Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassNspear

Best Winter Story In Metro

4 posts in this topic

I know that everyone must have a great story to talk about from what happend over this cold winter. I was glad to get out with alot of people from FM spearing this year. There was alot of great times, being out on Long Lake, or up for the spearing get to gator as well on Big Lake.

Lets hear all your stories, as to the great times on the ice this winter.

Came back from school to see friends and do a little fishing so we went out to the Centerville Ice Fishing contest, didnt catch anything, and it was a little chilly out there without a shack, but it was still a great time.

I took my father in law out ice fishing for his first time. He is is originally from Taiwan, and it does't get any colder than 40 degrees in winter there. So basically the idea of walking out on a frozen chunk of ice and drilling holes is a foreign concept. I took him out to one of my favorite little metro honey holes and we pounded crappies and sunfish non stop. In fact, in the first ten minutes we caught about ten decent crappies. And to top it all off, he caught the largest sunfish I've personally seen from Metro waters. It was a gigantic orange bellied hybrid gill that absolutely dwarfed the 8" gills we had in a pile...had to be pushing a pound. I felt great to take a guy out on the ice for the first time and catch a bunch of nice fish.

I have talked to some of the oldtimers about sunny fishing and they said the real big sunnies (slabs) are to be had in deep water 30' to 40' with the most lightest line possible. I have yet to try that this winter but will give it a try after the reg. season ends.