• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My pup eats his own scat!

maros91

We just got an 8 month old American Water Spaniel. He was the runt of the litter with a birth defect on his nose and nobody wanted him so we took him in. Just about everytime we let him out to do his business he turns around and eats it. We also have a 2yr old AWS and I have caught the pup trying to eat his scat also. Any tricks or tactics that I can try? Thanks guys!

It's called copophragia, and it can be a mixed bag of reasons as to why your dog does it. There are no miracle cures, but the first and best thing you can do is to change/improve your dogs diet. Start with a highly digestible variety of premium dog food (No, Dog Chow isn't premium) and see if that doesn't work. The stools can sometimes still resemble food. If the diet is better digested, that will no longer be the case.

That, and perhaps a breath mint...... grin.gif

I have a dog that will eat his from time to time, my buddy owns a litter mate to my dog and she does it to. might be something genetic. i was told its because there missing a vitamin in the diet.

It is not a genetic thing. It is just like irvingdog said. The p00 still has undigested food in it so the dog thinks it is food. As gross as that is, it is quite common. Really makes you want to have the dog lick your face huh?

lol im sure a heck of a lot more dogs do it than people know of, how often do you watch your dogs every move when you let him out..

Dogs really like cat [PoorWordUsage] also, with all the nutrients left in it, it must be tasty! grin.gif

When i was at my local farmer feed and pet supply store today i noticed a new product made by Solid Gold and it was called Puppy No Eat. Its made for your problem. You mix it in with their food and its supposed to keep them from eating the [PoorWordUsage]. I have no idea if it works tho. Im sure there are other companies that make a product like this too but you can go to the solid gold website and look for a retailer near u if interested. I think the jar was around 10 bucks

There are several products on the market for [PoorWordUsage] eaters. Forbid is available in most pet supply catalogs. It usually works in just a couple of doses. Your best bet... leash your pup and pick up after it as soon as it goes. I realize that isn't always schedule friendly but you can't correct a problem unless you are right there. A few days of instant correction and you should have good results.

Honestly.. If if this is the biggest problem you have your not doing bad. Were talking about animals the eat out of the trash can,drink out of toilets,etc. If your looking to break this problem.. Good luck, and whos gonna watch there dog everytime they let them outside?

It doesn't have to be done every time forever. Just everytime for a few days. He'll get the idea. And if you allow your dog to eat from the trash you're asking for a large vet bill.

Originally Posted By: Biff Tannen
Thanks Eric. I may have to try that.

Uh, I think your supposed to give it to the dog.

It is a very common thing for puppies especially to do this. I tried the forbid, it worked for a short time period, but to be honest with you the best success I had was for a couple of weeks, I tried to go out with him every time he went to the bathroom and kept the yard clean of any feces. My pup kind of forgot all about his gross habit and his mouth has been minty clean since. Good luck

soldier girl, do you think there is actually people out there there that LET there dogs eat out of a trash can?

Dckasten,

I know there are some people out there who LET their dogs eat out of the trash. Then they bring them to the vet and wonder why they have pancreatitis, gastroenteritis and any number of other digestive issues. The comment most commonly made by those owners, "It's just a dog, why can't he eat from the trash?" Granted these are typically very "backward minded" individuals who don't usually think of their dog as a member of the family or really as even a friend. They are out there, and I've unfortunately had to treat dogs for their owner's ignorance.

Chevtrev,

Very uncalled for comment. I hardly think I'm anti-American. I volunteered to come back over here (the Middle East) and just extended my military contract for 6 more years. The quotes are to get people thinking, not necessarily my personal views. This is not the forum for debating politics. You should probably reread the top of the forum page where it says keep posts fun, friendly and sharing with good family values. Have a nice day! grin.gif

Soldier Girl, I didn't get a chance to read chevtrev's diatribe, but I don't hold with trashing anyone serving our country. My oldest son did a year in Afghanistan and it wasn't fun for him. Even if you're not in combat its no fun. His wife emptied his accounts, maxed his cards,sold his house and ran off with an internet lothario. Question.... how would we go about sending care packages to you? My bride and I would like to do some small thing for someone over there and the last one we know has come back. My son had a support group that pulled him through and his care packages were strange, one had a Popeil's Pocket Fisherman and the only nearby water was a creek about six inches deep. He fished one morning just to drive the other guys crazy. List any needs you have,,,beef jerky, candy, batteries, small change,(Martin said they used chits for quarters) etc. He shared the candy but kept the jerky and smoked oysters for himself. Take care, keep your head down and never volunteer.Oh, and check the ammo as you load your clips. Some of the bullets aren't seated too well. bob & Virginia.

Thanks icehousebob!

We all appreciate the support. I'm sorry to hear about your son's wife. We have a couple of guys in the unit going through the same thing. As far as needing care packages, I am fortunate enough to be located in an area where I can easily get things. My dad (Juneau4) hooks me up with all kinds of stuff. If you want to send packages to soldiers who are in need go to anysoldier.com and they can steer you where you need to go. Thanks again!

Soldier Girl, Are you sure I can't send you some beef jerky and cans of smoked oysters?? They'll put hair on your chest. My son had some unusual requests for care packages. He was a MAYOR of part of Bagrams Air Base and some of his requests were strange. The military spent megabucks but he couldn't get any hand tools, so I sent him screw drivers, vice grips, allen wrenches, cresent wrenches, etc. His friends started sending him the strangest items they could to take his mind off the nasty female(see your mom about using this word) . One item of note was a fan belt for a Yugo. We also sent him dog stuff for a stray dog that his unit adopted and sent back home. He was feeding cats that lived under his hut. Our family has been dragging home strays since they could walk. My daughter is a vet so she can afford to collect horses. Any howww, if you're anywhere near the twin cities, give us a shout when you get back. You and my daughter could spend a good day camparing notes on critters.She's a fanatic on proper diet for animals. And I could help fatten you back up after all the military food. Hang in there.

Originally Posted By: SoldierGirl
Dckasten,

I know there are some people out there who LET their dogs eat out of the trash. Then they bring them to the vet and wonder why they have pancreatitis, gastroenteritis and any number of other digestive issues. The comment most commonly made by those owners, "It's just a dog, why can't he eat from the trash?" Granted these are typically very "backward minded" individuals who don't usually think of their dog as a member of the family or really as even a friend. They are out there, and I've unfortunately had to treat dogs for their owner's ignorance.

Chevtrev,

Very uncalled for comment. I hardly think I'm anti-American. I volunteered to come back over here (the Middle East) and just extended my military contract for 6 more years. The quotes are to get people thinking, not necessarily my personal views. This is not the forum for debating politics. You should probably reread the top of the forum page where it says keep posts fun, friendly and sharing with good family values. Have a nice day! grin.gif

saying that war is a crime is neither friendly nor good for families to see