Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shooter_mcgavin

Lake Sarah

8 posts in this topic

I've never fished this lake before, and had a few questions:

Where is the aerator? I'll be driving my truck and would like to stay away from it...

Is there a baitshop nearby?

Where can I access the lake?

I'll be after walleye, perch, and/or crappie....whatever is biting.

Thanks!

The aerator is on the SW side of the lake near a park. It is staked off "big-time" and not hard to miss. Bait is a tough one; not much for availability other than Rick's. As far as where to access the lake, there is an access on the E end off of Hwy. 59 and then another on the W end, which is more involved from a direction stand-point.

Shooter, there is a bait store about 3 miles south on 59, Captin Blys, otherwise you go another mile or so and right on the curves there is petes corner, they both have bait. Depending on where your coming from, I think the one in Tracy is still open, its attatched to the red rooster cafe, stick to the county park area on the west side of the lake, thats probably your best bet for crappies, we fished the first bayto the southeast of the county park and had some luck with perch. I would suggest the west access, thats where the aerator is. Good luck!!

the one in Tracy is closed.

pike, is that permanent? or just seasonal?

Tanner, that place has been closed for some time now. No Fuel, no LP, no bait. Rooster is still open but that attached Cenex is closed. The other places mentioned are good to go as well as C-store in Currie if coming from that direction.

Shooter, Here's the scoop.

The airator is by the county park, east of the landing. It is VERY well marked. If you miss it, you shouldn't be driving.

Baitshops- If you are coming from the north, let me recommend Ricks taxidermy and bait shop in Minneota. Rick will not let you down. In the local area there is Captain Bly's off of HWY 59 south of the lake, and Pete's Corner on the corner of HWY 59 and HWY 30, more south of the lake. If you don't hit Rick's I recommed Pete's corner.

There are 3 public access. If you come from HWY 59, look for the signs that say "County Park." The northernmost/east landing can be accessed from the north side of Sarah, look for the sign, off HWY 59. This will bring you to the east side of the lake. The other 2 landings are off of CTY 16, look for the signs. Once you hit 16 you will turn towards the county park, or go to the next gravel road, can't miss them.

Sarah is a good lake for Walleye, crappie, perch, cats, and bullheads. If you want perch and eyes, I'd say go to the east side, north of the point, and drill a ton of holes. Fish a hole for aboot 5 minutes. If no luck, move. Crappies are best on the southwest side, a little north of the dam. south of the airator signs.

Tip from boilerguy.........This lake is very clear which is unusual for SW Minnesota. I've caught a lot of nice fish from this lake but remember how clear the water is. The fish are skittish, even with almost 30 inches of ice. If you mark fish, or see them on a camera, and tap your foot on the ice, they are gone. Stealth mode is the key.

The night bite for eyes is picking up on the west side, north of the county park.

Don't go sayin you didnt' get good info from FM!!! \:\)

Let's see some pictures!!!

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys! grin.gif