Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jrpohlman39

Finding the right ice auger

14 posts in this topic

I'm trying to decide what ice auger to buy...

6 or 8 inch, brand, etc... I have a clam 5600 so I'm not sure that I would benefit from a 10 inch auger.

What to look for if buying used? Where to look for used auger?

My other dilemma is trying to decide if I should buy a flasher first. I don't mind using my hand auger, but with the ice this year it just plain sucks. This is my first full fledged ice fishing year so maybe most years a nice 8 inch hand auger would work?

Just looking for some advice...

Thanks!

JP

I vote for flasher first since you dont mind drilling by hand. This years ice will only get easier to drill soon. You would bennifit most from the flasher. AS for auger size 8 inch is more then enough, unless all you do is target huge pike, or lake trout. Used augers try the bait shop in Madison Lake . They may have some, I dont know forsure, otherwise watch the forsale forum here on FM, or craiglist.

I dont know if theyre still there or cost, quality etc, but there were 3 augers at Pawn America in Kato a few weeks ago. Again, I dont know if they test them and such but I think I saw a flasher or 2 there as well so you may possibly pick up both for the cost of a new one of either...

buy the flasher first, they're priceless when it comes to locating the fish in the water column.

i have a 10" auger and wouldn't buy a smaller one if i had to do it over again. the size difference is quite noticable from my 10" auger and my friend's 8" auger.

on a side note, is it better to buy replacement blades for the auger or have them sharpened and whats more economical. i saw this question posted somewhere else and don't remember where. i've had the same blades for 4 years and they do a good job but its time for new ones.

good things

FLasher is priceless, so I would buy a used flasher like a fl-8 if money is short. I have noticed a difference in the 8 and 10 inch but I have found out that a 8 inch is sufficient for 99% of situations. Ohh 8inch hand auger sucks for thick ice ( I have a 7inch and it is tough. I searched for the best auger and the majority of your top fisherman are switching over to the Nils master auger. They are a few more bucks ($ 489) but whats 50-70 bucks over 10 or 15 years (nothing). Just my 2 cents

Oooohhh boy, youre not lying. I as at Madison last week with my 8" hand auger... 30 minutes for 2 freaking holes- and then my buddy shows up with his brand spanking new auger (Strikemaster, $300) and punched 4 holes in about 2 minutes. On top of that the scally wanker outfished me! Talk about wanting to kick someone in the icehole.....

I would keep a eye on the classified ads here on FM.

You can sometimes by a package deal save some money and get all you need.

That said I would go with a flasher first.

Sifty

I would agree that buying a flasher first is a bright idea. In a month the ice will not be as thick. A flasher is probably the most valuable tool in my opinion.

However, if a good deal is available on an auger I wouldn't pass it up. Craigslist is a great site for augers (especially if you can drive to the Cities) Lots of augers show up on there! I would also watch the box stores because they are already dropping in price at Gander.

I was able to buy a flasher at Pawn America in St. Cloud for $150 in October and bought an older Strikemaster Mag III 8" auger for $100 from Craigslist in December. I spent some money fixing it up and getting it running, but for a little over $300 I have both a flasher and auger!

Good Luck and if you stay on top of the searching, a good deal will come around!

Definitely flasher first. Used Marcum or Vex....either will be fine.

Then, save your money for next winter and get a used gas auger.

I concur with all that has been mentioned.

Flasher then auger and like what has already been said, these 2 items and much more often come as "package deals" in the For Sale Forum right here on FM!

Definitely flasher first. If you fish mostly panfish, and plan on getting a power auger down the road, maybe just go with a 6 inch hand auger? That's all I used till the wife bought me gas rig for Christmas. Easier drilling and plenty big enough for pannies.

I was fishing up by st cloud mid jan. and saw a guy with one of those drill converters on a 6" Lazer hand auger... he was punching hold in 20" ice in about 30 seconds with a 18v skill drill... I have been very sceptical when i saw them, but if you already have a decent drill and hand auger... the conversion shafts are only 25 bucks I think...

P.S. I have seen both at madison lake and the bobber shop they had Demo Lazer gas augers for $299. I have a nine inch and love it.

Originally Posted By: doughnut03
Oooohhh boy, youre not lying. I as at Madison last week with my 8" hand auger... 30 minutes for 2 freaking holes- and then my buddy shows up with his brand spanking new auger (Strikemaster, $300) and punched 4 holes in about 2 minutes. On top of that the scally wanker outfished me! Talk about wanting to kick someone in the icehole.....

If you're looking for an auger and flasher, we have reconditioned augers in stock (Strikemaster 224) plus one used 9" Jiffy. We also carry Marcum and Vexilar flashers and we sometimes have used flashers. We'll certainly try and help you out.

Joe