Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rascalP

Slush conditions?

2 posts in this topic

ST, Stfcat, or anybody else

Me and a buddy are planning on coming up in a few weeks to fish a few lakes off the Echo Trail. How is the traveling in general. Can a snowmobile get around pretty much everywhere? Is there much water on the ice? I know it may sound dumb, but a number of years ago, we were up and slush nearly made fishing some of the lakes we were hitting tough if not impossible. Snowshoes only! Actually thought about having hipboots.

Also thought about fishing lakers on Burntside. This would be new to us though we've fished planted trout a number of times. I've followed the laker posts and have wanted to get up for the annual outing(bad timing). Are there any accesses on the north arm? Any particular type of structure to key on this time of year? Thanks for any help!!

rascal

rascal, I've seen no slush on Burntside for several weeks, and I don't think it's an issue on any of the area lakes.

Snowmobiles will get you anywhere you want to go with no problems.

As for the North Arm, there is a public access off North Arm Road, which turns off the Echo Trail several miles out from Ely. You can't drive down the access in a vehicle unless you shovel out the berm of snow pushed up by snowplows, but the road widens there and folks tend to pull over and park on the lake side of the road and offload their sleds/wheelers.

I haven't found lakers keying on any different types of structure in March than they do in January.

Good luck up here! grin.gifgrin.gif