• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Fox 9 Muskie story

Corey Bechtold

I cant view the video on my work computer, I am sure there are quite a few of you who cant view it, so can somewho who views it sum it up in a post. Thanks!

A guy catches a huge muskie on Tonka. The DNR had closed the Muskie season early and the closing was not well known. They gave the guy a warning but did end up taking this monster fish. after a while later they returned the fish to the man citing "we haven't had a problem with this man in the past, so wesaw no reason not to let him have his fish." It was pretty interesting.

Im sure glad they gave that fish back to him. yeah he caught it outta season but he didnt know, i didnt know the season was over, and im sure a lot of other people didnt know either. They gave him a written warning and gave it back. I also saw FM on there. Dont forget next muskie season closes dec 1 2008.

I have a feeling if they decided to cite the guy and keep his fish, it woulda turned into a firestorm. I think they gave it back to avoid bad publicity, but i agree, hats off to them

Im glad they gave it back and just gave a warning, too. It wasn't like the guy was out trying to kill stuff flagrantly and it was a fish of the lifetime for most people.

It was kind of boo-boo to close the season early like that and it goes to show there are some good apples at the dnr too. I doubt they will close a season like that again. Mistakes happen and as long as they learn from it there is no bad feelings.

what about a replica I absolutly hate these storys. The guy took a fish out of the system that took 20 years 2 get that big or longer! He has the pics for his proof just dont understand why he actually needs the fish!!! I go out of my way 2 revive these monsters so the next guy can enjoy the fish as the guy before me did!!!! season on or off get pics release these fish and get replicas they last longer look better and the fish might be a 12 yearolds story next year!!!!! rather then a ego booster for a guy walking up 2 the landing!!!!!

The fisherman in question did try to revive the fish. Just didn't work out. This was not an ego trip at all. Since the musky was dead he decided to keep it and have a live mount made. No need to blast away at anyone in this case.

I guess I am kinda wondering how he tried 2 revive the fish in a 10" hole. Just release the fish and hope it makes it. This seems to be a theme that guys catch big fish and they never make it!!! And if it is not a ego booster how the heck did it get as far as channel 9 news. My hopes are that if these guys do get blasted enough they may actually think about takeing some pics and releasing the fish. they will not make it for sure in the back of his pick up!!!

Dude, chill....

This has already been hashed to death. Click through some of the pages on this forum and the musky forum.

I've actually been amazed at the amount of opinion that its total sacrelidge (sp?) to EVER have a musky die.

It happens.

Wow, chill out...

Not everyone shares the same opinion and blasting people who have already had a hard time is no bueno. I know u want to protect the resources but the fish is gonna die sometime anyway and if it is that big, how much time does it have left?Especially after being through being caught on the ice. Would u have just cut the line and watch it swim away without landing it? I doubt it. That would have been the only way to release it without harm. Basically you shouldn't even be fishing if you don't want a fish to die because sooner or later u will kill a fish even if you let them all go...Join peta or something if you are like that.

Don't get me wrong, I let 99% of all my fish go and beleive in selective harvest, but the guy made the best out of a bad situation. I am the first one to say let a big one go. But if you try to release it and it is done for, get it mounted. At least it has the dignity of being someone's trophy of a lifetime and not rotting on the lakeshore.

join peta deadeye dont get dramatic I am not talking about accidental fish death. I am talking about all the guys that are fishing other fish get a monster muskie on accident cant believe how big of a fish they caught and have 2 keep it because it did not make it!! I have had one fish "muskie" die out of hundreds and I was so bummed out about I sure as heck was not gonna post my pic with the fish! I Will be the first one 2 tell a guy nice fish and the first 2 bash them if they kept the fish!!! JUST MY OPINION

2 words, "Muskie Chowder". \:D

If this story gets some people fired up than they probably will get really hot about the Bass Tournament angler who caught a 53.5" Muskie and cut it's gills because he thought they compete with his precious Bass. The same guy also did the same thing with a 48"er. crazy.gif

Apparently the fish will be shown at sports shows at the DNR booth to help educate fishermen. I think I heard that the boat regestration was called in and they nabbed the individual.

