Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bowfin

Benefits/Drawbacks of Two Dogs?

25 posts in this topic

My Lab is 8 years old but still going strong. My wife is bugging me to get a second Lab pup. I guess I know some obvious drawbacks - twice the vet bills, twice the food, twice the hair in the house, and it will take my son twice the amount of time to pick up the yard (poor guy). I always had the idea that if you got a pup while still having an older dog the pup wouldn't bond as much to the owner but would bond instead to the other dog. Is this true? Also it seems like it would be a distraction training a new pup with another dog around - although, I have heard that the pup would learn from the older dog making training easier. Is this actually true?

Hoping to hear some thoughts of any other positives or negatives of getting a second dog.

While I haven't had 2 dogs myself I can see one benefit being that one dog is entering it's prime while the other is leaving it's prime.

I am in that exact situation, an older (13) Golden Retriever & a soon to be 3 yr. old Lab. They definately bonded, but they both know that I am the master. My Golden did in fact help with the field training in that she went out to fetch some downed ducks and my Lab followed her (he was 6 months old then), and it seemed to spark the light, he was soon a retrieving machine. The inprovement in the last year has been unbelievable, he even amazed me last fall on the pheasants. It is definately an added expense, but I believe that both dogs and master are better for the relationship. She also taught him to be quiet when I'm sleeping, I work most nights, so that was important!

My 10 year old Brit suddenly seemed 2-3 years younger when I brought home the new Brit puppy last September. They screw around together quite often and I think it helps the old guy get some exercice running, wrestling and doing the dog thing. It's been a hassle to keep the food seperate as I have tried to feed the pup Native and was trying to keep the old guy on OF food. The kid kept eating the old man's food. I've given up and both will be on Native 2 in a day or so.

I didn't get out hunting enough and the kid wasn't old enough to be able to say that there's any cross-training.

I guess my reaction to you post is that if the wife is urging it go for it. How many other guys have the opposite problem?

There are no drawbacks. You are already buying food, cleaning the house etc... The older dog will actually teach the younger dogs a lot of things. That can be good and bad aka bad habbits.Serieusly I have nothing but good things to say about 2 dogs. I currently have 2 golden retrievers. I had 1 for the first 4 yrs of my dogs life. Then decided to get a second. Now I wonder how we ever got by with only 1. They love to hang out together, play etc... When I let them out the first one always waits for the second and vice versa. Now my wife and I also have a dog of our own to pet with instead of her or me with 1. I say go for it. If you feel you can love them both and they will be part of the family than no reason to look back!

If you have the room two dogs are great way to go. Older dog helps starts the new one. One is run down you got a spare and when the old dog passes it is easier to deal with because you still have a partner. I also get a lot more birds hunting with two dogs instead of just one. Good Luck.

I was just commenting to my neighbor on saturday that although I would not have the room for 2 dogs, it might be easier than having only 1.

My neighbor has a lab and I have a britt pup and it is hard to get my pup the amount of exercise that she requires every day in the winter. Taking her for a walk just doesn't cut it no matter how far we go. Once in a while we put the 2 dogs together while we B.S. and let them play for a couple of hours. After that my little girl is ready for a nap.

I guess what I am getting at is if I had 2 dogs, they would probably wear each other out on a daily basis and not cause as much trouble in the house.

or double the trouble! grin.gif

Good Luck!

Ken

here are some benefits I like:

- little one is easier to train (learn alot from older dog)

- on really hot/cold days instead of one dog shouldering the load, you can rotate if needed.

- I just caught the bug training and working with dogs that I couldnt wait to do it with another

- they keep each other entertained

Things I dont like:

- twice the amount of p00 to pick up

The wife wants another pup??? Its a no brainer! Go ahead and get the new puppy.

I have two, there both just over a year old and without each other i couldnt tell you how they would behave. Seems like they do a [PoorWordUsage] good job using up all the energy.

The one thing I had problems with when I got my second dog, was time to train. He is not nearly as good as the first one whom I had all by himself. Its hard to get time to work with the new pup and make the old guy stay out of the way... Now I am back down to just one, and trying to make up for some bad habits he's picked up without me properly training him earlier. Its hard to go back!

yeah understandable, its all part of the game.

