• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am looking to buy a chip for my lowrance GPS and am wanting information as to which one is the best i normaly only fish minnesota with the willmar area being the most common along with the rest of south west minnesota out to the south dakota border any information would be helpfull

I second the Lakemaster much more detail. My navionics showed i was in the middle of a lake once and was stiil on the trailer at the landing.

Originally Posted By: HonkerDown
I second the Lakemaster much more detail. My navionics showed i was in the middle of a lake once and was stiil on the trailer at the landing.

That's funny, I wonder if the navionics is the one my dad has. We always seem to be trolling on the road, or the depths don't match up with the depth finder.

Neither of them are too accurate except for the "high def" maps. The rest of the maps are just done off of DNR maps, which are usually not very accurate.

Originally Posted By: new_kid
I am looking to buy a chip for my lowrance GPS and am wanting information as to which one is the best i normaly only fish minnesota with the willmar area being the most common along with the rest of south west minnesota out to the south dakota border any information would be helpfull

Newkid I have lakemaster on CD if ya get in the area I'll print ya some maps but wiggums right only the hidef are much good the rest you could get the map books out there and have maps.Also with the CD I can transfer GPS back & forth between handheld & lakemaster on screen,Large computer screen is easier to see.

Thank you for the input i bought the lake master chip and it looks to be what i am looking for so thanks again for all the information

Actually when the gps shows you on the road when you are in the middle of the lake it is not because of the chip you have. The GPS is not getting a good signal and it may be off by a larger distance then normal. On average your gps should keep you withn about 6-12 feet of where it shows you. But with cloud cover or other oddities it can show you off by hundreds of feet. The lake master chip has better detail because of the 1 foot increment plotting they have done on different lakes and they only put on the chip the lakes they have actually mapped out. Navionics on the other hand has more lakes because it implements not only the ones they do but also the ones the DNR has entered in. I actually have both chips for when I go to new lakes that my Lake master doesnt support I can put in the Navionics to get at least close to where I want to be.

YBD, I have to disagree.

The only thing on the LM chip that are really accurate are the HD lakes. These are the ones that LM has actually GPS surveyed. Other lakes (the ones with the 5 ft contours) are just based off of old DNR maps. Also, the roads are not GPS surveyed, so they can be quite a bit off.

Games/Norway (my home lakes), for instance, are on the LM chip but are not HD maps. The maps give me an idea of location, but are not anywhere near what I'd call accurate.