Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gurkster

2/16 Fishing Report

3 posts in this topic

Four of us were out of Hillmans on Sat 2/16 from noon until about 7:00am Sunday morning. Nothing until about 4:00pm and then the bite started. We got 4 Crappies, a couple of Jumbo Perch (about 11") and some smaller walleyes all before 11:00pm. During the night we caught another 5 Crappies and a few more walleyes. Seems that were we opposite of others we talked to, who said that they couldn't find crappies, but the walleyes were really biting. When we left we had 8 crappies, 4 walleyes and 2 perch in the bucket on our way to LOW for 2 days. (One crappie found its way back down the hole after dancing with me a bit). Red glow and a plain red hook seemed to be the ticket for us, but I will admit that is what we used most of the time.

FYI - LOW we were about 4.5 miles past Pine Island and got about 50 walleyes over the 2 days. Nothing over 16" and many were small, we also managde 4 nice perch there.

Good to hear of some crappies. They seem to be showing up more and more on the reports. I will be heading up Friday afternoon and fish until Saturday morning. A couple friends and I are going to rent a day house for the night, if that makes sense. It will be interesting to see if I can stay awake all night and fish. I am betting I will wake up in my chair with most of my fishing gear lying on the bottom of the lake! Expecially since I have to supply the gear for my buddies and they don't fish. Hey, I needed somebody to split the cost.

Any good bait choices: fat heads, crappies minnows, emralds?

The red lake mix of crappie minnows and fatheads should work nicely.