Originally Posted By: Tom7227

I guess my reaction to you post is that if the wife is urging it go for it. How many other guys have the opposite problem?

That would be me. I have been working on the wife for close to 2 years to get another Britt. I think I am getting close.

i've got two dogs, a 10yr oil and one almost 2. when training you have to train the young one by themselves. some benefits: old dog is suddenly much younger. when hunting and in general young one will learn from older dog. major drawback:if old dog has a lot of bad habits, pup will more than likely pick them up. two is twice the fun.

I've got to agree with most of the points made here. I'm in the same boat as Bowfin - I've got a 7 year old yellow lab (Kota)who's excellent in almost every way (except she's got a hard mouth), and last May we got lab #2 (Dover). When I got Kota as a puppy, I was very impressed with how the older dog I had at that time trained her for me, both in the field and at home. I'm seeing the same thing happen with Kota and Dover. I will probably continue to stagger my dogs in this way going forward.

One advantage that hasn't been brought up is that when it's time to put the older dog down, having dog #2 around seems to ease the pain a little bit. On the disadvantage side, the dogs are so competitive about food that you have to be careful when feeding them or giving them treats. Transporting 2 dogs also takes up all of my SUV's cargo area, so family trips require the use of a utility trailer, creative packing, or both.

The competition in the field can get tricky, too. Last fall I shot a grouse that disappeared around a corner, mortally wounded. Both dogs went tearing after it, and I heard a commotion in the leaves. Kota came back with it, but it was missing it's head after the tug-of-war that it endured. I've seen this a lot over the years, especially with pheasants.

Jaybird,what happens to dog#2 when dog#1 passes away, have you seen where the red fern grows?

2 dogs have worked well in our house for the past 19 years. First hunting dog came 7 months after we were married and next dog came when my daughter (2nd child) was just 3 months old. Hey we were up anyway.

I'm sorry, Dckasten, I don't understand your question about the red fern. Can you clarify?

Originally Posted By: Bowfin
Hoping to hear some thoughts of any other positives or negatives of getting a second dog.

Benefits: Twice the good stuff

Drawbacks: Twice the not so good stuff

I have two dogs and IMO the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks.

I have had two dogs in the past and it was great. They sure do entertain each other. We just picked up a yellow lab pup on sunday to go with our other one. They are already keeping each other busy.

On a side not Matt, I heard through the Waskish grapevine that you are changing your name from Hruby to Hubby! Congratulations!!!

Good Luck!

Ken

Thanks Ken. What you heard was true. Its too bad we have been so busy this winter, we havent been up to Red much. One more trip in March is all we have planned. Hopefully we can catch up with you guys sometime.

The biggest benefit that I see with having two dogs is that if one is hurt you still have the other one to hunt with. I've had several times in the last couple of years where one has cut herself on barb wire, while shes down for a couple of weeks I can still hunt the other one.

Make sure theres plenty of age difference or you could end up with two old dogs. A pup and a three year old turn into a 10 year old and 13 year old in a hurry!!

I'm actually contemplating a third dog. My two labs are currently 12 and 4 years old. When the young one was a pup she was so much fun I said when she hit five I'd be getting another pup - but the logistics of a third dog get tough, especially when traveling.

The one downside to a second dog is that its easy to have the pup overshadow the old dog, the pup is young and cute and you pay more attention to it. Also, I have a hard time leaving one at home, so consequently I hunt them both together, and consequently you don't get to enjoy the work of the older veteran dog that has it figured out, my young lab is more aggresive and gets most of the retrieves.

Have fun with the pup!

My 7 month old is trying to take down the old boy in my house. Its quite entertaining to see the little girl go at him.

I think We just added a couple years to his life by getting him a pal.

