Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
longcaster

tip ups

5 posts in this topic

My father thinks that you can not use treble hooks on tip ups in MN but I have heard from other fishermen that this is ok. can't find anything in the regulations that says this is not allowed. just wondering if anyone uses them or knows the rule. -thanks

Page 10 of the 2007 MN Fishing Regs, the first bullet statement under Angling:

"Anglers may use only one hook. An artificial lure is considered one hook. A treble hook, when not part of an artificial lure, is considered three hooks and is not legal..."

If it is part of a lure you can use it. If you are using a treble hook by itself that is not legal. I bought a Mad Dog treble hook that had a red bead with white dots on it a couple years ago. The idea was that it is a "lure". I have never used it and been checked to see how that would play out.

So a plain treble hook with a minnow is not allowed but if I put a buckshot rattle spoon (which has a treble hook) down with a minnow on a tip up, then I'm OK

Originally Posted By: longcaster
So a plain treble hook with a minnow is not allowed but if I put a buckshot rattle spoon (which has a treble hook) down with a minnow on a tip up, then I'm OK

Correct. Most people who use trebles on tip-ups in Minnesota add a bead and a very small spinner (the type you get with Swedish Pimples) above the hook but below the sinker. Makes it a legal "lure."

thanks guys grin.gif