Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StrangeBrew

Chub Lake

8 posts in this topic

I am looking to bring the kids over to Chub Lake Sunday or Monday since school is out. Has anyone had any luck with any species of fish.

Are you able to drive the entire lake with a truck?

Thank you

If you will be going to Chub during the day, bring a couple of tip-ups and small sucker minnows along with some crappie minnows. Find an area where you can angle in some deeper water (15-20 feet), and still set up your tip-ups in 7-12 feet not too far away. The kids will definately catch some perch, and maybe get to chase a couple of flags also. I just did this with my 7 year old last week and we had a blast. Also, if you stay until after 4pm or so the crappies should start hitting. The lake is fine for driving, just watch for where people have been moving their houses. You can also bring some really small jigs and waxies if you want the kids to have more perch action.

SB,

This weekend is the annual Carlton Snowfest activities on chub. On saturday they have a golf on ice tournament, and on sunday there is a fishing contest. Signup is from 10-noon, and the contest is from noon to 3. $5 for adults and $2 for kids. They also have the B&B market BBQ wagon out there so there are great eats to be had!! There is a prize raffle that goes on during the contest also (need to buy seperate tickets for it).

They have predrilled holes or you can drill your own. They used to have a roped off area that you had to stay inside, but last year they just said that you had to be within earshot of the loudspeaker, which let folks spread out a bit.

I'll be out there with my 5 year old somewhere, probably spending more time running between the BBQ wagon and tent than fishing grin.gif

Not too hard to find fish on chub. Theres so many people on that lake on the weekends you will be able to see where everyone else is fishing. Try deeper if you want perch or crappies or go around 6-10 feet if you want northerns.

Xplorer

Thanks for the reminder regarding the events on Chub this weekend. I try to bring them to the contest on Sunday.

The fishing contest is always fun. Two years ago my daughter lost a big northern right at the hole with 45mins left in the tourney. This fish would have won her the $500 first prize. When I pulled the line out of the water, I realized that the knot had come untied, which meant that it was my fault that she lost the fish.Being the responsible parent that I am, I explained what had happened to my daughter and she said that since it was my fault, that I could just put $500 in her bank account! This girl has spent too much time around her mother.

Originally Posted By: Wishin I was fishin
Being the responsible parent that I am, I explained what had happened to my daughter and she said that since it was my fault, that I could just put $500 in her bank account! This girl has spent too much time around her mother.

Priceless! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

SB,

I'll have a green Otter house next to a green toyota tundra, most likely somewhere on the outside edge of the crowd. Plan on getting out there a little after 11. Weather looks decent, a bit of wind, should be a good time!! If you see us stop by and say Hi.