Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GoggleEye

McCarrons Lake Question

10 posts in this topic

Can you drive vehicles on McCarrons?? Also, do they have any restrictions on gas augers here? I have never been there and may check it out sometime. Thanks.

GE

You can drive, augers are fine. Ive fished it a few times never with much success, its a tough lake.

Let us know if you hit the jackpot goggleeye. \:\)

Used to live close to it but never had any luck either other than on panfish, there are a few decent sunnies to be had, or there were...

Well, if I get out there, I will be fishing for walleyes. Don't know if I will be able to do it though as I only have tonight and tomorrow to do it and then I am out of town for the weekend. Walleye closes on Sunday, so I will have to find some free time to get out there tonight or tomorrow. I will report if I do. Thanks for answering my questions.

GE

I would consider fishing McCarron for walleye's a big waste of time. Even if you do catch one I highly doubt it'll top 12 inches. There's a handful of lakes not more than 10 minutes away that would be better.

Originally Posted By: JBMasterAngler
I would consider fishing McCarron for walleye's a big waste of time. Even if you do catch one I highly doubt it'll top 12 inches. There's a handful of lakes not more than 10 minutes away that would be better.

Agreed.

I fish it for giggles out of the boat with my son, and catch stunted sunnies, and a decent amount of small northerns. However, if you like carp, and are stealthy enough from a boat to fish them near shallows, there are some real monsters in there. Some of the biggest I have ever seen, even compared to the 'sippi. Most of the shore is private though, and the spots you can reach on foot arent that great for them.

I have heard this about McCarrons. Someone did tell me though that there are some old ancient walleye stockings still roaming this lake though and that once in a while someone will pull up a pig. I just thought I would try it seeing how I can't buy a decent walleye on any of the other metro lakes. Even with my camera down, I have seen squat for walleyes on these metro lakes. Why I moved here is beyond me???? confused.gif\:\( What a mistake that was, oh well. I wish I lived close to Tonka, seems to be the only lake with decent numbers and sizes of eyes. I will report back if I make it out there.

GE

I think you would fair better at gervais. It's only about 5 minutes away from mccarron. They stock it with fingerlings instead of fry, so the survival is better. Your chance at numbers and keepers are greater there.

There are some nice Crappies their also.