Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fishinalot

Snow cover

7 posts in this topic

Heading up this weekend. How much snow is on the Lake? Haven't been up all year and want to avoid the trailer and the sled if possible and just stick with the truck.

I was up two weeks ago and the roads were plowed pretty nicely, I'm sure the winds have closed of some of the less used ones. But the one time we did go off road with the 4x4 Mitsubishi Montero we got stuck, bring a shovel for sure. You will have some trouble if you try to go off road. Partly because the banks are high on the sides and it's difficult to find a spot to leave the road and then come back on.

How much snow is there off road?

there is alot in places, and none in others. I'd probably bring a sled or wheeler if you have the option. I saw lots of trucks stuck last week. the problem is that the snow is hard. you'll be driving along just fine, then all of a sudden...thud, you break through and have to spend 10 + minutes with a shovel!!! I had the wheeler and got around just fine. plus with the wind, there's quite a few big drifts that are hard to see until it's too later, if you do go with the truck, bring a couple shovels and just be very careful!!! but I'd definetly bring the sled

the warm weather this weekend should help it start to melt down.

I agree, I got stuck with a 2006 f150 twice just moving along then you hit a bank that is tuff and your stuck. Now you can get out simply by shoveling but it took an extra half hour to hour to get out where I wanted to go. Otherwise stink to the rouds and you should be good, if you don't mind being in the crowd. I was out on andersons reef and went out to 7 mile on wheelers, many areas had little of no snow then others had huge long drifts.

Better have chains if your planning on getn off the plowed road! Anything else forget it with a truck. Wheeler ya prolly, but i wouldnt be going anywhere out on the north end without a shovel and a heavy foot!

May just wait a couple of weeks for the melt down!

Thanks for the info.!!