She is already learning from him.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• LakeofthewoodsMN
      With ice as thick as 24-30 inches and long range forecast for freezing temps, ice fishing season through March in good shape. Roads have smoothed out from the warmer weather and now freezing again.  Some snow still remains on the lake. A very active bite continues with many good sized walleyes and saugers.  Working every fish with electronics is helpful.  Some walleyes are suspended. The anglers working a jigging line with jigging spoon tipped with minnow head or tail and a dead stick with a plain hook or small ice jig and minnow are doing good.  Key depth  29-33 ft in the morning/ early afternoon and 17-24 before nightfall.  Best colors glow pink/red or chartreuse.    The Rainy River morning and evening bite has been spotty at times. Know the river or use a resort or guide for safety. The river is open from Birchdale to the east. Only some shore ice remains and some reports say anglers have already started pushing boats over the ice.   The snowmobile trail is staked from Wheeler's Point to Baudette on the river.  Do not deviate from trail unless you are familiar with ice conditions.   Up at the NW Angle, ice conditions are still favorable with 20-24 inches of solid ice in non-current areas. Snow cover is minimal on snowmobile trails but are still being groomed and in good condition. On the Minnesota side,  walleyes are being caught  on shallower rock points between 20-24 feet as well as deeper mud between 28-30 feet. A good number of saugers and perch are also being produced. Black and gold have been performing very well using a variety of baits.  In Ontario the crappie bite has been hot and cold as of last week. Walleyes are are most active on rock humps with successful colors being, blue and white, pink and gold. Remember to move on to another species after you have your limit of crappies as these fish have a high mortality rate over 25' of water. Work through resorts and stay on ice road. Fish houses can stay on ice through March, walleyes/saugers through April 14th.  Pike and crappies open all year for LOW MN.  
    • Rick
      The third annual Northland Fat Bike Rally will once again hit the trails of Lake Bemidji State Park on Saturday, March 4, 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.  There will be both a 10K and 28K route. Registration begins at 9:30 a.m., followed by a required rules meeting at 10:15 a.m. and a mass start at 11 a.m. on Lake Bemidji. Bikers will head into Lake Bemidji State Park, where the course loops through Rocky Point, Balsam and Fish Hawk trails and the Old Logging Trail.  A kids rally, with a short but exciting route through the park, will start at approximately 2 p.m., after the main ride is concluded. The event is not just for experienced fat bikers. Anyone with 3.8 inch tires and a helmet can ride the course. Nonracers are welcome, and there will be other activities happening throughout the day in the park. Local vendors will have a limited supply of bike parts, tools, accessories and equipment available for sale. Food and refreshments will be available throughout the day in the visitor center. The course will be closed until the official start time. After the event, the course will be open to biking until 4 p.m. There will be a group ride offered at 10 a.m., Sunday, March 5. This is the only weekend during the winter that the park trails will be open for fat bike riding. The rally is free for participants and spectators with a Minnesota State Parks permit. Permits ($5/one-day or $25/year-round) are required for vehicles to enter the park. The Northland Fat Bike Rally is made possible with support from Lake Bemidji State Park, Karvakko Engineering, Bemidji Brewing, Bemidji Super 8 Hotel and the Bemidji Area Mountain Bikers. For more information about the rally, contact the park at 218-308-2300. For more information about fat bike opportunities at Minnesota state parks and trails, visit the Fat Bike page. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will need to close many roads and trails temporarily in state forests, state parks, recreation areas and wildlife management areas due to wet conditions.  Some roads and trails have already been closed. Conditions are deteriorating rapidly, and many roads and trails are not firm enough to support vehicle traffic without being damaged. The temporary closures could remain in effect until sometime in May, depending on weather conditions. “These are normal spring closures that happen when roads and trails become wet and fragile,” said Dave Schuller, state land programs supervisor for the DNR’s Forestry Division. “We ask that people use good judgment, obey the closures and check the DNR website for updates.” Road and trail conditions can change quickly. The DNR advises people to check individual state park, state trail or state forest webpages before planning trips to avoid being surprised and disappointed by temporary closures. Road and trail users should pay particular attention to state forest closures. Generally, all roads and trails in a particular forest will be closed, but not always. Those that can handle motor vehicle traffic will remain open but may be restricted by gross vehicle weight. Signs will be posted at entry points and parking lots. Schuller noted that commercial loggers can continue to haul timber in the northern part of the state, which is not under Minnesota Department of Transportation spring load restrictions at this time. “In unrestricted parts of Minnesota we have asked loggers to voluntarily not haul during the warm parts of the day to protect forest roads,” he said, “and their compliance allows us to keep roads open longer.” Online road and trail closure information is updated Thursdays by 2 p.m. Changes are added as soon as possible to the DNR website. Signs may be in place before the website is updated. All signs must be obeyed. Road and trail closure information is also available by contacting the DNR Information Center at info.dnr@state.mn.us or 888-646-6367, 651-296-6157, (8 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday). For information on roads and trails on county land, contact the county directly. