• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much cap room do the Vikings have?

maros91

i would agree that cb is not our biggest hole to fill....they do have decent cb's......the biggest hole to fill is easily the DE/pass rusher....if they get a guy that can cause havoc on the outside that will also open up the middle for the line backers and the williams boys. You build through the draft but the first round pick isn't where the main building takes place it is in the 3rd through 7th rounds that the team gets better. Just look at the Vikes and there drafts the last 2 years. They have added quality players to the roster in the later rounds that helped contribute to the team.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• james_walleye

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

i agree too cb isn't our biggest hole to fill...i never said it was....i just know that a true shutdown corner helps any team...a true #1 corner is tough to find...if u have a chance to get one you take it.

just the same if you have a chance at a dominate DE you take it.

the only way to get big name proven players is by trade...you can gamble through the draft all you want...sometimes it pays off sometimes it don't.

i see plenty of teams trade every season for the better...i suppose it was dumb for new england to trade for moss and welker last year? i'm sure they could of done much better keeping their picks for the draft? afterall moss was washed up lol

thats all i hear on nfl network and espn is how good these teams are doing signing free agents and doing trades.

the thing is with the trades i'm talking about your still staying young and your getting top flight players...so even though your trading your still building your future at the same time...except with no gamble and they are proven...you know what your getting.

Boy to our vaunted Vikings bring out some debates!!!!

Would it be cool if the Vikes traded a couple of picks for a top flight CB???? Sure it would, but there is more to it than just that. Proven, open market Free agents command more $$$ than middle of the first round draft picks do. So, if we trade for Allen, we are now committing more $$$ and cap space than we will if we just draft somebody at 17 overall or whatever picks they might give up. As far as Hall, the Vikings aren't going to trade for somebody that has character issues like Hall's.

It is hard to argue the fact that DE is a glaring need and yes we need one, if not 2 badly, but just because it hasn't worked out in the past in the draft for DE's, doesn't mean it never will. It is frustrating to see how many picks we "flop" on, but I'm sure the % for picks really living up to their draft spot isn't all that high anyway. Maybe with #17 we end up with the next Shawn Merriman, maybe not. It is a [PoorWordUsage] shoot. I don't see the Vikes making a blockbuster deal for a corner.

What we have at corner is serviceable and in our scheme a Shutdown corner doesn't improve us near as much as a pass rushing DE. I hope we get both, but we'll see.

You have to be able to build through the draft and FA together.

Jared Allen is a DE not a CB...

JWalleye. I think you hit the nail on the head with your first two sentences. Keep draft picks and build for the long haul and just fill in with free agency.

As far as cornerbacks go there are a ton of them in this years draft that have lock down ability. Also our defenses isn't really set up for lockdown corners is it? Don't we run a zone scheme?

lol how is trading for a 25 yr old stud not building for the long haul?

and so your telling me you'd rather have a guy that is half the football player just cause he costs less?

i suppose we could draft a couple more handfuls of DE's hoping and praying one turns out half as good as a premier player.

instead of paying 2-1st round pics 1st round money you'd only have to pay 1 player and he's a guarentee.

some of you guys should apply for jobs with the twins and twolves...no need to spend money when we can get mediocre guys for half the cost....we already wasted moss's, santana's, kg's talent why not waste AP's!!

Nobody is a guarantee. Allen already has two strikes. One more and he's out for a year. I guess I'd rather have the two first round picks.

i'd rather trade for him then you wouldn't have to give up two first round picks.

i wouldn't mind keeping our picks if we traded up to get long or gholston...that wouldn't be a bad move since we have alot of picks this year.

looks like we are looking at kearse...childress is watching his film and nosing around to find out some answers about some things.

Right - Jared Allen is a mistake from a year long vacation...a bit of a risk...for a 'guarantee'

yeah moss was a risk too...so was AP....the best 2 players we've seen were risks.

you guys can quote my "guarantee" all you want....by guarantee i mean you know what your getting...his skills are a guarantee.

if you want to fall for the anaylists hype about how good these combine players are and all the depth at certain positions i feel for you.

the more hype surrounding a guy the more chance he is to be a bust...you take the top 5 guys in each position and most of them don't amount to anything....if they do it's 4 yrs down the road... alot of the best players in the nfl come in the late rounds.

when you get guys like kg,santana,moss,AP, ect, you want to build around them as fast as you can...a RB's prime in the nfl doesn't last long. half the guys on our squad won't even be around in a few yrs.

MN teams are cheapskates and waste some of the best talent...take the blindfold off if you don't see it.

