Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dmcca212

Minnetonka advice

12 posts in this topic

Hey all. Going out to Tonka later today for the first time with some friends. None of us know anything about the lake so if someone could point a newbie in a good direction that would be much appreciated. We're fishing for whatever...pannies, crappies, walleyes. Just going out to have fun.

Any of the smaller bays are holding tons of panfish. try Grays for starters.

Good luck

Thanks man. Where's the access at?

off of 101. look for anywhere between 14 to 18 feet of water.

If the vexilar doesnt show anything, move until it does. they are there.

Good luck.

Is the ice thick enough for a truck? I would think so but just wanna make sure. Thanks again.

There is pretty solid ice all around the lake i the big bays etc.. just be careful around channels if your gonna be around them.

18-24 inches everywhere ive been ..

Im going to try tonka in a little bit. I heard walleyes are deeper... bout 30 feet to be exact. any ideas?

I know I'm late but just a good distance away from any channels.

Gray is a good start, Then black lake (A bay on tonka), Maxwell, were do we stop.

Really wanting to hit greys bay on sunday. Looking for panfish. Anyone know where to look out there? Should i go to a different bay?

In the middle of the bay is a deep hole

CrappieFshr651 - We had good action on Gray's last Sunday morning. Lots of bluegills, one crappie. All pretty small for the most part.

We drove out. Ice looked to be 20"+. Initially we set up in 17' and got nothing. Moved after 15 minutes and set up in 21'. Bluegills were suspended from just below the ice to 8' down. Hooked many while sightfishing them.

Small ratso tipped w/ half a waxie worked best. We then went looking for some bigger fish and moved to 13'. We found fish, but they were the same size as those out in deeper water.

This was a morning bite so I can't comment if the crappies start biting at dusk or not.

PS - we were away from everyone else.

DB

I fished last weekend on Grays in 10-14 ft, actually trying for some pike, but I also found the small bluegills to be suspended about 3-6 ft below the ice. Didn't catch pike..