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Women can learn the fast-growing pursuit of bowfishing through classes taught by the Land of Lakes Bowfishing Association, as part of the Becoming an Outdoors Woman program with the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources.  “Bowfishing is a sport that is fast, fun and easy for all to enjoy,” said Patrick Kirschbaum, a bowfishing association member. “It’s a great way to improve your archery skills.” Bowfishing involves seeing, shooting and retrieving fish using specialized archery equipment. People bowfishing in Minnesota can target fish like common carp, buffalo, redhorse, sucker and other species that aren’t considered game fish in Minnesota. The first informational session is 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, March 11, at Archery Country in Rogers. The class is free to attend but registration is required and attendance is limited to 30. After taking the first class, women can choose between one of two bowfishing trips: either Saturday, May 6, in the Mankato area; or Saturday, June 3, in the Alexandria area. The trip costs $50 to attend. To register for a class contact Linda Bylander, DNR outreach program coordinator, at linda.bylander@state.mn.us or 218-203-4347. The Becoming an Outdoors Woman program offers a wide range of outdoor skill classes in fishing, hunting and outdoor sports and more information is available on the BOW page. Printed copies of the annual events catalog are also available by calling the DNR Information Center at 888-646-6367 or 651-296-6157. The regular bowfishing season opens statewide on Saturday, April 29. Bowfishing opens Monday, Feb. 27, only from boats on lakes south of Highway 210 and on the Minnesota, Mississippi and St. Croix rivers. Bowfishing regulations can be found in the Minnesota Fishing Regulations booklet and in the online version on the Fish Minnesota page. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.
    • Rick
      Population statistically unchanged from last year’s estimate Minnesota’s moose population shows signs of stability when comparing this year’s population estimate of 3,710 northeastern Minnesota moose with estimates since 2012, according to the Department of Natural Resources. “At this point, results do not indicate that moose are recovering in northeastern Minnesota,” said Glenn DelGiudice, DNR moose project leader. “While it is encouraging to see that the decline in the population since 2012 has not been as steep, the apparent stability does not allow us to forecast the direction of the population’s trajectory into the future.”  The 2017 aerial moose survey estimate of 3,710 moose in the northeastern part of the state is statistically unchanged from last year’s estimate of 4,020. There is inherent uncertainty associated with survey estimates, because researchers will never see and count all of the animals being surveyed across the vast landscape. Statistically, the DNR is 90 percent certain that the population estimate is between 3,010 and 4,710 moose. Research by the DNR continues to examine the complex potential causes of a moose population decline that started about a decade ago. The research also suggests the recent signs of stability could have resulted from higher calf survival. Much remains unknown. What is known: Factors including infections, parasites and other health issues are killing moose and predisposing them to being preyed on by wolves. The DNR releases an annual moose population estimate each year that can help indicate population trends but cannot predict future population levels. Each year the population estimate is compared to 2006, because the state’s highest moose population estimate of 8,840 occurred that year. Currently, northeastern Minnesota’s moose population is estimated to be 58 percent lower than in 2006. Studies have shown that adult moose survival has the greatest long-term impact on changes in the size of moose populations. The DNR’s moose mortality research project shows that survival of adult moose has remained between 85 and 88 percent from 2014 to 2016, a bit higher than the average of 81 percent during 2002 to 2008, and 81 percent in 2013. Wolves do prey on healthy adult moose and calves, although research data have indicated modestly higher calf survival in the past couple of years compared to 2013, which may be contributing to the population’s recent apparent stability. Annual aerial moose surveys have been conducted each year since 1960 in the northeast. Adjustments were made in 2005 to make the survey more accurate and annual results more comparable. This year’s survey involved flying 52 survey plots (13 square miles each) distributed across northeastern Minnesota from Jan. 5 to Jan. 14. The Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa and 1854 Treaty Authority contributed funding and provided personnel for the annual moose survey. Find more information on the moose mortality research page. Discuss below - to view set the hook here.