Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaxMan

McKusick in Stillwater

6 posts in this topic

Has anybody fished this lake before for sunnies or crappies in the last couple years. I remember it had some monster pumpkins in it. It is a real shallow lake and is spring fed. confused.gif

It is shallow and skunky and very weed choked in the summer. It looks like a stagnant swamp in the summer. There has been some discussion at several Stillwater City Council meetings to try to get it cleaned up. I think the city contracted out the harvest of weeds from it last year to try to control some of the weed and smell problems. I've never heard of anybody fishing it.

There was a state record Punkinseed taken in the 70's out of there by Mike Smith. They realy should clean it up we used to spend a lot of time there and at Lily lake.

A lot of things have changed since the 70's that have impacted on McKusick Lake. Lots of housing development with nice lawns leaching their fertilizers into the storm water runoff and eventually into McKusick. The DNR did something to improve the water quality of Brown's Creek but for some reason that has had a negative impact on McKusick - I think it diverted all the storm water runoff that would have gone into Brown's Creek into McKusick instead which really screwed up the Lake. It is going to take some bucks to fix it and it has turned into a political football. Not many people are interested in fixing it if it going to cost them money.

Wax man, so do you want to go and fish that lake this spring before it turns into an Algae sewer and see if we can get a state record something out of their? We might be able to find a state record frog with twelve legs and three eyes. ;\)

McKusick Lake is located in Stillwater. The lake has shorefishing access points along the walking path on the north and west sides of the lake. There is also a place to launch a canoe from on the east end. The lake had winterkill of fish in 2006/2007. It will be restocked with bluegill and crappie in the spring of 2007, but fishing may be a little slow until the populations build back up> I found this on DNR web site. also the name of the person that caught the record pumpkin seed in the

70's was David Glass and he lived right on lake