Guru, if what your saying is true than why does no one trade their 1st round picks? You don't see people trading 1st round picks all over the place unless its moving up or down in the draft itself. Yeah people take flyers on people by trading away 4th round picks, but not 1st rounders. Its not just the vikings. How many teams out there need a CB WAY more than the vikings, and yet none of those teams have jumped to get Hall?? If there was no need at DE for the vikings it might be something to consider. But you absolutely do not trade your 1st round pick away for a headcase like Hall when your biggest need is DE. Its that simple and its the reason the vikings havent and will not do it. Teams build through the draft and that is not debatable. The vikings have built through the draft and are now supplementing via FA. If they land Justin Smith, i'd be all over trading for Hall, but not without a DE 1st! You find it odd that no one else on here has called for a trade for Hall?? Its not called being cheapskates. I've been all for the vikings spending $$. I was all for getting Berrian in here.

hall was just an option...if we can trade and get a premier CB or DE i say do it....if we can't get a DE but can get a CB then do it...if we can't get a CB but can get a DE then do it.

the nfl wants to make love to their 1st round picks thats why not many trade them away..but teams still do...you must not keep up with trades.

the reason no one has jumped all over hall is because the longer you wait the less you'll have to give up...it's the name of the game....don't think for a minute teams all over the place haven't contacted these teams and players discussing trades behind closed doors...thats how trades are dealt with...you don't know about a trade until its pretty much a done deal.

there's no secret about building through the draft..how else can you build? doesn't mean you can't trade for young proven studs and build at the same time.

can you tell me how many teams wish they would of picked someone else with their 1st pick? can you tell me how many teams would trade that former 1st round pick for a premier player in the league? there's teams that would trade a handful of their former 1st round picks for 1 premier player in the league.

i'm not arguing that we need a DE at all...everyone knows we do...i'd love if the vikes got allen or taylor....but if you can't get a good DE and there is a premier CB out there you could get the CB and still get a de in the draft...or visa virsa...not like the only good DE in the draft will be around in the first round...i'll bet there will be DE's in this draft that turn out way better then some of the DE's that will go in the 1st..without a doubt.

Twins got Santana because a team gave up on him i beleive...

A RB prime can be 10 years...

Smart analysts say the combine means diddly squat...its just a big media ride...

Ok in the last 5 years name some trades that teams have made, sending their 1st round pick to another team for a player already in the NFL. Of course some teams do it, i'm not saying it never happens. But if it was such a good thing to do you would see half the teams in the NFL doing it every year.

The NFL doesnt make the decision on who makes trades so i'm not sure what the statement about making love to 1st round picks means. Again if it were such a great deal, teams would do it often. If teams could win by doing this, they would be doing it.

the reason not many teams do it is because if you wait long enough and no one bites on the 1st round trade you get him for a 2nd...there's endless trades for 2nd round pics...but there really isn't a difference between an early 2nd and a late 1st.

teams like to keep there 1st so they can use it to move up or fall for the hype of players or depth at certain positions.

what i meant by the nfl likes to make love to their 1st round picks is they hold onto them like they are gold..they think that 1st round pick is the answer and they are gonna be the team to get the best guy in the draft....even though most 1st round picks are busts.

it's the thought that their 1st round pick is gonna be the next superstar everyone wants but they got them...they found them...they made the right pick.

like i said how many teams wish they would of picked a different guy....how many teams would trade that former first rounder for a premier player in the league...tons of teams...every single year.

you hope and pray that 1st round pick is an allen,taylor,hall, ect....so why not just cut to the chase and use it to get that guy? especially when it's a young player?

not many teams are willing to trade guys that would demand a 1st round pick thats why you don't see many 1st round picks being traded also....how many teams would give up a 1st right now for manning,palmer,peterson,tomlinson, ect?

an example would be the packers trade their 1st round pick for some guy named brett favre....the falcons laugh cause they got a 1st round pick "the gold mine in the nfl" and they use it to draft tony smith who rushed for a whopping 329 yards in his career.

teams laughed at the packers for trading a 1st round pick...you know...they could of used it for a guy like tony smith or something.

every year there is a hand full of players at best out of 32 players in the 1st round that even have a decent career.

You are proving my point! Teams even with big CB needs don't want to trade their 1st round pick because it is that valuable that they will sit back and hope to get him on the cheap! They would rather risk not getting him and wait it out than just trade away the 1st round pick. So why would the vikings who don't need CB's half that bad trade their #17 pick for him? Like i said, if it was such a good deal for teams you'd be seeing it happen. Teams do what it takes to win, if trading your 1st round pick was the way to go they surely would be doing it more.

lol james...you don't keep up very well.

who even said it costs a 1st round pick for hall?

when you came back into this conversation we weren't even talking about hall.

the only point your trying to prove is never trade your 1st round pick...1st round picks aren't as valuable as you think.

if teams were willing to trade players worth a 1st round pick it would happen all the time.

how come if 1st round picks are so valuable you don't answer my question about how many teams wish they would of picked a different player?....or how many teams would trade their former 1st round pick for a premier player in the league? or how many 1st round picks end up being a superstar compared to being busts?

