Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MedicDan

Cossing the border....

9 posts in this topic

For the summer time and a newbie fishing at Lake of the Woods, what is required for me to cross into the Canadian Section of the lake? Is it even worth it if I am only going to be there for only 3 days?

Search thru past posts on remote border crossings. I know this topic has been covered previously and you should be able to find some info.

I thought I heard that it's OK if you stay on the water/ice and not set foot on shores of "the other country" and return to the port of origin.

But If checked, you cant bring live bait across and you need lic. to fish there, and a bait receipt for the bait you'll need to buy in Canada, which means you need to go ashore...hmm

You cannot cross the border without a remote border crossing pass. The border line is the line and the shore has nothing to do with it. I know past threads had some websites to learn the rules. Here's a link I found searching past posts

http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ub...true#Post804275

You will need to obtain a Canadian fishing license and you should obtain a RABC (remote area border crossing) pass. They are $30. You can however just call in to Canadian customs before you cross in however sometimes it's hard to get service up there and the process can take some time. Remember before you go in to Canada to get your paperwork, that you now need a passport, birth certificate or your baptismal papers to return back into the U.S.! If you don't your going to have a bad day!!

So if I'm understanding you correctly, you need a passport to get back into MN, but you don't need one yet to enter Canada, correct?

I cant answer your last question but: if anyone in your party has EVER had a dwi - plan on them staying in Minnesota.

The problem is not getting in to Canada. The U.S. side is where they changed the rules for returning to the U.S. You WILL need either a passport, birth certificate (original or notorized copy) or notorized baptismal papers to re-enter the United States. If you don't your going to be in for a long and frustrating wait until you can produce some paperwork.

Last year we were up in Ontario ice fishing and had a U.S. border patrol helicopter hovering at the border waiting for us to re-enter. Fortunatly for us everyone in our group had RABC's and all our paperwork in order otherwise it could have gotten ugly.(moral of the story......) don't even think about not doing everything by the book up there, they don't care who you are or what your story or excuse is, if your not legal, you will pay!!

No live bait, and no alchohol on the water in Canada either, I believe is about $100 per minnow if you get caught with live bait. The Canadian and United States customs both have pretty decent websites that will explain all the rules and regulations.

I fish that area quite often. I'm usually the lone Canadian in the group, fishing with a bunch of guys from MN. Some of us in our group have RABC's. The ones that don't simply check in every morning, as stated by telephone at a number of call in stations. If they are down, simply dial a toll free number. I believe it's 1-888-canpass. You answer their questions, and they give you a 4 digit number and you have now "cleared customs". The RABC is not necessary, all be it convenient for multiple crossings/trips per year.

Birth certificate and photo ID to get back into the US. Buy your Ontario license in Sprague, MB at the Shell corner gas station.