Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrcarp

scheels rods

10 posts in this topic

hi considering buying a scheels 6'6 med heavy rod any advice felt real nice its a spinning rod thanks

Scheels makes some quality gear. What "series" are you looking at(pro, tourney, or guide)? They increase in quality in that respective order(similar to how St. Croix rods get progressively better from premier to avid to Legend elite) I have a St. Croix Avid series rod and a scheels guide series rod and I think the scheels rod is very comparable (if not a bit better). The best part about scheels rods is their return policy. I you don't like your rod, just take it back, no questions asked.

short version, I would buy it. For the money it is a very good rod.

I've used/owned the guide series rod, and In my opinion that's the only one I would buy. About 5 years ago they used to use a G-loomis blank, and were very comparable to a GL2 rod. I don't know if that has changed since I left scheels. The fisherman and tournament series rods were made in china and considerably cheaper, scheels just put thier name on them. If I remember right the tourney series ran about $60-70 (depending on length) and I thought that there were comparable/better quality rods at better/same prices than the low end scheels rods. I haven't looked lately but berkely ligntning rods and fenwick eagle rods used to run about the same price as the tourney series and were a better rod with a 2 year warranty. I did take a lot of returns on the 2-pc rods, they seemed to break more often. I had a lot of customers who would wait until scheels would run the $10 off sale, and buy a bunch of the guide rods. Scheels would make a large order in the spring, and wouldn't replace the sold rods due to production runs (until the following spring). That made it harder to find the popular sizes, like a 6.6' medium action spinning rod, which would usually sell out by june.

thanks for all youre help i was looking at the tournament series rod im not real sure what to do got 2 different opinions one good one not so good im looking to buy one real nice rod for myself not over 80$ thanks

Look at Fenwick HMG or St Croix premier series rod. They are the highest quality rods for about $80. The fenwick has a lifetime warranty and the St. Croix is a 2 or 3 yr. I would lean towards the St. Croix because they are super lightweight and very sensitive. You might want to check out reeds or other sporting goods stores that are having specials right now. You can usually find some good deals right now (before the spring equipment arrives), and also at the sportsman's shows around march.

hi me again does any one know about cabelas fish eagle 2 rods they are about 70 $ im having a hard time finding fenwick rods i need to order this online mamohr686 thanks for your advice im very gun shy on st croix i had one snap and couldnt get it replaced i only had a 1# pike on it but if it works for you thats all that matters. a really enjoy all the advice

I use the fish eagle II and have been very happy with them, for not only the price point but the action, durability, and sensitivity have been good for me. I use them in open water and on their ice rods as well

I use the fish eagle rods have 4 of them. The last 2 i just bought in Mitchell SD. They were on sale for $39.95 great deal. That was 2 weeks ago. I think they are not going to make them any more.

I bought my brother in law a sheels rod for Christmas 2 year ago, he loves it, I was looking at st. Croix, and the worker recommended the sheels, which was cheaper, but still has a lifetime warranty on it, if it breaks, theyll take it back, (I should have kept that rod for myself!!!)

Take a look at the Shimano Clarus ($60.00 +/-) with a lifetime warranty. Spend just a little more than you want and get a Compre in that 89.00 range. Both very solid rods.