• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Chemicals, Plant Management and Habitat...

I would agree Muddog that Mother nature would be the best if possible. Seems Mother nature is much better at handling these type things than the humans that mess it all up.

One of the things I learned at the seminar was that the seeds can live for long periods of time buried under the sand so on and so fourth, so spraying the active weed itself will not totally eradicate it.

I also agree that Mother nature will take her course and handle it much better than human interaction.

Depending on the lake, ~40 - 60% of native vegetation species are suspectible to being killed off when the curly leaf pond weed is being chemically treated. However, native vegetation is typically not active when the curly leaf pond weed dies off, so actual suspectibility is questionable. In the case of Lake Washington, there are 19 native vegetation species spread throughout the lake (very diverse), excluding curly leaf pond weed. On the other hand, Lake Tetonka has very little, if any, native vegetation, so to eradicate the curly leaf pond weed is not a good idea at all.

Milfoil is around but not Eurasian; it's Northern Milfoil. Check the postings at your local landings.

Hopefully, which is a big "hope", is that the Eurasian Milfoil does not show it's ugly face in this area.

Often times, curly leaf pond weed will grow under the ice throughout the hard water season. This doesn't help anything either.

The seeds are called turions.

Eurasian milfoil is around here, Clear L waseca, German and big Jeff. and Cedar. This is why we need to be so careful when going from lake to lake also invasive plant thrive when there is a void to be fill like when vegetation is removed from a lake. Just think about it if you did a whole lake treatment for curlyleaf you have just created a perfect situation for eurasian milfoil to explode.

250XB,

Yes, you got it. I just realized now that I should have been more specific in my earlier post. I was referring more to Lake Washington and Lake Tetonka.

• 2 weeks later...

After becoming a member of our lake assoc. it became clear that alot of lake shore owners seem to forget that their property ends at the high water mark. The water is property of the State. everyone has a right to it, not just them.

I am the most worried about the chemicals that they are using to spray the curly pondweed. You are spraying something that we know very little about the effects later down the road. Could it be something like the chemicals that 3-M put in the soils and years later we are paying for it.

Thank you but this information is for everyone, not just me.

• 2 weeks later...

With the cooler water temps, how close to the walleye opener will the spraying take place.

Lake Associations are not allowed to spray within 3 - 5 days on either side of the walleye opener.

The timing of chemical application will be difficult this year for most Lake Associations with the cool spring. It will be interesting to see what unfolds. I plan to go to the Lake Washington Association meeting in June and then we'll have another public forum in late June or early July.

I just got off the phone with Greg Engels, Vegetation Control, of the Lake Washington Association and he updated me on the pre-chemical application survey performed by the DNR today. The reports were very positive all around for Lake Washington.

On Lake Washington, the area to be treated is ~43 acres, which is a significant reduction from 2007. In 2007, ~65 acres were treated for Curly Leaf Pondweed. Also, the survey done today showed a lot of native vegetation growing in the place of where Curly Leaf Pondweed once was present and/or more dense. The chemical application will not happen until at least the week after opener, which makes the application time frame even tighter. Time will tell...

FYI: Let myself or the Lake Washington Association know about what you're seeing out there this summer. Feedback is important. Thank you.

Thanks for the info TO. I'm sure that this site could form a pretty good log on area lakes and the vegatation that is growing in them throughout the year. It would be great to compile the data for information to the lake associations and DNR for future vegatation plans.

man i was watching the twins when i started reading this thread and it was 2-0 twins. then i finished the thread and it is now 7-0, thanks alot mad.gif j/k

That's what this post or my e-mail address should be used for. Thank you in advance for your help and cooperation.

• 2 weeks later...

The Waterville Lakes Assocition is having the results of the Flyover on Sat. May 24 9:00 at WEM Auditorium in Waterville.

The Flyover that was done last fall over Lake Tetonka and Sakatah. It going to show problem areas that if cleaned up should improve water quality.

It should be interesting to see and if anyone wants to come, it open to the public, I for one will be there.

Thanks for posting Ken. I'd love to make it but I will be at the in-laws. Please provide a recap. Thank you.

I was just hoping I would be done with field work to go. Now the real work starts

You can post the information in here if you'd like. Thanks.