• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I was wondering with all this cold if the shore line is starting to freeze or has it been windy enough to keep it open.Did anyone get out this past weekend and float some bugs? Thanks

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• matthothand

• JoshM

• DeathRoe

• Quickstrike

Northlander , are you saying that the shore is open and able to be fished if we get some warm weather? Sorry if I miss under stood.

I just got back from walking the dog and from 21st ave to Duluth was open. Yesterday driving home from Two Harbors, the whold shore was open. I would assume it still is with this wind.....

I was just up yesterday and most of the shore is open but there's lots of sheet ice floating around and a lot of chunks close to shore that would be pretty bothersome. Some spots along the shore had a skim layer of ice extending from the shore itself too. The shore is sort of at that in between stage with enough open water to get a cast out here and there but enough ice floating around to get in your way and not enough to walk on. It's so cold right now I wouldn't bother casting anyway. Line and guides freeze too fast.

Drove by the Mcquade on saturday and i think there was probably around 6-8 houses on the ice.

Anybody know if the Two Harbors landing is useable? I heard, as of a few days ago, it looked to be useable. Maybe after this cold spell it isn't anymore. I had delusions of trolling this weekend! Any info would be appreciated.

Too much ice floating back and forth to shore fish or troll. As of 2pm there is a bunch of ice hitting the shores of park and Wi. points. If we get a NE and some cold it could lock up. Warm this weekend though so my guess is it blows right back out in a few days.

Originally Posted By: UMDSportsman
Drove by the Mcquade on saturday and i think there was probably around 6-8 houses on the ice.

I drove by on Monday and there was 15 or so houses. Just packed!!

Thats what a news paper article on a very small and specific spot will do. Must be a very slow outdoors season. crazy.gif

Funny thing is I would have NEVER thought to fish there. Who would fish in that small of area? Reminded me of open water fishing on Mille Lacs. Everyone stacked up on the flats. But the harbor is tiny!! I suppose come summer when I want to launch the boat it will be like Boy Scout landing \:\( Fighting dock fisherman. No problem with dock fishing But they sure make it tough to get in and out.

Ya they need to move the Boyscout fishing dock up the river farther so the boats can get out easier.

Fishing shouldnt be allowed inside the safe harbor in the summer in my opinion. No problems fishing outside the walls though.

Yeah, it's pointless to fish there. I'd never even consider fishing that spot. ;\) well...I might have stopped in there for a bit on tuesday and there's a small chance I'll be back friday and sunday. I'll post pics and give a report after it melts though like Sam Cook should've done. We need a huge harbor like Milwaukee has or atleast some sort of warm water discharge.

I hate to keep asking but could someone update the condition around the french I would like to cast a little bit this weekend since it looks to be nice out . I know it can change over night but still nice to get a report. thanks much.

From what I saw today the ice blew back out and its broken up all over. Shore casting could be hard to do. Only thing to do is drive the shore and see what ya find out. Sometimes you can find a pocket to toss into for a while.

Or join the sure to be Zoo at Mc Quades.

I went to check out the French today. There was too much floating ice particles to cast, unless you cast nearly parallel to the shore. The large ice mass was pushed out a ways though. It was just a thick stream of slush by the shore.

I drove up the shore, saw guys fishing in the new boat ramp harbor near the french river. Can someone E-mail me if you caught anything?

What is the lake looking like today as far as ice along the shore?Fishable? Thanks for any replies.

Went fishing in the bay today, and there was some ice out there but I don't think its ready to go out on by any means.

It was open friday morning and my buddies that didn't want to fish McQuade landed one coho at Bluebird landing. The ice blew in by noonish and the whole shore looked covered. We're fishing inland today and hopefully the shore will be open on sunday. Anybody getting any hen loopers? Every one that my buddy and I have got this year has been a buck. We've caught enough to make that an interesting statistic. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing the same.

Matt that is interesting. When I come to think about it my friend and I have caught 6 total this year and all of them have been bucks.Can you let me know how the shore looks later today we were thinking of coming down to fish the french or bluebird sunday as well.Hopefully that ice blows way out.

any body out looper fishing today? or is there to much ice? Im thinking of going tomorrow can any body tell me if they think the shore will be open enough to fish? thanks

There was open water on the north side of the french today. Bluebird and Sucker Bay was also open. I was going to stop by and fly cast for an hour, but a lot of ice still floating out in front of the mouth.

took a drive and it looks good. 15 houses in the acsess and the whole shore to myself.

This morning there was chunk ice lining the shore up to the McQuade area. Beynd that it was open. We got one looper and missed 4. Got cold so we called it a day. Pretty ideal conditions otherwise.