• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Weekend Report!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

croixeyes

All right its here!!! Well at least its close,headin out on the river in a bit.Try to give and update tonight.Good Luck Out There.. tired.gif

Went out this morning fished in 17 fow from 5:30 to 8:30. Once again marked a bunch of fish and couldn't get any of them to bite. Moved a little deeper. Tried a few places all around 35 fow. Was pretty slow. Ended up catching 6 or 7 crappies and an 18 inch sauger. Fished until 2. The fish were biting very lite.

Alright,this weekend is in the books.I would have liked to type about lots of fish but that just didnt happen for me.Ended up with just a few saugers and 4 or 5 eyes,all the eyes were shorts.Did alot of moving around but as stated,alot of fish sniffing and not committing.Nice weekend to be out there though.

went out sat from 10am to 6pm caught 24 crapies and two small walleyes good day 23 feet of water lots of people out

May I ask what you were using for bait? Minnows, waxies, plastics? I am going down to Prescott tomorrow morning with my son and would like to get him some fish. Keepers or not doesn't matter I want to keep him interested. Thanks

i was using small shiners about the size of crappie minnows and sweedish pimpals silver the small ones and blue glow jigs, start out in 20 feet then out to 25 good luck let me no how you and your kids do..

Prescott may not be your best bet. I was out twice on Saturday and Sunday morning. I lost 2 fish on Saturday morning and caught a mudpuppy on Sunday. Everybody I talked to was having about the same luck lately in Prescott.

Thanks, we were up by Bayport yesturday. A lot of lookers but no takers. I tried diff jigs, baits, sizes, and colors with no luck.

Thanks for the info we will give it a try.

I went out this afternoon. I had a lot of lookers as well, right of the bottom. 15,000 lure changes later I finally figured out what they where!

stcroixchannel.jpg

grin.gif

I was out on the St Croix from 9:30am to about 3:30 pm on Sunday. Caught two nice eater walleyes (15" & 17") within the first 10 minutes of fishing. Then the fishing slowed. Ended up with only one more walleye, a very large white bass and a 23" channel cat.

Half the fun of fishing the river is trying to guess what kind of fish your fighting. I now know that channel catfish fight a lot like an eel pout. Kind of a rythmic whomp, whomp, whomp then a run. Have any of you eaten channel catfish?? SM

I was fishing crappies for just a couple hours Sat. and Sun. evenings. Ended up keeping 9. All 9 1/2" - 12". This is as good as I've done all year. Wisc. side, way away from the crowds.

I have eaten quite a few of them that I have caught in the winter. I think they are awesome. I wrap them in foil with a little Kraft Zezty Italian salad dressing on them and put them on the grill. Tasty good! I have never kept one in the Summer.

Originally Posted By: airjer
I went out this afternoon. I had a lot of lookers as well, right of the bottom. 15,000 lure changes later I finally figured out what they where!

stcroixchannel.jpg

grin.gif

Last year I also got surprised with a whiskery fellow like you too. I was fishing around 39ft of water and saw a blip on my Marcum around 28 ft. First thing I thought crappie, drop my demon with crappie minnow down there. Once it got down there got the blip to bite it, and then I set the hook. It wasn't no crappie, it felt heavy. My drag on my reel with 2 lbs test screamed for dear life, and 30 mins later, with my Cajun line all twisted and stretched out comes a 20 lb catfish. I still have the picture somewhere I will try to find it. Good catch Air. Dont you love the Croix never know what you are going to get. \:D

I do love that on the Croix you catch just about anything. Even if if the crappies aren't biting good I always ending up catching something. I went out today from 8 am to 4pm. Only caught 3 crappies but caught a 28 inch catfish, a sturgeon, a 14 inch sauger and a really small walleye. Moved around a lot, fished anywhere from 19 fow to 35 fow. There are some snow drifts out there that are getting pretty big and its kinda hard to tell how deep they are. I drove right into a big one this morning. Got stuck even with 4 wheel drive and had to have my uncle come pull me out.

has anyone been crazy enough lately to go out to the croix in the frigid temps around or near the bayport area and had any luck?

The colder the better! Only the real fishin people are out an about grin.gif

I also like the st. croix for the "you never know whats on the other end" factor.

I was out most of the day yesterday. Marked a lot of fish in 36 fow but didn't catch much. Moved in late evening for walleyes and caught one short. Tomorrow I will be out all day from sunrise to sunset!