Go reread my posts. I have said the vikings should not trade their #1 pick for a CB when they need a DE. I have said that NFL teams dont trade 1st round picks, its that simple. If you believe its the other way around, fine. Hindsight is always 20/20, of course there are teams that would like to back and pick a different player. Of course teams with busts would like to go back in time and just trade that 1st round pick for a premier player. Teams with a decent CB core that have the #17 pick dont trade for a CB that isnt a real big need when they could get the next Michael Strahan. If your trying to sell me on trading the #17 pick for Jared Allen i say go for it. The problem is that it will take this years and next years #1 pick. Even then if you argued that i might say go for it because as i've stated before in other posts the vikings are in a position to make a run and trading the #17 pick for someone who can make an impact, you might do it. But for the right player and the right position. A stud defensive end for a #1 pick gives the vikings a much bigger boost than a stud defensive back of the same caliber.

just like if you reread my posts i agree CB isn't our biggest need...but if you can't get a great DE but you can get a great CB i'd like to see it...but nothing was ever said about hall costing a 1st round pick....no one knows what it would cost.

it doesn't cost two 1st round picks for allen if we make a trade for him....thats only if we sign him as a free agent and KC don't match the offer...then we'd have to give them 2- 1st rounders...but they can trade allen for whatever they want...like green bay traded their franchise tagged player for a 2nd this year.

i'd much rather see a true stud DE come in then a stud CB myself....when i mentioned hall i was just throwing it out there...i'd love to see a true #1 cb on our D.

last yr when KC was gonna trade allen they wanted a 1st...but now that he's franchised and leaving next year we could possibly get him for cheaper since he's gonna leave anyway...but i'd trade that 1st for him anyday personally.

just like i'd like to see jason taylor come our way...i'm sure he'd come cheaper then allen...i'm down with any stud DE.

i was just saying if we can't get a stud DE but could get a stud CB i'd like it...anytime you can add a stud to your team it's a good thing....if the other teams know hall is demanding a trade and there hasn't been many offers someone could swoop in and get a decent deal for him.

But you also have to realize trading for Jared Allen doesn't guarantee you will get him for the long term...If you could get him for next years first rounder, i think that would be much better...

He is going to be extremely expensive, albeit cheaper if you traded for him and negotiated the contract before FA.

Ok I have a question that actually relates to the subject! How much cap room do the Vikes still have, do we need to spend more, do we not have much left to spend? Anyone know the #'s?

OK i agree it would be nice to have a stud corner. But to get the stud corner at the caliber you want you know it will take a 1st rounder minimum. You don't get a lock down corner for a 2nd round pick. If you say teams won't trade proven players for #1 picks well they sure as heck arent trading a lockdown corner for a 2nd rounder. The vikings didnt land a difference maker DE yet in FA. Until they do somehow, i dont think you can entertain trading that pick for anything other than a DE.

tisosy...i hear ya on that one....the coolest thing that could happen in a deal like that is KC,allen, and the vikes agree on everything...we work together on what we'll pay him and what he wants...they sign him for that then we make the trade and take the contract....thats what green bay did for cleveland.

james...if a guy demands a trade the team won't get nearly what they should for him...because other teams know the falcons are in a bad situation with that player.

now if we wanted him bad and they didn't want to give him up but we got him off them it would be a 1st forsure....things get different with disgruntled players and franchises in rebuilding stage.

now you could say hall is a bad apple cause he spoke out against the team but they lose their franchise qb, they don't resign the only couple good players they have, and their coach up and quits on them....i wouldn't be happy either.

Also, In regards to Berrian's high price tag...He is not guaranteed anything after the 16mill...if he is a flop or injures his leg in year 3...hes roughly a 16 mill bust and not a 42 mill bust.

The giants have reportedly offered the 31st pick in the draft for Hall. Even unhappy stud corners are worth a 1st rounder.

what? i thought teams don't trade 1st round picks lol

i remember hearing the giants doing that but that was before they made some moves...maybe if the giants backed out on the deal or don't need him anymore a team like us could sneak in for a 2nd....at the time only the giants and redskins were interested.

I think i would take hall for a 2nd rounder! Antoine nd Hall and all our young guys coming around!