Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chris63

Got Northern?

23 posts in this topic

Heading up one week from tomorrow,..getting antsy!!!!!!!!!any suggestions on depth/baits for BIG pike?We'll be bringing the norm,frozen ciscos and live suckers.Can't wait!c63

we had good luck in 10 to 14ft using 6 inch suckers.

Where you right on bottom,just under the ice or both?c

both we did better on the bottom.

A operator told us one year that the big pike have learned to sit under the rental houses (even in 30 fow+)and wait for stunted fish to come threw the holes and they chomp 'em up!What do you guys think?c63

i have caught maybe 3 pike out in deep water.nothin big tho.i fish them in the shallows during early ice and late ice when i have my sleeper down there.other than that i dont fish for pike all season.

Thanx for the info.....we'll give a detailed report after the trip next weekend!thanx again!cyac63ARE WE THERE YET?

I had a nice 7-8 pound northern on the line while fishing out in 28 FOW. I was kind of surprised to see him out that deep.

Hey chris, try marinading some of those ciscos in Dr. juice northern scent, and see if ya notice a difference between with or with out. Ive done it an had great success with the marinade. Boar

hhhhmmmmmmmmmm?interesting,dr.juice eh?I was thinking maybe some serenading with guitar music (blues)may just be the ticket to get the big dogs biting.........c63

Well.... ok. Thats a funny vision, thank you.

Even if they don't bite it sure is a good past time anyway!c63

Where are you going out of?

Good morning....going out of Warroad,not sure where his houses are set up at...........sounds like there is a big crack off south tip,have to wait and see.c63

What type of setup do you guys usually use for pike?? Hook size, tip-up, bait??

I'm headed up to LOTW in a couple weeks and wanted to give this a try. Thanks for any info

I make my own tipup leaders.I use smaller hooks(6)and trebles.(Make sure you put a spinner above your trebles to be legal.)If you want to go lighter use fluorocarbon leader to keep from the pike biting you off.This is especially handy if there are Walters in the neighborhood.(Like on LOW)Hope this helps some.When are you going?c63

Oh yea one more thing about "going lighter"on LOW I have had a fish(probably a Northern)break off a 40 Pound steel leader before so if using lighter stuff be very gentle and be ready for the "power surge!"c63

I make my own quick strikes too but go kinda heavy on the trebs. with a #4 blood red eagle claw an just use a bead which is leagle also. I like saving any tullibee to cut up in long strips an of course my fav. is marinaded ciscos with a hint AC/DC mixed in. I use 40lb or better on steel leaders an dacron, I like having my leaders a bit long so when ya get a biggie under the hole an it starts to twist an roll the steel can absorbe the ice better than mono or the dacron an with heavier hardware I like to closer than most to my tip ups, usually under fifty yards away from my base camp in either direction from 2 feet under the ice to 6-8f eet under ice. I did jig up a 38" out of zipple one year with a airplane jig an creek chub combo, that was alot of fun. My biggest is a 42 1/4 incher out of 2' under ice I ususally dont go that shallow till late march an april. I like to spray paint 3' of a 1x2 black for a marker to quickly pick out the tip up from a distance visual reference point. It helps alot when scanning your tip ups. One day I'd like to try slammers, kind of a down rigger for tip ups you use with a shrt rod an reel, when a pike picks up the bait it releases the rod an a piece of wood slams down alerting you to fish, an then you just pick up the rod an fight the fish. I havent piked for a couple of years dont know if I will this year, hard to get away from the eyes'. Boar

I mean 0 or 2's for the trbles I forget which way the number goes. Boar

I was there this weekend fishing with Ballards (cant say enough about the guides!) I caught a 41" Pike! what a blast! 25 fow about 5' off the bottom. I will post a pic soon! I let her go and afterwards wish I would have kept her for the wall in in the cabin but the adrenaline had me going and I slide her right back and never thought about keepin her until she was gone....Is that how it usually goes. Pic soon!

2289007535_2c8485806b_m.jpg

Yea I kick myself for putting back my biggie but she's still swimmin, got pictures, so put a nice blow if that one an put it on the wall. Thats great pic. nice job. Boar

{blow up of that one} boar