Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StrangeBrew

Chub Lake

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to bring the kids over to Chub Lake Sunday or Monday since school is out. Has anyone had any luck with any species of fish.

Are you able to drive the entire lake with a truck?

Thank you

If you will be going to Chub during the day, bring a couple of tip-ups and small sucker minnows along with some crappie minnows. Find an area where you can angle in some deeper water (15-20 feet), and still set up your tip-ups in 7-12 feet not too far away. The kids will definately catch some perch, and maybe get to chase a couple of flags also. I just did this with my 7 year old last week and we had a blast. Also, if you stay until after 4pm or so the crappies should start hitting. The lake is fine for driving, just watch for where people have been moving their houses. You can also bring some really small jigs and waxies if you want the kids to have more perch action.

SB,

This weekend is the annual Carlton Snowfest activities on chub. On saturday they have a golf on ice tournament, and on sunday there is a fishing contest. Signup is from 10-noon, and the contest is from noon to 3. $5 for adults and $2 for kids. They also have the B&B market BBQ wagon out there so there are great eats to be had!! There is a prize raffle that goes on during the contest also (need to buy seperate tickets for it).

They have predrilled holes or you can drill your own. They used to have a roped off area that you had to stay inside, but last year they just said that you had to be within earshot of the loudspeaker, which let folks spread out a bit.

I'll be out there with my 5 year old somewhere, probably spending more time running between the BBQ wagon and tent than fishing grin.gif

Not too hard to find fish on chub. Theres so many people on that lake on the weekends you will be able to see where everyone else is fishing. Try deeper if you want perch or crappies or go around 6-10 feet if you want northerns.

Xplorer

Thanks for the reminder regarding the events on Chub this weekend. I try to bring them to the contest on Sunday.

The fishing contest is always fun. Two years ago my daughter lost a big northern right at the hole with 45mins left in the tourney. This fish would have won her the $500 first prize. When I pulled the line out of the water, I realized that the knot had come untied, which meant that it was my fault that she lost the fish.Being the responsible parent that I am, I explained what had happened to my daughter and she said that since it was my fault, that I could just put $500 in her bank account! This girl has spent too much time around her mother.

Originally Posted By: Wishin I was fishin
Being the responsible parent that I am, I explained what had happened to my daughter and she said that since it was my fault, that I could just put $500 in her bank account! This girl has spent too much time around her mother.

Priceless! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

SB,

I'll have a green Otter house next to a green toyota tundra, most likely somewhere on the outside edge of the crowd. Plan on getting out there a little after 11. Weather looks decent, a bit of wind, should be a good time!! If you see us stop by and say Hi.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• ANYFISH2
      7/19 Day 5   Day 5 was spent celebrating my Isaacs 11th birthday!  Lots of cake and catering to him.  The exciting typical swimmimg and paddling ruled the day.  Grandma and grandpa DeZurik came up to celebrate his birthday as well.  Always nice to get both sets of grandparents together at the same time.   Fishing continued slow even more.  Still a successful night though. The birthday boy conceded his seat in the boat so grandma and grandpa cpuld join me for the evening fish trip.  My folks in all truth haven't been fishing for 2 years or more.  It was just nice to get them in the boat.   I struggled as the acting to put them on a consistent bite.  Mom as able to scratch out the biggest walleye at 17".  Dad brought home the honors of most fish caught landing a 14" and 15" walleye, 8.5" bluegill, and 2 perch as big aa his leech! I mustered up 1 small pumpkinseed.
    • ANYFISH2
      no doubt aboit the hooks, they are lottle stickers.
    • DLD24
      I like drifting with them and snap jigging them with a controlled fall...Almost every time you'll feel that tick just as it's hitting bottom... Last time I was on mille lacs that's all I could get them to go on. As far as colors I'd just match the forage Tullies in the lake use blue,purples,silvers....Perch use perch colors.. I think the jiggin rap is my new favorite way to fish, but it gets scary with them little hooks when you got a big eye on lol.
    • DLD24
      Fished Big Sandy from 8-2 today and got 10 eyes (no keepers) keeper crappie and perch.... Marked tons of fish, but it was tough to get them to go, Lindy rig with a half crawler was the best by far. I tried leeches,jigging rap, jig n plastic. Points and reefs were the spots, later in the day a lot of fish were off the edges of the reefs... Just one day this year I'd like a happy medium weather wise, either I'm in 4ft rollers or 90 degrees with zero wind haha.
    • Garmandu
      According to Al Linder you can do it all with them...on his video that I watched a while back he was in deeper water throwing into 15 feet and working it back to the boat.  I have not tried it yet but will have to sometime this year.  Sand or gravel bottom would be the best.
    • ANYFISH2
      Just started playing with these this week as a friend has been have goos luck all summer with them on the Cass lake chain. I have not any success yet but not real sure on the best way to use them with my set this week.  My friend searches pods of fish out with electronics then spot locks and vertical jigs. I have no electronics or spot lock so I have been control drifting and jigging.   My questions...   Is there a depth they work better in, shallow vs. deeper?   Better vertically jigged vs trolled vs casted and jigged?   prime colors? of course my be lake dependent.   typically, aggressive jigging vs subtle jigging?   Thanks for tips
    • Perchy
      Yes, insured. I will ask the adjuster, thanks.
    • Captain Acorn
      Thanks cliff and lb I have actually had better luck with the puppet minnows from northland but I have mainly jigged them vertically definently is a fun way to fish 
    • LBerquist
      I've been trolling at about .5mph while using a jigging rap. This way one guy can still drag a lindy. I keep the front hook intact but my boat has contributed about half a dozen to the lake so far this summer. Im still working on getting the hang of it. If I know I'm in a rough area I will attempt to keep the jig from hitting bottom which still seems to be effective. I did pick up a couple off brands that don't have a front hook that I want to try. This is just what I have been toying around with, I'm definitely not an expert at it.
    • fisherjmb
      Hi Everyone, a couple of questions, I know there is free public boat ramp in Stillwater just above the lift bridge. Is there another public boat ramp further down river? I thought I read somewhere that Beanies is or was becoming a free public boat launch. Is that the case? Also, I am thinking of heading there on Monday to try my luck. Any tactics/depths/areas that have been producing for anyone?