Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Grant

Ahhh.. the mystical "snap"

8 posts in this topic

Tipup goes off....

pull tipup out of hole, take up any slack...

feel tension, set hook...

gently start pulling line up, feel something heavy on other end...

weight on other end makes little wiggle, bumps bottom of ice...

in an instant, large pull is felt on line.... SNAP! one piece of line becomes two...

must go back, lamenting the fact that season closes in 2 weeks....

Yes, I have heavier line on the tip up now. ;\)

Never risk going light on the tip-up line. Goes to show it's not worth it!

Originally Posted By: Grant

SNAP! one piece of line becomes two...

I had the same thing happen, only to have the wire of my hand tied quick strike rig split into two pieces! mad.gif That big girl just had to find the kink in that rig!A new rig was quickly tied up, with no kinks in the wire, after that happened.

did u have a liter on there? did it snap right where u tied it up? personally I don't use a liter, if the fish is able to snap 40# line, then more power to her...

A couple years ago I had 50 pound test braid tied straight to a big jig with a 5 inch shiner on it. Flag went up, spool was spinning, went to set the hook, and barely felt anything as my line got cut. Get my other tip-up with a leader on it and caught a 12lb northern 10 minutes later. I always use some sort of leader when I am fishing for toothies now.

That quick strike rig was the wire leader! 27 lb. test Sevenstrand to be exact.It must have had a kink in it, because it was the one and only time I have had a gator bust a wire quick strike rig.

I had a solid wire leader on- she snapped the fluoro on me, as I mentioned, got heavier line on now. 30#....

I have used 18lb wire leader material to make my own. Some are 24" long with the hooks crimped in the leader.