• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

State tournament playoffs

IFallsRon

Ness has committed to Minnesota. Yes, he plans to graduate early.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IFallsRon

• PierBridge

• CrappieFshr651

• vermilionwally

Yes that is correct, Ness is going to the Gophers next fall and taking jr/sr class courses to graduate this spring. Ness will do fine in Maroon and Gold and in the WCHA. Gophers have some D-Men the size as Ness, but only a little bigger and Ness will build up throughout the summer and fall before season starts.

I sat by Cary Eades last night during the Roseau game, UND is looking at #7 Tyler Landman (Jr.). I can see Landman being the next Ryan Duncan but only stronger and more physical, IMO.

Go Rams and Sioux!

Originally Posted By: BigWadeS
(dang he would look good in the Green & White of the Sioux),

You guys are getting Gleason so to make it fair we get Ness.... grin.gif

that's okay I am a Sioux fan, but when they aren't playing the Gophers I cheer for them, so it'll be okay, maybe he will be a MN Wild in 3 years....

Did anyone else notice Lou Nanne let his "Homer" tendencies slip out right at the end of regulation play tonight in the Edina vs. Benilde game? Tied at 4-4 with about 5 seconds left he said "I had a feeling it was going to be a overtime game but I didn't want to say anything because it might jinx us."

Lou has turned into Sid. Everyone's last name turns into the same i.e. Hanowski, Waytayshik becomes Waynowski. He needs to borrow grandpa hockey's ben franklin glasses to see the program.

Edina v. Benilde; do you root for the cake or the recruiters?

i wasn't sure if he meant us as in the broadcasters & viewing audience or us as in edina.

i think these late night games get the best of sweet lou nowadays, he's done alot for mn hockey but its gotta be time to pass the torch on one of these years.

ron - i'll answer that last question at about 11pm.

Heard an interview with the Lou and he has ties to Benilde also. Grandkids I believe... but you know he's a cake eater at heart.

Wow can we say upset! H-M 6-2 over Roseau! Looks like its gunna be Edina versus H-M. Edina can play physical with H-M though!

Originally Posted By: muskyjim
i wasn't sure if he meant us as in the broadcasters & viewing audience.

That's exactly what he meant.........geesh guys to compare Lou Nanne to Sid Hartman is ridiculous did you listen to game? the whole time he was praising good hockey and never even remotely was bias towards Edina or BSM where his grandkids attend.

Quote:
"I had a feeling it was going to be a overtime game but I didn't want to say anything because it might jinx us."

Quote:
Heard an interview with the Lou and he has ties to Benilde also. Grandkids I believe... but you know he's a cake eater at heart.

crazy.gif

I don't know that it was such an upset given the fact that Roseau played only two ranked teams from the cities ( Bloomington Jefferson # 14 and Blaine # 17) and both were 1 goal games. So whereas they have a nice team, I think their record was a bit inflated.

And I should probably mention my son graduated from Hill so I may be a bit biased. ;\)

I realize I will probably get killed for this but I truely believe its happening more each year.

Seems to me that the private schools are really starting to dominate the hockey tourny. I still believe that they should have their own tourny. All they need to do is recruit and come up with a great team versus the other schools who work these kids for years.

If the open enrollment was for acedemics only, the private schools would have a very diffucult time having the success they now enjoy. My thoughts are that many only open enrol for the sports.

OK, hammer me now.

About this whole recruiting thing, I have a couple of questions.

One: I have been under the assumption that the athletic directors that are trying to get open enrollment limited are athletic directors from smaller communities. I'll use Grand Rapids as a hypothetical example. I thought the smaller schools in that neck of the woods were loosing to many players and started making noise about making athletes sit out a year if they transfered to another school.

Second: Does anyone know how many Roseau players grew up playing in the Roseau youth organizations VS. how many have transfered into the program just to play for the school?

Again, I don't know the answers to the above, just curious.

Thanks

I personally dont have those numbers but, lets take a school that draws from may others outside its community, I would believe that those numbers are higher. I dont know if anyone has access to those numbers other than the schools or the MSHSL.

I agree that it would be interesting to see the actual numbers and who is transferring in the most students and what sport if any they participate in.

I just wonder where the schools like STA and Hill Murray and so on draw their students from as I dont know those exact numbers.