Good luck,

Corey Bechtold

GOOD FIND!

It is exactly the outcome I had argued for on another thread about the big Musky from 'Tonka (much to the dismay of at least a few anglers and one DNR officer). It was a tough question, one I am glad was decided equitably considering the circumstances...Nice Fish Man!

Corey,

Musky chowder? Can I ever get some?

I erased posts I wrote about this fish because I couldn't make one sound like I wasn't ranting, but you hit my point on the head.

Geez, I would like to taste one sometime, as I've heard they are excellent. When I finally started landing some, the minimum sizes started going up and staying ahead of my catches. No big deal, just have to get luckier. grin.gif

Well now the minimums are so high, all over, that it doesn't make sense to kill one that big to eat. Just one--thats it--thats all I ever wanted! cry.gif

Originally Posted By: muskiedreams
I guess I am kinda wondering how he tried 2 revive the fish in a 10" hole. Just release the fish and hope it makes it. This seems to be a theme that guys catch big fish and they never make it!!! And if it is not a ego booster how the heck did it get as far as channel 9 news. My hopes are that if these guys do get blasted enough they may actually think about takeing some pics and releasing the fish. they will not make it for sure in the back of his pick up!!!

If you'd go back through the various threads about this fish, you would see that he did attempt to release the fish, even going so far as to drill connecting holes making a "pool" to try to revive the fish. It simply became evident that the fish would not survive. Some fish die, that's the way it goes.

muskyrelease.jpg

It's interesting to see Lyle (From Wayzata Bait) on that video, since he's my neighbor.

Either way, it's good that he got it back. And that picture of the connecting holes makes the guy seem like he really did have all the best intentions, unfortunately it was a little too late for the fish.

I'm sure the fish fought for a long time, tired her out big time.. then the guy sh*t himself because he's never caught a fish that big let alone seen one. So they took their dandy as$ time getting the camera and all.. And he was dumb enough to hold that beast vertical, that's like the worst thing you could do for a fish that big, hurts her real bad. He probably dropped it a few times and it flapped around the ice for a while too! Yes, fish die sometimes, but I bet this guy didn't have a clue what he was doing, and didn't execute proper catch & release of the muskie. Most people don't know how for that matter. I'm pretty sure she could still be lurking around tonka as we speak.

Did they give it back to him?? If not, I think he should be able to keep it, the DNR is going to mount it anyway, same thing he was gonna do..

this photo kinda makes me laugh first off his jacket is diffrent in both videos second there is no date in the pic you showed why would there be a date in one pic but not the next 3rd look at the fins. Give a guy a little time he could have Jay leno in that hole with a night crawler hanging out of his mouth!!! The point I am trying 2 make is that every year there is a bunch of monsters are killed on accident! There is not alot of fish like this swiming around drives me nuts when I see one dead!!

It's the same fish. There were 3 people present when the fish was caught, and the arm in the release picture is not the angler who caught the fish. I've met the 3 anglers. This picture is 100% legit.

Muskie, I'll ask the question that's been bugging me for a little while. What's so special about muskies that we need to have special dates and regulations on them? They're such a close relative to northerns that they can interbreed, yet they are treated like some sort of holy grail whereas northerns are not. I guess I just don't see why muskies are so revered. I'm not saying this to be a wise guy either. I really don't see why they are any more special than northerns. Can you help me understand?

The first thing that make muskies so special is that if you look at DNR netting charts you will see that in any lake all other speices of fish out number the muskie at least 20 to 1 simply there is not even close amount of muskies compared 2 the pike. Now take into consideration how many fish die on accident!!! As far as muskies being a holy grail your buddys that kept the 52" for the wall can probly explain that one for you better than I can. And I have never once said anything about a muskie being better than a pike. I handle pike the same way I handle muskies.

