Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tullibee

Central Gunflint Trail Report 2-18-08 (photo included)

6 posts in this topic

The weather for the day was quite cold along with a stiff wind out of the north, but the sun was shining so all in all not too bad. Hit the lake with a lifelong resident of the Trail (Warsh from FM), albeit only 18 years of residence.

Decided to try a new area of a lake that I have been fishing quite often with pretty good success. This area consisted of a 20 ft saddle that came from the main shoreline and ran about 150 yards to a hump that came up to around 3 ft, with 40 ft not far of each side of the saddle. Surprisingly enough we were able to find the 3 ft spot right away. We set up the shelter right between this rise and shore, threw out a couple tip-ups and started jigging. It didn't take long for a flag to fly, but just a beat up sucker to show for it. Around an hour went by with only baitfish being marked on the vexi another flag. This flag yielded the same result with some line stripped out but no fish. I reset the tip-up and returned back to the shelter to start jigging again. When dropping my slender spoon down it must have swung way off the the side out of the cone of the flasher because I couldn't see it. Brought it up off the bottom a few cranks and no more than three jigs later a fish absolutely crushed the untipped spoon. After a nice battle a 20" clipped finned laker came up the hole.

20" laker

corylaker.jpg

Managed one more smaller laker in out total of about 5 hours of fishing/BSing. Thanks to some extreme downsizing. The day was actually slower that normal but I decided to post a report because I actually had someone to take some photos. Heading out with Warsh tonight to chase some pout.

Cory

Thanks, Cory. Nice fat fish there! grin.gif

I was fishing a nasty cliff on b-side went from 30 to 100 in 20 yards. [PoorWordUsage] rock bass or smallies where messing everything up. [PoorWordUsage] rough fish if u ask me.

i wounder who took that pic?????

Nice fish, I was hoping to get one of those this weekend, but no luck... weekend count for me.. 1 burbot 4 crappies 3 sunnies... poor very poor

Just got back from 4 day trip to gunflint. Fished gunlint 2 days and another lake 2 days. Caught 20 + fish ranging from 9" to 4lbs. Most of the fish were caught on the other lake where we only saw 1 other person all day. Also lost 2 bigger fish on this lake. Lots of people on gunflint,some did well but we weren't that some. Didn't realize the trout were so dark in gunflint. This was our first trip to that area and now I know 4 days isn't enough time to fish all the water I wanted to fish so we are already planning to come back and see if we can find a trout or two in those very quiet lakes.