• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Guys need advice on owning a fish house on Mille Lacs

MNHuntress

I'm not sure where to post this(because there is not the stupid questions forum) but I thought I would try here...

All winter long I have been toying with the idea of owning a fish house on Mille Lacs which would be used for a winter and summer spot. This would actually be a chick fish house, because a bunch of us ladies like to fish and this would be a way to get out. I fish usually 2-3 times per week every week, so I just didn't fall out of the minnow scoop and I've fished Mille Lacs several times. I wouldn't fish the lake during the summer just smaller lakes around there. I know it can be very productive or not so much just like any lake. What I need is advice on the pitfalls of owning one, any advice you can give me on the questions below or things you wish you would do different.

Wiring 12v or 110v, which brings into play noisy generators (seen posts on here before about that topic), but then again 110 gives you more options, some generators have to be better than others

toilets (again some have to be better than others)

fish house materials (more than likely I would buy a fixer-upper and go from there)

resort owners and what to watch out for, would like a resort with a bar, shower, etc so one can take a break if needed

How would you move a house (besides on the ice) if you wanted to move to a different resort, maybe it's not possible and too expensive

Are resort owners good about putting your house on fish

Why do some houses have short wave radios

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to go into this with my eyes wide open. We all see the advantages of it, but with gas prices you have to be able to justify it too. Maybe it's not all what it's cracked up to be (just like a cabin alot of work). So any advice good, bad or indifferent would be great. Thanx.

Sure you can, but I just did fall off the electrical wagon. I meant 120 v instead of 110v in my post. That's why I hire out wiring.

most houses are wired for both 12 volt and 110, you just need to make sure the correct bulbs are in (speaking from experience here)

Toilets...you're on your own!!! I stand for #1 and drive into town for the other!!!

you can find a good house pretty reasonable this time of year. just take a road trip, drive around the entire lake and look at resorts dead storage areas for signs, and also their board in the bars. there is also a resort on the west side..rocky reef, that was selling off some of his houses pretty reasonable.

the resort is a personal preference, just check into many of them, because the prices/services/etc vary greatly. I'm on the west side and pay under 400 a year and love it.

there are a couple guys around mille lacs that move houses. I had my 10x16 moved when I bought it, cost about $175 and it made it without incident.

no matter where your house it, there is not guarentee for fish!!

hope this helps, good luck, mille lacs is a great place to fish from!!

Thanx, great info.

Maybe somebody knows on this toilet deal because I see alot of them with bathrooms, are these like decomposing toilets or what the heck does everybody else do, cuz that aspect could be a mess.

i have built a portable potty that sits right beside my sleeper.is 4 x 8 gotta bench in the back with a toilet seat on it and bucket goes under it.if you do buid 1 gotta get the foam seat not the hard seat.it also got a heater in it.no need to run into shore or run around the lake tring to find a potty.you dont want the potty tobe in your fish house.

Now is a pretty good time to go house shopping....Many of the bars, restraunts, local newspapers, etc. have them posted.

The resort you choose to "call home" will take some homework. Do they offer the bar/restraunt/bathroom/shower stuff you want ? Do they even offer warmweather use ("camping") of the fishhouse? Is there electrical available during spring/summer storage? And the bottomline, what do they charge for all this "stuff".

The electrical should be no big deal... It SHOULD be wired for 120v-AC which will work for 12v-DC too.....Instead of plugging in to an outlet or generator for 120V-AC, you connect to a 12V battery..and like the previous post said, change the lite bulbs for whichever power you're using.

The bathroom setup is based on your tolerance for cold, plus how fast you can drive to the resort before "answering the knock at the back door". The best built-in bathroom I've seen is like a small closet with a bench/seat/lid. Under said lid/bench/seat is unheated space with a bucket & plastic bag...This "business end" of the operation is accessed from a small door outside. Good Luck with your quest... P.S. One of the best resorts I've used is Mac's Twin Bay...although they are spendy if you want to use the house year-round.

There was a recent move by the county board regarding the use of fish house facilities during the summer months. They are looking to license resorts who allow this to happen and also place criteria on how they can operate. A meeting was held last month and a lot of the resort owners were in attendance. I believe at this time a committe was set up to study this issue. There are definitley some hard feelings between the two factions, so I would certainly discuss this with the resort of your choosing to see how it may effect your plans. Good luck and hang on. Bill

Originally Posted By: bturck
There was a recent move by the county board regarding the use of fish house facilities during the summer months. They are looking to license resorts who allow this to happen and also place criteria on how they can operate. A meeting was held last month and a lot of the resort owners were in attendance. I believe at this time a committe was set up to study this issue. There are definitley some hard feelings between the two factions, so I would certainly discuss this with the resort of your choosing to see how it may effect your plans. Good luck and hang on. Bill

that's why I'm on the west side, not in Mille Lacs County!!! not an issue for us, can use it anytime.

