Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JIMBO55428

WOMAN LAKE

11 posts in this topic

8 of us coming up this weekend and are going to try our luck on Woman lake, any tips would be great, hows traveling on the lake? are the perch biting? not looking for spots just any tips would be great.

thanks

yes same here...?

Wow, 212 views and no one is talking, you would think you were asking for some ones bank account number! why is every one in the longville area so tight lipped about the local lakes!!

hey jimbo i have a cabin on the lake and have not been up since new years. and am going back up in the middle of march. typiccally this time of year we have done very well off horseshoe island in 18 to 23 feet for perch and a few eyes. let me know how u do.

The main reason is because people don't like other people going to their honey holes, and then telling tons of people, and before you know it the lake is over fished. Same thing as with most places in the state.

I understand that, most people are not asking for the honey hole just general info, thats what this site is for, general fishing reports and questions, these same people that keep quiet about their local lakes are asking and viewing about other lakes and using this info for their use. oh well we are still going and will give our report on this site so others will know how we did, and no we would not report the honey holes just general info!

Woman is a very hard lake to fish in the winter, and info is hard to come by IMO because ther are very few people out there fishing it. There were some days this winter where it seemed I had the entire lake to myself.

Having said that, I have never been able to consistently catch anything on Woman Lake, every time I go out I have to do something different to catch fish, wheter it is location, depth, presentation, etc.

Last time I was out there a few weeks ago I did have some success in 35 FOW with a mix of gravel/rocks on the bottom, caught a few walleyes and some nice jumbo perch...

Thanks for the reply, yeah I see what you mean, there was nobody out there and not much for tracks either so we did not go out on Woman, tried Boxell lake and caught alot of northerns, then went to Widow looking for crappies but no luck, 1 small walter and missed a large walter. what an great weekend for fishing weather wise.

I would agree with JWB475, the lake gets very little pressure in the Winter and can be tough for travel without snowmobiles. That being said I always get up there at least once each hardwater season. I happened to be there this pst weekend and the weather was just perfect! I really did not even need to fish in the portable until the sun was going down. I will tell you that Walleyes are hit and miss for me in the Winter, but I almost always get some nice Perch when I am willing to be mobile. I have found that once you are over some, they are very willing biters and usually the best fish are the first to attack your offering.

My findings this past weekend are as follows, without giving up specific spots. I hit several of the mid lake humps like usual this time of year. I figured the fish would be deeper and at the base of the humps, but I only found smaller fish in that depth. After moving further and further up I got into very nice Perch in 15-16 feet of water on top of the humps that had a few weeds left on the bottom. The 11 inchers would nail the bait just as soon as I lifted the spoon off of the bottom. I did end up with a nice Northern and (5) Walleyes to add, but the eyes were all 12 and 13 inchers. If I had given the deper water in the evening more time I may have gotten some better Waldos. I was having too much fun with the Perch. I put the Walleyes back and just kept about (12) 10-11 inch Perch for the frying pan and I am going to try pickling the Northern.

Be warned that the snow drifts out there are numerous and get quite deep. I was able to drive in my Jeep Cherokee, but you had to be willing to test the machine's performace ability.

Good Luck and I am excited for open water now....

So any updates on Woman action...i would like to hear.