• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I just dont understand?

Guest Kyle

I dont understand why the bow season on turkeys is after the gun season? From the way I see it, it doesnt make sense. There are far less bow hunters, and it is way harder than gun hunting. Can anyone explain the reason for this?

The bow season was put in place to give more people a chance to hunt turkeys, those that were not succesful in the lottery. The last seasons are usually undersubscribed so that's when they allow non-lottery winners to bowhunt. If you win a lottery hunt for an earlier season you can use a bow or shotgun. By the way the bow season runs concurrent with the last 2 weeks of shotgun seasons I believe.

They don't want the bow hunters to interfere with the lottery winners for the gun season.

I guess it makes sense to me.

I can see how not having the two types of shooters interfering is necessary, but it just doesnt make any sense to have the shot gun season first. It isnt that way with whitetails, and that system works great. Why is it all about the lotter gun hunt?

I've heard several arguments for not moving the bow season forward a few weeks before gun season, as it is in Nebraska and several other states. Personally, I'd like to see it moved up too.

• Ensure quality hunt - Because we're a lottery state, creating an "open-season" so to speak, without limiting hunter numbers per time period (bow season) or permit area, goes against our DNR Wildlife Mgrs. philosophy of ensuring a hunt that is less likely to be interfered with by other hunters.

• Promote ethical hunt - I've heard it speculated (not by DNR wildlife mgrs.) that the DNR is trying to promote bowhunting turkeys only for those folks serious enough to put in the time, practice, and work it takes to kill a turkey with a bow. I think there's a fear out there that gun hunters in a season where they don't get drawn for the gun lottery, will pick up a bow and start flinging arrows at turkeys willy-nilly.

• Scheduling - A large part of the breeding season happens many years before the gun season even opens. There are some peer-reviewed papers which suggest that breeding success is affected by season dates which begin too early, i.e., during early phases of breeding. Two years ago, our seasons were moved back 5-days to reflect this. Opening a bow-season before the gun season might interfere with early phases of breeding. My argument is that effects would be minimal.

These are only a few, but in NWTF circles, and amongst the game mgrs. I've spoken to, these are some reasons that have been given. I'd argue that the bow impact would be minimal, and they could still regulate it if they wanted to by having a seperate lottery.

I'd personally like to see a bow season that ran two full weeks before the gun season from early to mid-April in the permit areas which could support it.

Joel

So, a hunter can't use a bow during the first few weeks of the season? Yes, they can. It is not a shotgun only season, but a turkey season with your weapon of choice.

Guaranteed permits for archery hunters do come available for the last few weeks of the season. Gun hunters get no such guarantee.

Most rookie hunters start out gun hunting. Archery hunters are usually the more experienced hunters who are looking for more of challenge. Shouldn't there be more undisturbed birds for the novice hunters?

Sticking with the original title-- I just don't understand a hunter taking up a more challenging weapon, then wanting a separate season to lesson the challenge.

In many states that have a seperate, earlier archery season, there is also an early youth hunt which typically happens even earlier, or concurrently with the bow season to ensure it's not at the expense of younger 1st time hunters.

In response to the challenge part of the game, I think that hunters want good hunting, whether taking up a bow or gun. Hunting during a season when there's simply less birds around, and those that are around are typically more spooky, makes it a challenge on top of a challenge. Doing it earlier during the gun season limits the archery turkey hunter to 5 days, which is often not enough time when using a bow. Again, limiting yourself with archery equipment as well as the shorter time span is like double the challenge.

I would support a limited draw early season archery tag under the same lottery confines that a gun-hunter is under.

Joel

I see nothing wrong with the current system. if you are one of the lucky ones to get drawn then you should be given first chance at them with gun/archery in your selected season. Then let those who still want to harvest a turkey but didn't get drawn in the general lottery have the last two weeks and go after them. I would be upset if they let archery first. I think the reason is completely different than what we have for deer. This year I got drawn for the second season and I am going to use bow, I have hunted the last two years in the archery only and have had a awesome time but this year I would like to have more active birds.

Alot of states let you shoot two or more birds too, should we go that route too. I applied for a tag and I got one. If you want to bow hunt then apply and get drawn.

Good Luck,

Dave

We Don't have the turk population for multiple birds. I love the seasons here. Keep it the way it is. The bird population Is growing at a good pace. Mabey some day it could happen. Also if they did move the bow season to early april you would be competing with a lot more bow hunters. Cause they all would want first crack at thoose birds. So thats why I like they late archery season. If any thing they could up the gun season dates a little. By a week or two would be nice.

really fishermuskie? Should people really shut up and sit down? Is that the answer you give on every debated topic on the forum? I hope you have a more professional/mature way of expressing your feelings next time you post.