For those who asked muskies are very excellent table fare. I'm old enough to remember the 22 pistol shot in the head and then the sawed off baseball bat to dispatch any legal musky my grandfather caught. They all made it to the table in very short order. Very different fishing world back then.

muskies are better than pike. I eat pike, wouldn't eat muskie. Muskies behavior are different, why do you think they get to be 53" plus??? it eats alot? no, that thing is a bad a** creature that knows survival of the fittest, and has adapted to it. Pike rarely eat at night because they can't see the bait. The biggest muskie i've ever seen in real life was caught an hour after sunset.. blah blah blah, I can go on and on with reasons, but they're just a creature that is fascinating.. and getting one to bite your lure and hangin on for the ride is nice, but releasing her and watching it lurk back to the bottom is the best part

i would like to comment on the date muskie closes next season dec. 1 this is a dumb change in the law first of all i've seen in person 1 muskie above the ice and i ice fish alot. and a person might hear of 5 stories of a muskie being caught though the ice well.there just isn't that many caught to put time an effort into changeing this law and i know my friend released his 42" 30 lb. pig . most people do release big mushies dec.1st. they might as well close nov.1st. in the metro area how many times can you walk out on the ice before dec.1st. about once every 10 years maybe? i do understand most people catch muskie when there doing tip ups for pike so it isn't like there targeting muskie it just happens so that won't change but why the change do you agree or disagree

Good challenges!

Here's some of the reasoning behind the change.

First off: The change went in last minute this year, but that is not a result of the DNR itself. This item along with others was bundled together and waiting on the Governor's approval. The goal was a Dec 1 close, but the delay in signing led to the 15th this year and Dec 1st there after. I agree the late notification was a stumbling block, but the good part is that another year was not lost in the waiting process. One step backward, two steps forward, if you will.

Tigers: Tiger muskie are quite active and are a pretty easy target come first ice. There were issues with the harvest and overharvest of these fish on tiger waters. Tigers are a piece of the overall Minn muskie management, so protection of the resource was a factor.

Other Lakes: For example, French down by Owatonna/Faribault (spelling, sorry) gets a lot of winter angling and there are quite a few muskies caught. The law ensures they are released. There are other lakes that fit this profile.

"Bad guys"..... for lack of a better term: All of us by being here on FM are the responsible anglers and not out to break the law. We're interested in fishing and learning and having fun, or we wouldn't be here. We're what I call the "Good guys". There are "bad guys" that believe the muskie is ruining their fishing and will intentionally kill the fish for no purpose other than to remove it from their fishing waters.

I totally agree most are caught on a tip up by accident, fun times and a pic and returned like you said, but you're in that "good guy" category, if that makes sense? You still get the thrill and a pic, but for those that don't do that the DNR has a leg to stand on and enforce against the "bad guys", and what they may do.

Dec 1st: Lot's of us crazy muskie guys are on open water in November, fighting frozen and iced over gear and numb fingers. Not sure why sometimes, goes back to that crazy thing I guess. It's a great opportunity at a big fish, and kinda fun just to say you're still on open water November week 3!

One point not really mentioned about the 'tonka fish, how about the size!!! Wow!! I'm stoked to see a fish that big come out of there!! Get's me pumped for next summer and fall, and maybe November too!!!

Hope this helps to answer some of your questions about the law change.

Chris

Tonka has quite a few that size and bigger. See them every year usually just following my lure with no intention of chomping it. Have one in particular that hangs around my dock in June just to irritate me. Actually measured it at 56". It was just hanging out right under the surface and didn't even move when I plopped the floating yardstick next to it. I did use my net to retrieve the yardstick as I bet it was just waiting to chomp one of my fingers if I was crazy enough to put my hand in the water. Had that evil eye going.