Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CaptJohnWI

Crossing the bridge - arrrgh!

7 posts in this topic

Came back across the bridge Saturday night from Canada at around 7:00 p.m. Took forty minutes to get across! All the lanes were open but apparently many folks headed to the States did not have the required documents and took much longer to process than normal.

It was a great day to be on water. We got some walleyes (most all too big to keep) a few pike and one bass. I even caught four smelt from one hole. The smelt were thick under that hole but only a few small pike chasing them which also bit. Those smelt bite like crazy on small bluegill jigs tipped with tiny bit of bait but are really hard to hook.

I might even rig up a smelt rod. Nothing better eating than fresh smelt. Nothing worse eating than smelt that have been frozen.

Just my two cents, but last year I found I could catch the smelt easily with a small jigging spoon (with trebles) and a minnow head. The key was when you felt the smelt pecking at it, just start reeling them up rather than set the hook. I could get them about 75% of the time. They'd come in so thick you couldn't see anything else on the vex so might as well catch a few!

I'll try a little spoon next time I find them.

Hey John, whenever you get stuck in that line again just think of me. Last year on my first trip across the border. Long story short is I didn't realize the Canadians don't use salt on their city streets and the roads were sheer ise. I proceeded to rear-end a school teacher on her way to school going about 5 miles an hour. it was one of those super slow-mo deals. In the end it's just a little bent metal and no injuries and we still got out fishing. That's my ARGGGHHHH story:).

um, yes we do use salt on the roads up here. too much in my opinion.

when the roads are slippery, just slow down and drive accordingly like most other people do.

We haven't evolved much since the days when customs would dismantle the inside of a car and vac for suspicious herbs.

Originally Posted By: CalderPointCabin
um, yes we do use salt on the roads up here. too much in my opinion.

when the roads are slippery, just slow down and drive accordingly like most other people do.

Brilliant! Magnificent! BEST ADVICE I'VE GOT ALL YEAR!!!