied to "Scientific and Natural Areas" and not State Forest Lands. It was repealed in November of 2007 and the language is now under rule 6136.0550. Permanent stands are also not allowed in State Parks or Wildlife Management Areas. Currently, for State forest Lands, the DNR allows permanent stands as long as they are under 16' high and do not have walls and a roof. Walls and a roof constitute an unathorized building with is unlawful on public lands. I suspect in the future permanent stands will be further restricted if not outlawed on State Forest Lands but for now they are OK.

Just FYI- ATV use in wetlands and public waters is not allowed and is getting increasingly enforced. Just letting you know in case your avatar picture is not from an official coarse for such things.

In Crow Wing County permanent tree stands are illegal on county land, portables or free standing only. They don't want trees damaged!! But the county land is covered with illegal atv trails and many areas of illegal riding in creeks and wetlands so looking at a picture of an atv being riden in water does little to impress me, actually it makes me ----ed!!

You need to get the facts straight. I was nice until you had to pick on my avatar.

The post I made came straight from the dnr website as "new regualtions". On edit, you are correct about being in the State scientific and natural areas. Stands are legal according to the book as long as you don't nail into a tree and once it is built, it is now public for anyone to use.

ATV use in wetlands is perfectly fine on my own PRIVATE LAND! Besides that, it is not wetlands, it is a pond that we dug and used the dirt to cover up volkswagon sized rutts on and near our land from loggers that the dnr or previous owner hired.

There are also water holes in this state that are on public land that ARE LEGAL! Please know what you are talking about before you type, or simply just ask a question.

County land is tax forfeit and it is different rules than state ground. I believe the county, NOT the dnr control the county land.

Originally Posted By: Recon
In Crow Wing County permanent tree stands are illegal on county land, portables or free standing only. They don't want trees damaged!! But the county land is covered with illegal atv trails and many areas of illegal riding in creeks and wetlands so looking at a picture of an atv being riden in water does little to impress me, actually it makes me ----ed!!

I'll meet people like you eventually. When I do, be prepared because I will be coming with the FACTS. Good day.

OK guys lets stop the bickering! Yes it sucks that some people treat public like private. And yes some areas are open to four wheelers, just like some areas open to permament stands. Lets try and stick together as outdoorsman rather then fighting. We alreaduy have to fight with the anti's no need to do it here.

Sorry if this post ticks someone off, I just dont see how its neccesery.

Sorry if I ruined your post.

I just hate it when someone comes in with 2 posts and an attitude with no knowledge. I've dealt with people like this in the past. They offer no help to anyone, and eventually never come back. I call them lurkers, who often are scared to post for one reason or another.

Glad to hear your avatar is on your private land, so exactly what facts do I need to get straight? Does the fact that I only have two posts make me less knowledgeable than you, does it mean that I don"t have as much right to make posts here as you? So exactly what facts do you have? I have facts too. I hunt and fish, I live in Minnesota and have all my life. Public land belongs to us all and is for everyone's enjoyment. Illegal activity, no mater what it is, is illegal, and a slap in the face to all Minnesota residents. So if you are defending illegal riding than may'be you are part of the problem. Hunting on public land is about comon sense not how long you've hunted in a particular spot, new hunters come along and have as much right to be there as anyone else, riding on open trails is one thing, but I believe I said illegal riding!!!

People do hunt and drive their four wheelers illegally, which sucks for those of us that do it right way. one maybe two phone calls to the dnr usually takes care of it. We have to help the DNR they can't do it themselves. Get plate numbers vehicle and four wheeler makes. I like to mention around people that I'm not afraid to call T.I.P, the more people that are willing to get the word out that they will help enforce the laws might help make the law breakers think twice if they have to watch out for more than the C.O. truck.

Roofer,

The tone of my comment was just an FYI. I didn't know where the picture was taken - glad it was in a man made pond and not a public wetland - I didn't mean for it to result in bickering.

As for permanent stands info on state forest lands-The last I've heard the DNR is allowing them at this point unless they are so elaborate they constitute a building. I like to keep track of such things though so I don't miss any rule changes.

County lands are controlled by the county. Cass and Crow Wing put restrictions on permanent stands and the Feds outlaw them also. Eventually the state will probably follow suite. With all the differing requirements, its important to know what kind of public land one is hunting. Permanent stands are getting more elaborate each year with folks now clearing trees for shooting lanes and food plots. Eventually all public agencies will have to restrict this activity as it is getting out of hand.

Originally Posted By: Recon

County land is not the same as state forests. That is my point.

Originally Posted By: recon
so looking at a picture of an atv being riden in water does little to impress me, actually it makes me ----ed!!

This is the sentence I had a problem with. It's a border line personal attack based only on assumptions and opinions.

Carry on.

I don't want to feel that I have to walk on pins and needles because of a picture. Like I said, even if it was on public land, there are areas like this that are legal.

My friends, family, and myself have spent alot of money and time fixing land that the dnr is responsible for fixing and I don't want to be treated like a redneck hillbilly with an atv that likes to go muddin' just because of a picture and someone else's personal judgement.

Like I said, it's easier to just simply ask.

As for having only a few posts, I too went for my own assumptions and apologize. Some people just lurk and jump in when they think something is wrong or they don't like. I take this forum as a community with seperate but similar goals.

Roofer, it looks like your still bickering with yourself.

Don't worry, we all think you are law abiding, and your picture is real cool...

I think this topic is sufficiently covered.

Originally Posted By: ImissReeds
Roofer, it looks like your still bickering with yourself.

does this really help matters any?

Look guys, I know Roofer personally and as a DNR Instructor, there is no one person on this site, let alone in this state, who is a bigger steward to the environment than Roofer. I have been to his cabin and have seen the mess left behind by unscrupulous slobs which Roofer has repaired.

As Roofer mentioned, ask before we jump to conclusions. He would be more than happy to give an explanation where his photos were taken.

Now, with that being said, let's put this issue to rest now. Keep in mind that as years go by, what we might interpret in the laws today, are going to be different tomorrow.

No more snide comments, no more poking jabs at anyone. This site is the best that I frequent and it's all because of the members. Let's not turn FM into one of those "other sites".

Thank You.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

[bowfin please note:]

Recon,

your statement about someones avatar:

so looking at a picture of an atv being riden in water does little to impress me, actually it makes me ----ed!!

violates forum policy twice. It is a veiled attack and you and bowfin are going off topic in an obvious unfriendly direction. Please be sure to read forum policy before posting again. Let's please get back on topic as well.

Keep it fun and friendly please.

i had a problem with some guys while bow hunting this year. i was hunting some public land that had several monster bucks. 3 guys on four-wheelers did not want use to hunt there because they were going to rifle hunt it. everyday i hunted it they would drive by my stand on there four-wheelers and go drive around in the bedding area. it turned all the deer nocturnal. i just don't understand some people.