Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fish_slayer85

recently fishing sandbay

3 posts in this topic

A buddy and I recently went fishing on birch point out in sand bay. I just wanted to post a report that fishing was really good on friday probably our best day overall this year. Not that the eyes were huge but we did run into a good school of them that seemed to really like the forage minnow green in color. We were fishing in about 34-36 feet of water but some of the eyes seemed to be suspended, thank god for my vexilar. I was just wondering if anyone else had been out in the area and how they were doing?

Hey Fishslayer,

Congrats on your success out in Sand Bay. Often times as you observed the eyes are going to come in suspended as the baitfish in which they are feeding on are suspending. Many times the bigger fish will come in 5-15 feet off the bottom while the little guys like to hug the bottom for fear of being the next meal. You hit it on the head with the electronics. I often like to compare it to bird hunting without a hunting dog. It definately helps your odds of being effective. I've always said bird hunting without a dog is a nice walk in the woods. Fishing without electronics is a nice relaxing day on the ice. Ha!

Good Fishing Slayer!

BIG FISH/small crowds

Rainydaze

Hey RD have you been out lately? Where have you been having your best success? I will definetly try your advice for staying off the bottom for the larger eyes. It just seems like when the fish have been suspended it has been a little more difficult to get them to strike. Any suggestions on a lure or tactic? Good luck