Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
new_kid

GPS

9 posts in this topic

I am looking to buy a chip for my lowrance gps i usualy fish south west minnesota and i am wondering which brand or chip is best any information would be helpfull thanks

Lake Master Pro '07.

What makes that one better the only reason i ask is i was told by a cabellas sales person that they would go with the navionics chip but realy couldn't give me an answer why

I like the accuracy of the Lake Master chip more than Navionics; personal preferance more than anything.

I thought that the Navionics chip covers more area, but it isn't as accurate.

If that's the case, then you'll need to decide between more accuracy or more info on more lakes.

I've got the Navionics, and on occasion I have noticed contours not quite jiving with our fish finder. So accuracy can definitely be an issue. However, I completely enjoy having contours of the Missouri River, the Iowa Great Lakes, and all the Minnesota lakes all on one chip.

I only just recently bought a Lowrance H2O, so I don't have a lot of experience with using the Navionics chip on a hand-held gps. I also don't have any first-hand experience of any kind with the Lakes Master chips, but if I didn't travel around a lot fishing different areas I would certainly lean towards the Lakes Master.

This is all predicated on my original recollection that the Navionics covers more area but is less accurate, based on what I vaguely remember from when I was shopping for a chip. So I recommend verifying my original statement before taking anything I just said seriously.... ;\)

thank you for the information i was leaning towards the lake master chip already because i normaly only fish lakes in the sothern half of Minnesota but anyone with any more info would be apreciated

I just bought the Lake Master for my lowrance hand held unit. I live in west central MN and the lakes ive used it on around here has been very accurate. I also used it up on Big Winnie and was amazed how spot on it was. Thats my thoughts about it, hope it helps.

I have both chips and am in southwest MN. Most of these dishpan lakes have very poor contour lines, if any. The lakes in south central MN are a little deeper and actually have some structure. If the lakes you fish are on both chips, I would go with Lakemaster. I prefer their accuracy and you can zoom in further with Lakemaster.

I typically purchase the chip with the most info for the lakes in the area that I'm fishing. Both of these companies make a very good product.

Look at the area you are going to be fishing and what lakes and then check the info offered on each chip.