Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tunrevir

AND THE WINNER & WT WAS>>>>>>>>>?

13 posts in this topic

HEY, how did the Fishapalooza turn out? Just wonder what the crowds were like and if my winning guess was close.(4-6 slimer) Flu bug hit the house this week coming into the weekend and haven't gotten out much. How did it go and how did everyone think it went? Was it well ran? Dan and his buddy went a long ways to get this thing up and running and I applaud them for getting the local charities involved and for all of the sponsors they got on board! Everyone have fun? Anyone not have fun? What could have been better? What could have been worse(-20 plus todays winds!) Hey, how was the bikini team, anyone brave enough to show up in skivvy's for the ladies? Let's hear how it went. Hope our FM family did well and had agreat time and enjoyed the Forest Lake hospitality!

Tunrevir~

I was working but several buddies were there and repoted biggest fish was a northern. 5 lbs. 6 oz.

yep, can't remember exactly but it was a 5+ pound northern that won it. people were turning in crappies like nuts right away, i think within the first half hour there were about a hundred people lined up to weigh fish. i'm not sure what the final listings were though.

I have to say though, the tournament was run flawlessly. i can't think of anything they really could have done much better. great atmosphere, good reasonably priced food, beer sleds, free ice hole schnapps, and yes the bikini girls were walking around (wearing coveralls doh!). i had a good time even though i didn't win anything.

can't wait til next year

we were out there yesterday,was a blast. My dad left the ice thinking he won an ATV. we got the the VFW and some guy had 2 fish entered so my dad got bumped up a spot,from like 95 to 94. No ATV!!!! He did walk away with a new otter wilderness portable though. 500$ shack.Not bad for a 30$ ticket and a 1.03 lb northern.

Did anybody see the guy that fell near the board at the end of the contest? He was out cold, medics took him off the ice on a stretcher. Anybody know if he was O.K?

It was a great day. My inlaws came in from S. Dakota and were thoroughly impressed. Hardly any wait on the shuttle buses. All the reps were very nice too. Did see the bikini team riding around in one of those Wildcat things, they wernt in coveralls then ! Got a free drink at Friar Tucks and called it a day. Hats off to the organizers !

5.6 lb northern. Two 1 lb+ crappies, one bass and the rest northerns. A 0.8 lb northern was 104th and won the boat. Winners list already posted at http://www.icefishingforestlake.com.

I thought it was a fun and ejoyable tourney, even though I didnt catch anything.

It was a great event and very well organized and will definitly be a yearly tourny for me. My $3 scoop of minnows was a great investment for me won on Mikes Bait drawing. I was out there and thought the big "flat" would pay off but hey, win some and lose some. It was a great time and great folks out there to socialize with.

It was a blast. I think they thought of everything. Went very smooth and very well organized. I didn't get anything, but I'll be back later.

Thanks to everyone for coming to the event and the kind words.

We had a great turn out for a first year event. It was a lot of work trying to get the word out about the new contest. I would say 70% of the people I had talk to over the past 4 months didn't think there was going to be a Forest Lake contest this year, because of the Golden Rainbow canceling and calling it quits.

I even had someone call me on event day asking if it was canceled, because they had heard from a friend that heard from a friend that it was. I told them by the looks of the thousands of people out here, I think it was still a go.

I hope everyone understands that this was our first year doing this. Neither one of us had ever organized any type of event like this, so it was all new to us and most of it was guess work. We talked to the Hopkins Jaycees and even went to the Brainerd Extravaganza contest to learn how to pull something like this off. Both the Brainerd and Hopkins Jaycees were very helpful, and for this I am thankful.

We have learned a lot from this years event and we know there are a lot of things we need to improve apon.

We would love to hear comments from all of you that attended, good or bad.

Your suggestions will help make this event bigger and better.

As for the stats....

We are still going through the paper work, but I have some rough estimates.

About 1000 fish registered, with about 170 of them being pike.

We had a very high survival rate for the fish. Most people brought their catch in bags or buckets with water and we worked hard to revive the fish in a holding pond we cut into the ice.

We're not done crunching the numbers yet, but it looks like we're down around a 4% mortality rate.

We had around 7000 - 7500 contestants.

And best of all, we made a lot of money for the charities of the Forest Lake VFW.

I will have more accurate data for you in a week.

Once again... THANK YOU for your participation.

And don't forget to send me your comments or suggestions to dan@icefishingforestlake.com

Sounds like everyone had a great time from the posts I've read and people I have talked to. I know alot of the local businesses in town did some banner business the day of the event. The offsite parking and shuttle busses really helped with congestion and traffic issues. Hats off to you for an event that was well organized and lots of fun for all involved!

Tunrevir~

Guys,

As you know, I went out on the ice to do some post-event clean-up on Sunday. I picked up 10 items...total! The event area is cleaner today than it was before the event, and I know that is of big concern to the locals! Congrats on an extremely well run event. Can't wait 'til next year...!

Nice, I didn't see anyone throwing trash. Awesome that it was clean. Again, you all did a great job.

I agree wholehaertedly, I ran out past the fishing area today after work and it was spotless! Great job guys, Look foreward to the fishing masses once again next year!

Tunrevir~