Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MN-FishGuy

Cedar Lake

14 posts in this topic

I was out on Cedar Lake yesterday, in 36 feet of water I was marking fish all afternoon, but could not get them to bite at all. They seemed to disappear by sunset, and nothing else came through. Anybody else been fishing Cedar? Any luck?

Probably a bunch of small sunnies or perch.

i have my house out there about the same depth and i was catchin crappies but mostly after or before dark. but i havnt been out ther for a while now so.

I've had a cabin on Cedar for over 20 years and never been out on the ice. How does the lake compare to those in the area when it comes to ice fishing?

Doesn't seem to be as productive in the winter.

I sort of got that vibe. Thanks

but ya know it cant be that bad of a lake. ive been out many times and been skunked. but also ive been out and done alright.

I live a mile from the lake, I fish the heck out of it in the summer and do very well, I have tried it a little in the winter with out any luck, so I don't go out there in the winter. But I do know some people that have had good luck out there in the winter.

Must be one of those lakes you really have to spend some time on to figure it out.

Robbo

this lake is awesome in the summer time!! I spent alot of time out there last year as well. Great deep water fishing here.

It is geat in the summer before 6 am otherwise there is so many recreational boaters and jet skis it is impossible to fish. They stir up so many weeds you cant even troll some days. I used to love to fish this lake 10 years ago now it is just frustrating with all the people.

I fish the lake alot in the summer- I have come accustomed to the recreation traffic. The thing that gets to me is the Out of State fishers camping at the county park. I was out there last summer and had a good three day run of catching and releasing fish. Two boats(Which I found out Sunday) was a father and son group. They ? me why i was always throwing back the bigs ones. I told them you can only keep 1 over 20" daily. They asked if this was a Lake rule or State Rule. I told them it is a state wide regulation. They never heard of such a thing. Now I never seen them catch anything, but being on the lake alot I run into stuff like that all the time. Just wonder how many out of state people actually know the Rules and Regs here.

Robbo, I remember you telling that story. Scary. I spend a lot of time on Cedar as well as my inlaws own a home on it. I've had some fantastic days fishing for Bass in the summer. I've also gotten skunked so calling it Awsome I beleive is a stretch as I've Never caught bass over 18.5 inches, Pike over 28 inch or Walleye over 16. Walleye fishing has been a real challenge and in the past few years I've only boated a couple keeper walleyes. I don't think there is a huge population of harvestable Walleyes there. Pike fishing seems easy and is for the most part productive for smaller keeper fish. The recreational traffic is insane on this lake from Mid June through late August. A guy has to learn to deal with it is all. Frustrating as heck but I think it's like that all over the place. If you want little to no boat traffic you'll have to drive several hours north. I've spent the last couple openers on this lake and frankly I think there are better walleye lakes within just a couple miles of the access. I'll still spend time there but as for opener, I'm hitting the Minnesota river then maybe Lake Sarah south west of here.

There are some nice walleyes in there. I have found that when the wind is from the south, I have my best fishing out there, well thats in the spots I fish. I have tried the south end, but just don't have much luck down there. Give me a hoot when your going to be out there this summer.

Robbo

Robbo,

Will do. My inlaws have a place (round house large deck facing lake) on the southern most channel back by the reeds on the far south eastern part of the lake. I spend alot of time on the south end because I fish out of a 69 alumacraft with a 1993 8 horse Tuhatsu. If you see me out casting somewhere swing over and say hey. I jazzed up the old boat by building a casting platform, bow mount trolling motor attachment, battery storage, and added new electronics, but it can only do so much when it comes to A to B type stuff.