Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charliepete2

Night Bite?

15 posts in this topic

How is the night bite on Red? I'm making my maiden voyage this weekend and I'm wondering how much luck I can expect once the sun goes down. Also, if you had to pin point one time of day to really be set up in a good place and pouring it on, what would it be?

when i was up a week and a half ago the night bite was the best bite we had except for sunrise. day bite and evening bite was slow but as soon as it got dark we started catching them throughout the night here and there....nothing mind blowing but a couple fish per hour throughout the night.

I agree fishinguru,

we were up last week and we had to pull up the rattle reels because we couldn't sleep. The best bite was throughout the night hours, but just got back today from URL and there was not much of a night bite at all. I am sure the weather played a big part and I am sure it will pick up with the nicer weather comming this weekend.

Honestly, we usually get a couple of naps in during the day and fish all night long....one year we probably caught 75% of our fish from 10pm to 8am!!! GLOW EM UP!

Last weekend we had the best luck by far between 1:30 and 6:30 in the afternoon. the night bite never really materialized for us.

I live for the night bite on Red!!!

I live for the day bite on Red! grin.gif

I'd have to agree with hanson... Come March, day fishing is going to be great. You'll be able to stand on the ice, jump between holes, not worrying about your holes freezing over.

I remember a time on Red when come 7-8 pm, there was almost a traffic jam heading to shore. Miles of brake lights. Seemed like the fishing always picked up about then. The best fish stories I have to tell come from after that time... especially after going to shore for a beverage and then fishing until who knows when. Vexilars lit up like christmas trees.

When those folks start heading in to eat and drink at West Wind and Hillman's, we're out there catching what they're missing! \:\)

For me the day bite has been best over the years. The night bite can be very good as well but seems a bit more sporadic than the day bite except for the early evening bite.

I agree, I was just up there Feb 15-18 and noticed that when there was daylight the bite was a little better except the sundown bite of course and a hour or two there after. Also noticed a lull between 12 noon and about 3pm. The over night was the dead sea for us. I think everyone will tell you a little different.

In March of 2003-2005 the best crappie bite for me were 1 hour before sunset til 8:30-10 at night were producing. I have got some during the day time but not too many. But since the dark hours have produced better for me.

Yep, the old bite was usually a big one 1/2-1 hour before sunset to about 1 hour after, then it picked up again around 730-800 PM until around 1000-1030 PM or sometimes later, then a little flurry around Midnight and 2 AM then relatively quiet til 1/2 hour before Sunrise then the cycle reversed.

I think it was Perch, then Crappie, then Walleye, at evening, then in the Morning, Walleye, then Crappie, then Perch, till it got light enough for Northern in the morning, then the Perch would hide near the bottom, then relatively dead from 11/12 AM till about 3 PM, then the Northerns would pick up...but I'm not sure any more as it has been so slow, and so few Perch or Crappies...

So starting in the Morning it was Walleye, Crappie, Perch, Northern, then in the Afternoon, Northern, Perch, Crappie, Walleye, and then Crappie or Walleye at Night, once the Walleyes came back...I think...

Now it's Afew walleye here and there, a Crappie tossed in now and again, occasionally a Gator, and wheres the Perch???

we almost caught as many perch as we did walleyes.

everything depends where your set up and how your fishing...there's just spots better in the morning then at night and then there's better spots at night then in the morning.