• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

if you were in my shoes.....

Bassboy1645

Question

they say a college education is important and all but the simple fact is its getting harder by the day financially...I only have 38 dollars left to pay for phone bill, utilites, gas and food until summer comes and I go to work....I work at school the max hours im allowed but its 70 dollars every 2 weeks....everything is saying to me that I should just drop out and go to work at a mediocre full time job doing something I went to college so I wouldnt have to do.......

But I have probably several thousand dollars of hunting and fishing gear and As much as I dont have the heart to get rid of it....what would you do if you were in my shoes??....

I cant find a job cuz there are none in ely and I just dont know what to do right now!!! I worked and saved soo hard in highschool to buy my truck and boat and the few guns and all of my fishing gear that I have...I just dont know of I can even think about selling that stuff! its my whole life!!!

Let me clear my throat so I can use my dad voice. Ahem.

Put your priorities in order. What is more important to you, fishing gear, guns, boat, and a truck? Or a college education. Only you can decide that one.

Student loans? It sucks, but like you said, a college education is expensive. The vast majority of folks I know and work with have lots of school loans still. You'll pay them off eventually. As long as you're in school now, I would make every effort to finish it up. Once you start making money in the real world, it's really tough to convince yourself to give up the paycheck and go back to finish. Things will look up!

Supposedly, a higher paying, better job awaits you after college graduation. Shouldn't take long to amass back all the things you had to sell to get that education. Especially if your still single. Trust me, a few years of borrowing from the father-in-law and my old man was worth staying in school and graduating with a college degree and not having all my own gear. Slowly but surely getting it all. But I'm married with kids.

This really is easier said than done....but this will be a sacrifice that sucks now and will pay off later. If you bail on school now to have a few $$$ in your pocket you will miss out on the bigger $$$ later. Do what you gotta do to finish your education, you won't regret it. Besides when you get out school and in a better paying(than you would get without the education) you get make some upgrades to the boat, truck and guns.

I would say as an old (experienced in life) man. Sell what you have to to stay in school and invest yourself in your education. Keep the guns as long as you can. All the other stuff gets better with time. I was in your shoes many years ago. 8 years of college and two divorces later I had to liquidate 3 times. My education allows me to recover. My first x sold a 50 cal hawken I built from a kit for 25$. One of these days I am going to build another. Good luck(hard work trumphs luck every day of the week).

Todays job market is getting harder and harder all the time, and all the goods you need in life (house, vehicle etc.) keep getting more and more expensive. The days of having a high school education and a decent paying job are all but gone. You can never replace an education, but you can replace all the stuff you have to sell to get an education.

I went back to school at the age of 30, single parent and all that. I sold everything I had to get it done and am glad that I did, and wish I would have done it earlier. Life is tough, don't make it any harder on yourself than it needs to be.

Do whatever you can to stay in school. I took out as large of school loans I could and used the extra to pay bills and yes still spend money on fishing/hunting/beer/woman. When I graduated I had to pay back $23,000. My wife was not happy to marry into that, but 5 years later the debt is gone. Depending on what you choose to do for a living you may not need a 4 year degree. I didnt and got one because it was a goal I had.

From someone who has been in the same situation, GET IT DONE! I remember being as frustrated as you and nealy giving up. Stick with it and try to have some fun at the same time.

Oh, try to not spend so much money on fishing/hunting/beer/women. I wish I had not everyday! Plenty of time for that when a guy has the money and time.

Good Luck! LovenLifeGuy

I do not know if I should comment on this, because I never went to collage.

Right out of the box (high school) I started at dealerships as a grunt worker/porter, well before that I was a tire tech at Tires Plus for 2 years. The key was I made no money at the time, but worked my arse off to work my way up the pole and had great respect for what I had. I still fished (from shore with cheap poles) and hunter (with guns from my youth). I never even had a credit line until I was 24, because I only bought what I could from what was in my pocket. The key to this is hard work pays for its self in the long run. Vie it be in the work force or in college, hard work and dedication is the key factor. The other side of the coin is it may suck now, but in 10 years your whole life will change for the better if you want it to.

I personally think back and wish I would have went to college, but on the other hand I knew I could make things happen with out it (plus I would have party to hard and screwed things up). Also my parents had very little money and it went to my little sister for her college. If I had gone to college, my parents would have not had the funds to send her.

The moral of this little story is what ever you decide, make a right decision, stick with it and work your azz off to become the best at what you decide.

Again, with a winning dedication mind set, in 10 years you will look back on these days and feel good on what you decided on. I will say I miss my days of my late teen’s and early 20’s (as low ball as they where), but now I am 30 and have a great family, a nice house and land, a decent boat, an armory of guns, hot rod and all of the American dream has to offer. Look to the future and think about what you want and put the cross hairs on it and pull the trigger. Its kind of like hunting and fishing. Shoot for the big game.

Good luck.

P.S.

For gods sake, do not major in Liberal Arts or some lame major that puts you debt and takes you no where fast. I would guess a good major would be in science or electronics, but do not take the easy way out in college, but yet do go for something you like and enjoy.

mnfishingguy has a great point.