I also like a challange, but there is something to be said about what happens when the dates for the archery hunt fall so far back that the birds are totally unresponsive to any kind of calling simply because they are no longer breeding, and when you walk out in the morning you dont even hear a gobble when you well know there are plenty of birds in the area.I agree with Jnelson. most archers including myself are looking for a challege, but with the stats. on how many bow hunters take deer and other species each year, even if a ton of people started shooting bow due to the archery season being moved up before the gun season, and for example no lottery for archery, there is still a great chance there wouldnt be nearly the amount of birds taken as there would be if they had a gun in there hands.

not sure if that makes sense the way I worded it? \:\) sorry

I think with the DNR giving the last two weeks for archery they have given the archers a benefit. Otherwise these persons would have not the chance to get out and chase some birds. I sometime question the thinking of letting more guys out in the field for the last two weeks, The persons that get DRAWN for either the last two seasons are actually the guys that should be upset. Now they see the parking lots flooded when they finally get there chance to head out. I like the current system, if you want to hunt early then apply and use your bow in an early season.

Originally Posted By: mnmuzzleloader
I like the current system, if you want to hunt early then apply and use your bow in an early season.

I agree.

Lets remember this bow season is ment to give everyone who did not get drawn a chance to get out in the field and for that I am very Grateful it is still better than watching outdoor channel. I love hunting that two weeks. I always find birds that want to play. There is still plenty of breeding going on that time of the year. So lets not complain to much guys. I will say I wish the turkey season started earlier so the gun seasons would be over by the time the archers hit the field. I've had more hunts ruined by run and gun hunters than anything else. Plus why should we crowd the season the applied for. Thats my two cents.

Quote:
I dont understand why the bow season on turkeys is after the gun season? From the way I see it, it doesnt make sense. There are far less bow hunters, and it is way harder than gun hunting. Can anyone explain the reason for this?

I think the reasons have already been made evident and I'm a little late to jump on board... but I'll throw out my thoughs anyways...

MN doesn't have the turkey population to sustain separate seasons, multiple birds, etc. I think the goal is to provide a quality opportunity at taking a turkey regardless of choice of weapon. Sending bowhunters out prior to the season educating birds could have an impact on the quality of the hunt. Just a few short years ago this 14-day season didn't even exist. You were either drawn or that was it.(not factoring surplus tags) The opporunity one has in the middle of May most likely isn't going to be as good as the middle of April but at least we have that option. Down the road when the turkey populations have grown even more and are closer to carrying capacity, then maybe some new regs can be brought into effect but gauging several other states with high turkey populations other than NE, I don't see this happening. In the area I hunt, I only get drawn every third year so this regulation allows me to hunt turkeys every year which I can't complain about one bit.

I agree but also disagree with alot of the points on this topic. I think if the archery season was ever moved up it shouldn't be structured the way it is. I would only support an early archery season if it was a very limited drawing. If it was an over the counter season I think a lot of people would hunt it even though they have little knowledge of bowhunting turkeys.

The biggest thing that I don't like about the late archery season is that some people don't get drawn for the gun season and decide to buy the bow tag since they already have a bow for deer hunting. Deer and turkeys are a completely different game when hunting with a bow. I bowhunt for turkeys, but I still prefer to hunt mid to late season and have the most luck then.

It took me a couple years before I smacked one with my bow, but now it just isn't the same hunting with a gun, so I will choose the bow again even when I do get drawn.

After reading what I just wrote though I feel kind of hypocritical because that is how I got into bowhunting turkeys. I applied for an early season my first time and was unsucessfull with a gun, the next year they came out with the late archery tag and I didn't get drawn, so I went that route unsuccesfully, until the next year I forgot to apply and went with the bow again and nailed one. Since then I have been hooked on bowhunting for turkeys.

Sorry if I got a little long winded on this one...

• 1 month later...

Tipup101..I'm not so sure I like the idea of jumping the "regular" season by a week or two..this year would be a good example, since winter seems to be dragging on up here in the northern county's(of the turkey range)..BTW, I see southern MN just got hammered as well. Anyways my point being that up here the birds are still bunched and would not be productive to most. Just my two cents..

The current system works great.It takes me every 3years to get pulled in my area.So it's nice to have the option to turkey hunt if you do not get drawn.I do get to hunt other states but it's sure nice to be able to hunt your home state.Even with the season late you can still get good gobbling in the morning responding birds.If you are not hearing or seeing the birds you might have to make a move and knock on some doors there are always a bird ready to play the game.Just like any male out there.It is a tougher time but at least you get to be in the woods and not on the couch wishing you where.