Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Realtor Boy

??????? which of the 3 lakes to choose from ???????

8 posts in this topic

My family and I have decided that we want to spend a week this summer on one of the three lakes. Any advice to which lake to spend a week on would be highly appreciated. Bring the kids, so we are looking for a resort with a pool or nice swimming beach. After that we dont really care about the rest other then being on the better fishing lake.

Thank you in advance,

Crane, kabetogama, Namakan

Check out the Kab lake assn. web site. There are No resorts that I know of on Nam so you will either be on Kab or Crane. I believe that the fishing on Kab has been getting better and better each year due to the slot limit. There are at least two Resorts that I know of on Kab with a pool. Most of the places from Clam Bay east have some sand on the beach but there is so much to do besides just playing in the water. Kab is a Walleye lake that is also becoming renound for smallmouth bass. There is also Lots of nice northern to be found if you have the know how to fish them. You will need to make your reservations asap. I know many Resorts don't have any openings until sept. Do you have your own boat? Are you looking for camping or a cabin to rent? Many resorts have R.V. sites as well as cabins. Look at the dock system the resort has. A North wind wreaks havok to boats that are not behind a breakwall. There are fishing guides to show you some spots as well as tours and water taxi service. If you ask at the Gateway Store they can give you some names. Also Guts and Dockboy seem to know pretty much everything about the area. Perhaps Dockboy can give you some info on Crane Lake too. Good Luck!

ODL

Thx for the info overdalimit.....

Are there any of the resorts you can recommend on Kab.??

Anywhere on Kab. We go up often and The scenery and fishing are great. Some good swimming spots but it can be cold

Again More info is needed. Pine air is nice as is Harmony beach. If you want low prices try Red Pine but it is not as fancy. Birchwood always has openings but not much of a beach and you have to go elsewhere to launch. Kec's cove offers a bar and dining room. Pokorneys are nice folks and lets not overlook Voyager park lodge. I fish out of a place called Pine Tree Cove (small, clean, personal service, nicest folks you ever want to meet) but getting a cabin there is tough as most are booked from year to year by same folks. Arrowhead, Sandy Point and gosh I don't think you could find a resort that would not have something good to offer. There are also the villas at Kettle Falls. This is one of the more popular destinations and now you have access to Rainey lake as well as Nam, Kab and Crane!

As others have said, Namakan has no resorts, so ...That leaves Crane and Kabetogama.

Kabetogama has lots of resorts to choose from. While you are looking, take a look at Moosehorn resort. They have a VERY nice swimming beach along with arguably the nicest docks on the lake. (except for the Park Service docks) This is very important to some and does not matter to others. It all depends if you have your own boat and try to take good care of it.

Fishing on Kabetogama is good to excellent depending on your skill level, the weather, and the time of year.

We have been going to Moosehorn for 14 or 15 years now. There is a reason we continue to go back.

They have very nice cabins and are well kept. They are well spaced and not”stacked together” like many resorts. The pictures on their web site are very representative of what you will find upon your arrival. There shouldn’t be any surprises and that is always a plus.

I looked at Northern Lights a year or so ago, and it would not be my first choice at this time. Don’t get me wrong …it is ok, just not at the top of my list.

If you have any specific questions …just ask.

Realtor boy, As ODL has stated, there are lot of nice resorts on Kab, I can only chime in on Kab and I agree the fishing has gotten better each of the last 5 years I've been going, 4 of them to Snyder's Idlewild resort which has excellent hosts and a pool. I always take my youngest son, and have taken the older ones a couple of times, and they really enjoy the fishing and a break in the pool in the heat of the day.

thanks for the info guys.........does anyone know anything about the resort on Kab called Northern Lights? we were looking at getting a 4 bedrm and they seem to have the nicest ones. (by pictures anyways)