Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
maddowg1192000

Upper South Long Crappies

3 posts in this topic

So has anyone been out on USL lately? Last time I was out there we did ok with lots of little one. Another question, Do you think there should be a closed season on crappies and if so when? I think late march to early may would be a good idea but thats just me.

Its not needed Maddog. If you think of whats the go to fish during March-May its the Crappie. Yeah people hit them hard, but they tend to leave them alone (because they can't find them) most the rest of the year. There are some dandy sized slabs left on lots of local lakes if you try new, non community spots.

I'm all for tighter size restrictions though, Lida Lake out west has a great size structure since they went to a 11" and up rule.

I also think spots like Lake Alexander are very vulnerable during spawn/prespawn since all the fillet knife wielding locals tend to hit it pretty hard and there are only a limited number of "hot" bays.

I don't think we will ever see a closed season on panfish. I would be happy with a catch and release season for a few select weeks each year to protect them a little, but I doubt it will ever be closed.

A better solution might be a bigger push by sportsman and the MN DNR to practice selective harvest.

As far as South Long, there are nice crappies in both Upper and Lower, but if you fish a community spot after the first month or so of the ice season, they are hard to come by. Great lake to take the kids though. Always something biting.