Ryan, lets hope it stays like that. Unfortunatley once the door is open just a crack everyone wants to open it wider. Bill

the other counties don't have as much real estate as Mille Lacs county does on the lake, so I don't think it'll be an issue. where I go out of is also a small operation. I love it there, hope it doesn't change!!

Ryan_V

I have a couple questions for you about ice houses, if you have a chance could you shoot me an email please...

diezal00 at gmail dot com

thanks!

I have seen sevral houses for sale from 500.00 to 5500.00. I personaly would check out the west side. I grew up in the area and the service of the resorts for the most part is great. Lots of the resorts have porta pottys on the lakes. There are some smaller resorts that have showers and bars and are much cheeper. I went to a resort last thurs they wanted 30.00 Just to drive out with a wheel house for the day any other resort charges from 8.00 to 10.00. Like some others said take a road trip. Good luck finding the right one.

When your choosing a resort, go in and kind of interveiw them. There are a very small few that don,t like that people own their own fish house, or sometimes worse, a wheel house.

But in general, most are freindly and have excepted that some people would rather own than rent. (A touchy subject on millacs)

As for toilets, sometimes works good to put up a small portable with 5 gal. buckit inside with double bag inside. Also if you can get a piece of 4" styrofoam, trace out a toilet seat cut out and use a palm sander to form into a toilet seat. Amazing when you set down on it is'nt cold!

Advise:

Get several partners and share expense. State rules.

SW corner near Cove has some excellant Ice Fishing businesses. We love B----t's.

Save GAS stay close to home.

House should be comfy not pricey. SHop and find one around $ 2000????

Needs a bunk for each,,,,cots are messy...

cook stove a must a coleman camp stove works fine. Also need auger with extension, batteries, TV ? etc It is fun and way cheaper than owning a summer lakefront cabin!

Watch for any new rules regarding summer lodging [PoorWordUsage]...

This concept works GREAT for our 4 person partner/club.

MANY houses are for sale around Mille Lacs...MUST be a reason!!!!!! Article stated only about 2500 shacks were out this year usually 5000 plus!!! Check For Sale forum, Craigs List and all the Bar - Resorts- Bait stores also....Good Luck

Its an ADVENTURE.

EJW...that's why I'd recommend staying out of Mille Lacs County, at least until all the ............ you know what.......... is setteled with the rules they want to impose. I'm on the west side, pay under 4 hondo a year, can use my house year round and am less than 100 yards from shore. that's not to say that other counties won't follow what Mille Lacs County is doing, but it hasn't even been discussed yet.

Last year they found a way too tax my camper (Park model) that I have parked at a resort as property tax. As they did everybody elses. They are seeing a lot of nice campers at this place and wanted a peice of the action.

Guys, since I posted this original question my plans have changed slightly to a wheelhouse. Building from the ground up. My biz partner in this deal, has access to alot of German plywood (which is awesome stuff), we have access to a great carpenter if we can keep him away from the beermeister, and it would give us the option to move it easier for camping and fall bow hunting.

It sounds like Resort Owners don't like this option, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount to a resort that would help out on the plowing, etc. Anybody had the experience of keeping a big wheelhouse on Mille lacs during the winter or know of resorts that will accomodate something like this? Or is this bad idea for Mille Lacs?

MnHuntress,

We cater to Wheelhouses and have several packages available. You can contact us for package details and pricing.

A Wheel house is the way to go for Hopping around. Me, I cant sit in one spot. I would figure out what aria of the lake you most want to fish. Pick up a map and a phone book and do some homework. I dont think you will have a problem. Appledooms is on a good side of the lake to fish. I would not have a problem going with paul. He is a good guy

I don't think it's that Resorts don't like the wheelhouses. They just seem to get singled out because of a few that don't feel they need to pay like everyone else. Then they have access to the world wide web and say they got the shaft by X resort owner because I accessed at the public access and happened on the road that the resort maintains and they don't own the lake.

Well, if that's the case, and the way wheelhouse people think. Then I have to be under the impression that wheelhouse owners just don't have alot upstairs between the ears.

Originally Posted By: MNHuntress
Guys, since I posted this original question my plans have changed slightly to a wheelhouse. Building from the ground up.

It sounds like Resort Owners don't like this option,

look at alot of houses and decide what you want, what you need, what you like and don't like. layout is everything...

i don't think the resorts have a problem with wheelhouses. i think the resorts have a problem with [PoorWordUsage].... the few times i've had my house up, i've never had a problem. last weekend, the resort even let us stay in their parking lot for the night.