Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mnhunter 3815

zipple bay report 15 -18

16 posts in this topic

well fishing was great again on the big pond.we didnt move our hosue from the east side till sunday.saturday we ended up with 6 nice keepers and 1 keeper nothern.must have tossed bacl about 20 little 1's.sunday we moved our hosue out in 30ft on the west side.got it all jacked up holes drilled then mother nature took her toll after that.snowing and 30 mph winds.we caught alot of fish amd tosses alot of the small 1's back.we couldnt leave the house saturday night to go clean fish.it was a complete white out.today we ended up with 8 nice keepers and we had to wait for a plow truck to come plow us out so we could leave.we laeft at 11:30 this mornin.we fished from 7 am till 11 am today caught about 20 fish and kept 8.nick was plowing a new main street cause the other 1 was a wreck major drifting.its going tobe a little tough from now on to get around the lake in a truck.im headed back up on friday till sunday.

btw jigging was key they didnt want fat heads or the deadstick.

we were out fri at about 8am in 30 fow until sat 5pm. The 2 of us cought 50+ fish (lots of small ones) took home 13.

I had very similar results on Sunday...Until the storm hit...It seemed that once the front moved in, the bite slowed down. We decided to pack it up early, before dark and respect the lake. It was ugly. But overall in the 28 ½ feet of water we were in...We caught a bunch of little ones....and mixed results on jigging. At times they seemed to react and attack jigging motion, while when trying to mimic the same action 10-15 later, you couldn't scare them away any faster. It was very tough to read. My dads old school dead stick out produced everyone by far. He was fishing 1 ft or less off the bottom with a plain hook. He gave it a jig every 10 min or so, and let the minnow do the work. Another hook that produced very well for us was the gold Gem-N-Eye.

Was out there on the 15 and 16th fishing was real good fished in 30ft of water caught most fish on a deadstick but the bigger ones came from a chubby darter. We kept 8 eyes the first day and 10 saugers and 3 jumbo perch. The second day kept 7 eyes and 6 sauger and two jumbo perch. (please read forum policy before

posting again)

Everyone is reporting good fishing out of Zipple Bay, yet someone in the Arnesen's post said fishing has been extremely slow. Is this just a matter of location? Or what is up?

P.S. what color and size Chubby darter if ya don't mind. I'm not much of a walleye guy, heck I can pretty much remember every walleye I've ever caught in my life, yeah, that few. Thanks for the tips.

It was a red number 4 chubby darter

it seems tome that the whole south eastern side been doing great.i had a few buddies try long point and did very well.they they took the sleds to gull rock tha tis right out front of Arnesens and they dod pretty good there.

(please read forum policy before posting again)

Originally Posted By: TNFL
Everyone is reporting good fishing out of Zipple Bay, yet someone in the Arnesen's post said fishing has been extremely slow. Is this just a matter of location? Or what is up?

LOW is hugh just because one spot is slow on LOW doesn't mean the rest of it is at all. Arnesens won't be slow everywhere they fish either. The reefs were slow when I was there two weeks ago but twin island was rocken. So it totally depends on location and the fish for the day. You never know.

Going up next weekend...

Is there any sense to getting out early and skipping breakfast at the lodge? Anything happening before 8am?

How late does the Walleye bite go?

Thanks

Seems like everytime I get out early I sit there till 10 and

then the fish start to bite. But, you cant catch any fish

without a line in the water so if you can get out early do it.

I dont know about skipping breakfast though..

A fishin buddy of mine caught a fat 28 incher at 11 pm last

weekend in the shallows. It's a good idea to move in shallow

at 3:30 and fish till dark and even a bit past if you can.

Good things can happen at the end of the day.

you could try the shallows early in the mornin.then head out deep about 10 am.then head back to shallows around 2:30 pm if you did any good that mornin.the bite out deep has been going till about half hour past dark.as far as i know the shallow bite has been slow.but it will pick up very soon tho.i cant wait to get back in the shallows.

And by shallows are you talking 15-18 FOW?

16 ft to 12ft we did good early ice in 14ft

8-10 feet isnt too shallow. It seems I wind up in 10 to 15 feet

more often than not.