Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pipesmoker

Wayzata Walleye Bite?????

28 posts in this topic

I'm heading out tonight about midnight and stay until the sun comes. Anyone having any success????

Steve

Well, I went out last night. Overslept a little and got set up around 3:00. Caught a fat 20 incher about 4:00. A couple sniffed but only caught the one. 35 feet on a fathead while jigging a pimple at the other hole. Will be out tonight.

Steve

Went out to the same place tonight and caught a 22 incher. Will try the morning bite again. Any other reports????

Steve

I have heard 30 feet over rocks late at night (after 10 or 11) is working well. What depth are you in? I may head out tomorrow night.

GE

I have moved from 35 to 40 to 24. Nothing in the last two weeks. Only a couple of bites.

was out yesterday in 18 fow right on an inside turn on the weedline. graphed fish, and had a few come up for a sniff, but no takers...couldn't even get the perch to bite. some friends were in 22 fow only 20 yards from our house and caught 1 small eye.

Tried an inside turn on Brown's Friday evening, jigging in 19ft tip up in 28ft. No luck. Tried a midlake hump with rocks Sunday evening, jigging 35 ft, tip up in 44ft to start and moved to 32 ft. No luck. I saw a few 'eyes with the camera but no takers.

good to know its not just me struggling, had a good day on super bowl sunday but since then its been slow. Haved moved the permanent about 4 times. Rocks depth 22 feet, then the transition out in 36 feet off the pile. Then weed edge in 18 then outside the edge in 20 feet. Every time i talk the guys at wayzata they make it sound like everyone is killing them except me

I agree, the ice season seemed to start off better than usual for me, but I've been defeated by the 'eyes at least the last 4 times out. Only one weekend left to redeem ourselves.

I'll be there on saturday, plan on staying late. Hopefully I'll end the season on a good note. Have only fished minnetonka once (last month) and was after panfish, so I'll definitely be exploring lot's of area. Hopefully the walleye's will make my adventure ALOT easier. ;\)

Sunday/Monday: 24 FOW, One 14", one 10" and one 18" walleye, all around 7-10. Perch during the day.

Spent the night last night in 24' and nothing. Not even a bite. Will be moving to 30ish today to try to end on a positive trend.

Wife is going out of town back home to ohio with my son this weekend so I will be out all fri night /sat/sun in 3 days/nights hoping to find the eyes somewhere and when i do they will pay a heavy price for dodging me the past couple weeks. If their the right size they might even pay with their lives.

You tell those walleyes

going out tonite well be back with the report.

Really cold windy nights with lots of cracking haven't done anything for me so far this year. I think I might be inside until Friday.

Edit: The 'eyes I posted about earlier were caught before the wind came in, \:\)

I've been sucking it up on the walters for a month now. My tried and true spot has been pounded and nada going on there. Still has perch though, but once dusk hit, not even a blip for an hour. I left after that.

Those Wayzata bait guys always find them.

One 18 this morning in 32' Hit about 6 am. Only fished from 5:30 til 7

So what's the general consensus for the lack of bite..roller coaster weather patterns? time of year? bumper crop of baitfish? They gotta be hanging out somewhere.

went last nite got one 25 incher... but dont know how to post the pix up.

was out two nights ago and caught a 8 inch eye and the rest i have caught this past month are all in the 8-13 inch range. What depth did you catch that 25 incher in.

Originally Posted By: anchor man
So what's the general consensus for the lack of bite..roller coaster weather patterns? time of year? bumper crop of baitfish? They gotta be hanging out somewhere.

I think it's time of year or they are just in patterns that I can't figure out, but hey I'm a bass guy. Rumor has it deep, but I was skunked in 28 feet and had perch all around so I thought it would be the ticket - not. Still have this weekend to try.

I was gonna put a tip up out deep (25 to 35 ft) for walleyes, in that depth are they generally hugging the bottom or would I be better off letting the bait sit 2 or 3 ft up?

Originally Posted By: EPwalleyehunter
was out two nights ago and caught a 8 inch eye and the rest i have caught this past month are all in the 8-13 inch range. What depth did you catch that 25 incher in.

fishing at about 35 to 40 ft of water

Originally Posted By: JBMasterAngler
I was gonna put a tip up out deep (25 to 35 ft) for walleyes, in that depth are they generally hugging the bottom or would I be better off letting the bait sit 2 or 3 ft up?

The ones I've seen on my camera have all been hugging the bottom

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• BringAnExtension

Posted

11 hours ago, ZachD said:

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

Yes, he probably is.  I book with him early.  I think that he offers guide service in December up until he opens the sleepers up.  Might align with your portables.

• I was on Namakan yesterday and kept 4 eyes 14" to 15" caught in under 20' of water. Water temp is 60. I was rigging with a half crawler. However, I had friends out using jigs and minnows in 40+ ft and they did well. He said he found a school and using his I Pilot just hovered over the top of them. So it seems the fish are scattered and all methods are working.