It would be nice to see a tourny where these students were brought up through the school system and played for the high school in their town and not the open enrollment that now happens.

Harvey you are so right... I was hoping for an all public school championship. Even if the cake eaters are in it. But as far as your numbers I think it will be very hard to find much. Alot of it happens earlier than you'd think, kids and parents are planning this in elementary. Parents looking for jobs in certain places, and then eventually buying homes in the school district.

kidd - do you think kids are more likely to move from moorhead,theif river or warroad to roseau during "down" years in a program. or drive down the street from bloomington or maple grove to holy angels or where ever? or down the street from one duluth school to another?

harvey - i would like to agree with you on the multi-tourney thing but it would take years to get the highschool league to work that out.

on the tourney broadcast mike antonivich emotionally talked about it being the greatest thing, going down to the state tourney and playing with his buddies that he grew up with. the sad thing is with open enrollment and recruiting the schools that don't recruit or draw open enrollers are finding it harder to compete with the schools that do. it has become a business. if you ask me overall it lessens the experience and takes a little bit away from the game of hockey. but i guess kids are getting noticed so ...............

They could still just have one tourny and end open enrollment for sports. Education only but I guess thats not what some in todays world would want.

I have no issue with private schools but when they draw from so many pulbic ones to build their sports program, I just dont agree with that. I realize this also happens with different public schools but I would venture to guess that with the private schools its a much higher percentage statewide.

Maybe it all started with the cake eaters in the late 60's and early 70's in the Ikola era.

YES, ELIMINATE OPEN ENROLLMENT for sports.........now you're talking, but it would be a matter of time before people found their "loop holes" through education.

Well i have a problem with schools drawing kids away from others, public or not, to build their sports programs. there's alot of smaller school programs that are directly suffering from this. the bigger schools can absorb losing a couple of kids, the smaller schools can not. and in turn it also affects the educational programs of the small schools also. All for some kids to get "noticed". SAD

I don't know where it started, but i wish they would do away with it. Just my thoughts.

I have a couple counter examples:

Benilde and Edina: Many of those kids came out of the same program growing up. There's not a shift between the two, just good development in the youth programs and players spread across both schools.

Centennial: Used to be horrible years back, but now have solid teams across all age groups. Public program.

Hill Murray & White Bear: Schools are 5 miles apart, but always seem to meet in the Section final, trading spots in the tourney.

Public Schools Feeder Programs: Like Centennial, public schools can have programs at all levels, so they can develop kids who have played together for years.

Facilities: Many of the newer public high schools being built have incredible facilities, their own rinks etc.

Tonight's game: Should be a good one. I'll take HM, a solid goalie will make the difference.

Chris

Perfect example from todays results. STA wins again. How long will the MSHSL allow a school like this to dominate the tournies??? Maybe they need to move up a class even though they fit withing the enrollment rules for size. Maybe they figure why move up when we can beat the smaller schools.

Now, lets take a school like Roseau who chooses to play in the AA class. When they win, they have really won something of value. They beat the big boys or larger cities schools.

The key for some of these schools is, yes many but of course not all. I dont even care to get into the Edina deal.

This really bothers me but, GO Hill Murray.

Totally agree in STA, they should be playing up. Their enrollment number is boys, so 1/2 of what a comparable school would be. That said, the Toppers did not play well at all.....

Roseau has had some kids in the past from neighboring towns that went to Roseau to play, so it's not an issue exclusive to the metro area.

Harvey Lee is fired up about Edina!!! Do tell Tom! grin.gif

Chris

It goes back many years.

A safe bet would be that those private city schools have done much more on the open enrollment than Roseau.

I'm probably opening myself up to a bunch of criticism, but I'm a Hill Murray alum. The loss to Edina 20 years ago still hurts.

I hope Hill thumps the "cake eaters" big time tonight!

Chris

my prediction is that edina beats hillmuray 3-1 tonight in the championship game

Im pulling for the cake eaters as well. Id hate to see a private school sweep again. St. Thomas and Hill Murray both seem to have recruited up a good squad this year, it would be nice to see these kids playing back in there rightfull school. I dont think Roseau does nearly as much recruiting as the cities schools they just have a great hockey tradition and good youth programs.

just say no ...................to open enrollment.

vermilionwally - going back to kids playing for their riteful schools, that's what i'm trying to say in a round about way. Creating elite highschool teams. who wants to watch that every year?