• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Hey guys it has been a while since I have been up on the lakes around Duluth but I have all week off of school next week due to the shooting that happened there. So a buddy of mine and I decided we needed to take a little road trip to get out of here and away from all of the issues. Figured it was time to meander back up this way. I know most of the typical spots on the lake and am just wondering if any of you guys could shed some more light like Steve or BD or any of the other guys that fish the lake a bit. Also if anyone wants to get together to put some extra heads together sometime between wed and sun this week let me know and maybe we can get something going. Thanks in advance guys we will talk to ya later.

Mornings and evenings are good for 'gills and crappies...with some action mixed in during the day. pink/while demon jigs with waxies or spikes are working well when I have been out there. Just follow where all the houses are! \:\(

Birch Island here I come!! ;\) or is that the island i've been fishing the last few wks? a little left coming straight off the [PoorWordUsage] access?

Steve,

I'm not that worried about it being that the permanent houses where setting up on top of us as we where leaving last week. My hope is that everyone will be busy there and that will leave more of the lake for us to check out as needed. There has to be another honey hole just waiting for us to find it.

Now if it would only warm up so we can make swiss cheese out of a couple new areas.

Jorgie it has been every weekend for at least 42 years that I can remember. Or at least every weekend that you could drive wherever you wanted.

On weekends I hit a reliable spot real early and by 9am Im usually hunting for the next out of site "Honey Hole". Then about 2pm I settle doen in another high % area and see if I cant get lucky.

Man I wish this weather would level out and get more consistant.

All these fronts popping in and out are making the fishing ruff.

BD110, no bother, that spot had slowed down real bad about 3 days before. Now with all the party houses out there it wont have anything but garbage and human waste all over the place. Lots of partiers out there lately. I wish the DNR would get out on that lake and do some serious educating. Too much junk laying around and Im seeing people tossing small crappies in the snow banks again. Good thing I have TIPS on my phone along with other DNR officers.

Hey Northlander,

What are those numbers for the local DNR officers and TIPS. I'm going to be out there this weekend and I'm pretty sick of all the morons making that spot a mess.

-Chris

TIPS Hotline is 1-800-652-9093

Make sure you tel them exactly what lake and where you are and all the info you can give on the offending party.

Oh and if you cant get tips to get someone there asap call the local sherriff and he will come or get the DNR too. I dont have the DNR # for MN. Only personel # and these officers dont want them on the net. Im sure you understand.

Yeah, I'll hafta agree with Northlander. Out by Birch has slowed down quite a bit. I was hoping it was due to the weather, but after a few days of small fish I've given. Started hoping around a bitand I was able to still find some hungry fish. Like everyone keeps saying, they're in the lake somewhere-just takes a little searching. Sounds like the wkend would be a perfect time to do so!

Yes Fish Lake is almost always a popular spot. I guess when I saw BD110's post with pretty specific advice, I figured the FM affect would kick in this weekend. But he is right, there is already a ton of houses out there. If people want to crowd out there, that's fine. I never have good luck in shanty towns so I won't be there.

The thing I hate about all this really cold weather is the extra thick ice. Don't get me wrong, its great for driving on, but with my hand auger it just makes for a lot of work. My new GPS should be here today, so hopefully that can eliminate some of the guess work.

Not that I thought my info was over the top. It was some very basic fishing info. I have removed my eairlier post. Hopefully everyone is going to be able to make it out to one of the area lakes for a little fishing this weekend. It should be a nice one.

Tom, I hope you understand that I wasn't trying to berate you for posting info about a specific spot. I was just thinking about how info on this site can really spread, but without thinking about how popular Fish is already.

I agree that I hope we can all get out this weekend after this miserable weather. I'm hoping to go after pike one last weekend, maybe on Wild Rice. Good luck everyone.

Eric

BD just remember whats basic to us is Gold to a lot of others who troll this site and others just for that type info.

A new honey hole has been found but only the 3 bears get to sleep in this one. ;\) Need to save the honey for the next 5o years ya know. grin.gif

What ya doing monday?

yea- people should have to pay for all of this "gold" knowledge you have. I would be running around on the lakes like a chicken with my head cut off if it wasnt for all of the superior fishermen giving up these 3 bear hunny holes

Jorgie,

I understand totaly. You guys have very good comments on the matter. It was more of a matter of me re-thinking my post and a little bit of the fact that I would like to see my name mentioned on a little more positive note.

My fishing plans have changed a little bit. I will be on Rice lake Today (friday) and Sunday for a last chance tip-up party.

I will be on Fish lake for the fishing contest on Satursay and look forward to meeting a few of you.

Northlander, I work Monday, Wednesday & Friday

I figured by now northlander you would have gone pro, but without a river tourney trophy I guess you can't. As far as fishing goes it used to be friendly with fellows getting together BSing, now it looks like more competition fishing. A little modesty goes a long ways. Keep those lines wet.

I had a honey hole on fish for 25 years and now I will be looking for a knew hole. Years ago there was only a hand full of guys on the hole lake and now it is just like where one house is there is 20 houses. This is why I will not ever say where I am but will post depth and bait used. so many people and so little fish we will see what has happened next year for fishing we all will be looking for a new lake. Well I hope every one gets out this week it will be warm and good fishing to all.

Skippers Kid, bright side is, because you keep your mouth shut and the masses have migrated to Fish, you're going to have less company on the other lakes where you find a good bite.

OK, OK, I'm always looking for a silver lining. grin.gifgrin.gif

25 years ago we did not have the internet, so fisherman actually sat on the ice and dealt with the problem instead of typing their problems away on a forum

good call beastlight. Hopefully I will see you on the back side of airplane island " sunken white pine timbers" no one knows about that baby. Sharpen your spear, see ya tommorow A.M. Hey Northlander does fish lake have wireless internet access?

Originally Posted By: BeastLight
25 years ago we did not have the internet, so fisherman actually sat on the ice and dealt with the problem instead of typing their problems away on a forum

BL, come on now.

Just like you I was fishing 25 years ago. I dealt with problems then the same way I do now. I figure things out as best I can on my own and lean on my buddies when I can't figure them out myself. Just like we did in 1983, except we had REALLY stupid music back then. grin.gifgrin.gif

And these days I've got 36,000 plus HSO/FM buddies helping me out instead of 5. That many "friends" means I'm pretty careful about giving out spots, but I didn't much open my mouth in 1983 about my favorite spots because fishing friends haven't changed much in 25 years, whether they're on the Internet, in the boat or in the bar.

True I just don't understand the deal with this hot spot talk. There is no point bringing it up. Keep shut and you will find yourself fishing by yourself, the ideal way!

Well, I agree.

But 25 years ago, didn't you tell the bait shop boys that they were biting at spot X on lake Y when they were really biting on lake A in spot B? grin.gifgrin.gif

For every spot the bait shop boys let out that draws the crowds, there are a dozen other spots that are just as good or better. After all, there aren't any more anglers now than there were then. In fact, there are fewer.

your correct less fisherman now, people that fish are bunching up more than ever due to lack of knowledge and fear of ice condtions. "lets stay close to the road somebody else has traveled." Some people want to be recognized more than others and they use the forum as a tool to accomplish that.