Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
late night

Fish House rentals

late night

I can only imagine what some rental outfits on any lake have to put up with. I am sure there are people who are gratefull for anything and people who are upset about everything. I very seldom rent a house from any outfit becaue I would rather do it myself and have nobody to blame for bad fishing but myself, and the DNR. The DNR dig was just a joke. Anyway, I have had experience moving houses and it sucks! There is no end to the work until the houses are off the lake. I, like many, have dreams of becoming a guide and fish all day, everyday. Wouldn't it be awesome! I dont think so. I am sure the people working in the guiding service get burned out and it turns into "just another thankless job."

Anyway, I really had no point here except I think some people expect way to much. I have worked construction for ten years now and have learned some clients will never be happy, no matter how hard you try for them. Anybody who had nothing better to do today except read this forum will know what I am talking about.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• JFitz
      I've experienced the same thing - V can be tricky through the ice. There's a ton of structure to choose from and you're pretty limited with how much you can move. We've had the most success just staking out a likely spot during primetime. Drill a bunch of holes and wait for the fish to move up. Tip-ups have helped to cover more ground and locate fish. Like Cliff said, bite windows are real short so you've gotta be out there when it's happening!
    • rainylakefisher
      Did they ever find the two missing boaters from the incident a couple weeks ago?  Haven't seen anything...
    • Cliff Wagenbach
      I agree with gimruis. Do not expect to see the same type of action or type of bite that you can get in the summer on open water! Generally the winter bite is short, ( a couple hours in the morning and a couple hours just as it is getting dark), especially if you are fishing for walleyes. Dark cloudy days can sometimes be the exception. What works one day may not work the next day also. I like to jig with a 1/8 oz. to 1/4 oz. spoon baited with a crappie minnow or just a minnow head on one of my lines. The other line is a plain hook set line with either a fathead minnow, shiner, pike sucker, or a rainbow chub as bait. Type of minnow that works best varies greatly depending upon where you are fishing! I like to set up close to rocks that drop into deeper water most of the time. Cliff    
    • smurfy
      anyone with any info as to how the ice conditions are up this way???????????
    • gimruis
      While I can't offer you any sound advice on your success while ice fishing, I can tell you that very rarely is the consistent success you've had in open water going to be near as good as it is on ice.   And that is mostly because the water is bitter cold and fish are cold-blooded, meaning that their activity is only going to be as much as they need to survive.  Other things working against you are the inability to cover as much water as you could from a boat and not as many bait/lure options, in addition to being limited to a vertical style of fishing.  I'm not saying that you should give up completely, but just keep in mind that a variety of factors comparing one to the other could be why your success isn't sustained.
    • OhioVike
      I have owned a place on Lake Vermilion(WE) since 2011 and have absolutely enjoyed every visit and season on the lake.  Our knowledge of the lake and fishing patterns have grown tremendously.  However, this experience has not translated success onto the ice.  We catch some fish, but feel like we should be doing better.  Typically we use small gear 1/16th or 32nd jigs with minnows, Spoons with just a minnow head or when we go after panfish we'll use wax worms.  We fish all the same spots and don't catch nearly as big or many fish.  When we do catch most of our fish, it's typically on mud flats and we drill a lot of holes.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  
    • OhioVike
      I have owned a place on Lake Vermilion(WE) since 2011 and have absolutely enjoyed every visit and season on the lake.  Our knowledge of the lake and fishing patterns have grown tremendously.  However, this experience has not translated success onto the ice.  We catch some fish, but feel like we should be doing better.  Typically we use small gear 1/16th or 32nd jigs with minnows, Spoons with just a minnow head or when we go after panfish we'll use wax worms.  We fish all the same spots and don't catch nearly as big or many fish.  When we do catch most of our fish, it's typically on mud flats and we drill a lot of holes.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  
    • curt quesnell
      Ice out as far as I could see today, little wind and a cool night tonight. Some wind forecast tomorrow night. It should be fine though. Here is the report   20171119_153600.mp4
    • Fishing Frenzy
      Any ice starting to form again?
    • Dirtyfisheyes
      By the look of the forecast, single digit lows at night and no snow. Should it be safe to say that the first of December would be safe for snow machines? Itching to make the trip. Also any recommendations for lodging would be helpful