1 person likes this
    • monstermoose78

Posted

I hope this weekend is better than last!!  I know there is a  lot of ducks around but they have so many places to hide.

• If you want to stay away from the crowd I would suggest Beacon Harbor I think after jan 1st they don't allow day passes its only beacon harbor and outdoor authority who have houses there. Then they allow only a limited amount of yearly passes.

Now they don't have all the bells and whistles like a bar and food ect but John and Ann are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Not to mention I personally think it is some of the best.

Now if you needed a bar and food and all that my choices would be Rogers or Westwind

• fins_n'_feathers

Posted

Today was the complete opposite of yesterday. The current coming out of light house gap made a pocket of clear water out in the lake overnight, fished right on the edge of the muddy water in 14 feet of water and went through 3 bags of frozen shiners and caught a bunch on plastics after the minnows were gone. Nothing fantastic for size, only 3 in the slot but nice limits of 14-17 inchers and a ton of smaller fish. Once that muddy water gets blown out or clears up the bite is going to be crazy good!

1 person likes this
    • eyeguy 54

Posted

212 wondering the same thing maybe?? ;)   

• Agronomist_at_IA

Posted

• CigarGuy

Posted

I got 4 nice ones last Friday in about 8' to 9' of water in a channel off Wakemup Bay .  It was the last hour of daylight.  Tried a couple times during the day Saturday and right before dark and struck out.

• 11 hours ago, BringAnExtension said:

Zach-

I have been making annual ice fishing trips with friends for about 12 years ago.  We have tried LOTW, Mille Lacs, Red and one other lake that happened to be where we could use a free cabin for a weekend.  With that one exception for the free cabin, we have also rented sleepers.

We have never made it to Devils Lake, but it is on my personal bucket list just because of the possibility of those monster perch.

Six years ago, we ended up back on Red and no longer consider any other option.  Here's why:

• This fishing is good.
      • The Petrowske family are wonderful hosts.
      • No other resort that we have used has come close to being wonderful hosts.  They just didn't put any effort into it.

Now, I don't know how that you translate to your running portables, but I have never been disappointed with our trips to URL.

Hope that helps.

You should definitely try Devils lake I went 3 years ago and had a blast. Not only did we get put on a good perch bite but they put us on an Insane walleye bite the guy said it was about an hour window from when the sun starting setting and boy was he right in that hour I caught walleye after walleye after walleye. As soon as I would start reeling one up another mark would take its place on my graph and I couldn't get my lure down fast enough.

I am sure Johnny P is all booked up on weekends by now and for some reason some of the guys don't like sleeper houses all though I may push for it this year last year was such a hassle packing everything up for the night loading the trucks having to bring sleds and wheelers. I much rather bring my flasher couple rods and lots of beer. I go fishing enough running and gunning its nice to have a break where you just show up and fish.

I usually go to red 3-4 times a year and last year we did go to red for our work trip as well. Just weighing the options.

Has anyone ever rented house from Arties bait on big stone?

• DRAGFOOT

Posted

I don't know what to say, we crushed em jigging in 30 feet last Friday while getting knocked around in the waves. Anchored up and never moved. Lots of boats on the river already then and not good reports at that point. I was going to go back up for Saturday and if I did I would go straight out to 30 feet again. 

• BringAnExtension
      Yes, he probably is.  I book with him early.  I think that he offers guide service in December up until he opens the sleepers up.  Might align with your portables.
    • Dusty
      I was on Namakan yesterday and kept 4 eyes 14" to 15" caught in under 20' of water. Water temp is 60. I was rigging with a half crawler. However, I had friends out using jigs and minnows in 40+ ft and they did well. He said he found a school and using his I Pilot just hovered over the top of them. So it seems the fish are scattered and all methods are working.
    • monstermoose78
      I hope this weekend is better than last!!  I know there is a  lot of ducks around but they have so many places to hide.
    • ZachD
      If you want to stay away from the crowd I would suggest Beacon Harbor I think after jan 1st they don't allow day passes its only beacon harbor and outdoor authority who have houses there. Then they allow only a limited amount of yearly passes. Now they don't have all the bells and whistles like a bar and food ect but John and Ann are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. Not to mention I personally think it is some of the best.   Now if you needed a bar and food and all that my choices would be Rogers or Westwind
    • fins_n'_feathers
      Today was the complete opposite of yesterday. The current coming out of light house gap made a pocket of clear water out in the lake overnight, fished right on the edge of the muddy water in 14 feet of water and went through 3 bags of frozen shiners and caught a bunch on plastics after the minnows were gone. Nothing fantastic for size, only 3 in the slot but nice limits of 14-17 inchers and a ton of smaller fish. Once that muddy water gets blown out or clears up the bite is going to be crazy good!