You can always go back. For some it would be harder to go back, but for some it would be easier to go back.

I have buddies that went off to college and failed miserably and cost their selves and parents a lot of money, just so they could screw off.

Now they are more an adult to go back, but I had some real peach’s for buddies in high school.

I have thought about going back to school and I know my current employer would help with the bill, if not pay the whole thing. I would have to go at night though.

I know I would do way better now in school, then when I was 19.

You have your hole life to accumulate things. But the window for gaining an education closes for most people once you begin to accumulate those things. Car payments, rent/mortgage payments, marriage, kids, working 10 hours per day, etc. and the time available to go back to school is just too hard to find. Looking back it may have seen smarter to save your money for your education rather than buy hunting & fishing gear, but like someone else said, once you're earning good money you can buy it all again.

I am only 28 and don't want to sound like a geezer or anything. But go to college or tech school. The job market these days are crazy now. I fell into my job when I was going to college, and then all the sudden it became a full time job. My college courses changed to taylor to my current job, but soon working full time and going to college full time couldn't cut it anymore. I was too stressed out. Currently I work full time but I always wondering if things could have been different if I just stuck to full time college with no stress and finish. On last note I am only about a year and a half from my bachelors, but college tuition is skyrocketing, and I still have to pay my collage loans, mortgage, car payments, blah, etc. It gets hards trying to go back, so you should just start it and finish it. So you wont be like us geezers saying "could have", "should have", or "need to go back". Good luck and fortunes on the path that you choose.

Originally Posted By: shackbash

For gods sake, do not major in Liberal Arts or some lame major that puts you debt and takes you no where fast. I would guess a good major would be in science or electronics, but do not take the easy way out in college, but yet do go for something you like and enjoy.

Shack, I'm literally laughing out loud at that \:\) Hilarious!!!

Im 23 and sad screw college and I have a decent job, but now between rent, car, cc and other debts Im sick of living paycheck to paycheck because of the glass ceiling that is pushing back at me since i dont have any college education. There are people I work for that went straight to college and now are 24-25 that are making $50,000-$60,000/yr. I want to go to school SOO bad but I let "stuff" dictate what did and now hve nice stuff that I can barely afford... You can catch fish off a dock with a $10 pole just fine and in 5 years, get that new boat, with a nice truck to pull it and a large garage to store it. Rome wasn't built in a day and you have a long ways to go and plenty of time left to enjoy the fruits of your labor

Yeah theres alot to think about....Not trying to sound big headed but im a pretty good fisherman and deer hunter and I eat and keep all the walleyes, pike, trout, panfish I can and I pull the trigger on every deer I see. If it werent for fish and wildgame with the case of ramen on the side I would be starving. I stay within the laws of course....

I just get sick to my stomach thinking about selling my boat and fishing gear and what. I dont think Ill sell my 3 guns ever! mom and dad never had money either and i promised myself I didnt want to end up like them! Im already further in debt with loans then I thought I would have to be. I really dont waste any money I get though.I got roughly 2 grand for government finacial aid and when it was al said and done Rent for 4 months was paid and I bought books and fixed my truck.....

Oh Im going for an applied science in natural resources so being a science degree i think i got a decent field down for working after school.....

Ralph,

I kind of chuckled when I wrote that my self, but its true.

I was part of the hiring process at one of my last jobs and I tell ya, real world experience over pass's a Liberal Arts degree only, in any case. I would say 1/3 of the app’s had a Liberal Arts degree’s only, with no work history and those app’s look like they just got off of a Bob Marley tour bus. Not to say there is anything is wrong with that, but employers see it as such.

Now I am sure people have gotten far with a Liberal Arts degree or less, but it will not get you far now a days and put you into debt for a future at Mack and Cracks.

I think most know this, but it had to be said.

Bassboy,

That’s a good field.

How old are you?

How long have you been going to college?

Boilerguy gave you good advice. Get your priorities in order. Costs are relative. When I graduated high school in 1977 I had dreams of teaching high school music. I went to Bemidji State and started my college career. After my first year I had amassed over $2,000.00 in college debt! Sounds like peanuts doesn't it? When I did the math I figured I would be lucky to come out of 4 years of college with anything less than a $10,000.00 college debt. I just couldn't imagine how I could ever pay back that kind of debt in my life. It scared the heck out of me so much that I elected to drop out. To this day I believe it was the worst decision I have ever made and I have regretted it ever since. Costs go up every year but so do incomes and in the end it all remains fairly relevant.

Put up with missing a few things for a few years and you'll be in a far better position to replace them with even better later. Stick it out, man.

Bob

Bob,

You have a good point. Put of school for 10 years, it will cost you around 50% more in funds to do it.

Side note,

I guess I was having fun with the Liberal Arts degree thing a little to much. I do not want to offend anyone. Anyone one here could have one, that is something and is better than nothing. For all I know Rick could have one and I would not want to offend him or any one else.

I would stay in school.

Originally Posted By: BobT
When I graduated high school in 1977...

WOW, I was born in November of your senior year of highschool. I am 32 now grin.gif

You had started down the right path, going to BSU. It is the Mid-West's equivalent of Harvard.

Do what you need to do to finish your education. I am 33, went to school for 3 years after H.S. never graduated but finished a 2 year program in a tech school after spending the first year drinking beer and wasting my parents money. Biggest regret ever was not getting my diploma! Granted the paper wouldn't have made me any smarter but it's sure important to potential employers. I've been in the workforce for over 12 years now and with hard work dedication I too have some nice things but I am fairly positive that without my college education and tech school experience that I would not be were I am today. Don't ever sell your guns!! But do what you gotta do to finish. Lastly, don't ever be afraid or too da#$^ proud to ask someone for help if you need it, the old saying goes.."where there's a will there's a way"!! Good Luck, were rootin' for ya!

Just thought of something else, when I was in school I needed some cash to get by so I sold some of my stuff to a few buddies and family members who promised me they would never sell it to anyone else, then later as I had the money I bought it back from them. Just another option.

Originally Posted By: boilerguy
Let me clear my throat so I can use my dad voice. Ahem.

Put your priorities in order. What is more important to you, fishing gear, guns, boat, and a truck? Or a college education. Only you can decide that one.

Put it this way, WITHOUT an education your going to need the fishing gear to eat, and the boat to catch more fish and a truck to take you to the lakes that the fish are bitting. But

WITH an education:

You will be able to put GAS in the truck the tow the boat that also needs gas which in turn enables you to catch fish on your day off of work you work all those years to enjoy!!

well the one thing I got going for me is im a younger high school grad....I grduated HS 2006 at 17yrs old second youngest in my class and im in my second year at vermilion CC in Ely....ha! killerloop has a point! theres been a few times I didnt go fishing cuz I couldnt buy gas for the boat. I got another year yet at vcc cuz math is my arch enemy but Im seriously thinking about a four yr from stevens point....My ideal career would be a wildlife biologist or maybe a forester...Im sure everything will work out...somehow it always does...thanks for your advice..Im guessing im not the only one with this problem!

Stay in school man! Take out a loan and live it up man! A couple extra thousand to pay back aint going to kill ya in the long run, and the fun you can have for that extra thousand now can never be replaced! NEVER! There is no time like college time! I went to be a Tool Maker, I didnt enjoy that and have been a heavy equipment operator ever since and have never regreted going to school for a minute. My career has nothing to do with what I went to school for but those where the funnest 2 years of my life! Finish school and live it up man!

Here are my thoughts, take them for what they are worth.

All your things can be replaced. I would sell the boat before the guns. You can replace all your things when you have a good job. Besides, you can always find someone to go fishing with.

Now, for school, make sure it's what you want. I had a lot of friends that went to school while I did my dream and played in a rock band. I have no regrets for it. My opinion of school is this, if you are going for something and know what you want to do, continue on and finish your education. If you are just taking up space and going for generals, take a year or two to work and figure out what you want to do then go back. I have friends that went for accounting, or whatever and got out and just got a job doing whatever they could find. I know make more than them. I was fortunate to fall into computers and got a good job.

It's your choice. If you know what you want to do, you can never go wrong with education.

This has been a very interesting thread to read... as an educator I would like to say, your education is something nobody can take away from you. Things you learn in college(not all from classes)you take with you the rest of your life!

Do your best to stay in school...

I worked a 40 hour week while going full time to college. Sure, it took me almost 6 years to graduate, but I did it. I was the first in my family to grad from college. It can be done, you just have to work hard for it.

Stay in school. Period. Sell the boat if you need money. There's plenty of fishing to be done from shore, or the banks of a river. Buy a canoe, they are cheaper and don't require gas.

The natural resources field will have many jobs in the next 0-10 years, and you won't get one without a college education. Go to S Point, get the 4 yr, you'll be better off in the long run.

There are many testiments from people here on staying in school and getting it done. You can do it to.

Another vote to stay in school.

I HATED SCHOOL, I wasn't a very good student, I barely got through high school and went to college at MSUM because at that time I knew I had to. Let me tell you that the first few years are by far the toughest. After that for me, the classes got easier because I was in something that I enjoyed. Just like Dietz, it took me 5 years to get through and yes I do have 20k in student loans to show for it. (which isn't that bad compared to most) but I also worked 30 hrs a week durring school and 40 in the summer.

I have sold my lms 334c, a vexilar fL18, aqua vu ect.. while in college because I needed the money for something i.e. rent...

Let me tell you that there is no better feeling than graduating and it opens many, many doors, I believe in an earlier post I read "glass ceiling" and that depends on what you want to do, but generaly it's true.

Stuff is Stuff and thats all it is, I have tons of stuff now, more than I will ever need, and I have only been out of school for 6 months. So what I am saying is stuff will come.

Don't be a fool stay in school and if that means selling some gear than so be it, good credit and a college education are way more important than that.

Let me chime in agian, only a little deeper this time. It all depends what you want out of life. Do you want to retire early and comfortable or work till you die? Do you want to drive a new truck someday or stay with something 20 years old? Its all going to be a matter of trade offs. You will have to give up some stuff now to get much more later. Education will get you everything. One thing to keep in mind is that with the state of the economy right now we have people with masters degrees applying for entry level jobs. How are you going to compete with that?