• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

How much cap room do the Vikings have?

maros91

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tisosy11

• james_walleye

• FISHINGURU

• Scott K

Yes and Yes. Google "Ask the Commish" and "2008 NFL Salary Cap Figures." The Vikings have 49 players under contract and about 14.88 million spending available under the salary cap. That puts them in 24th place in the league. Enviably, two playoff teams, the Chargers and Titans, sit first and second respectively, with over 40 million in cap space. If those two teams can deal with a more difficult schedule next year, they have a chance to go further into the playoffs.

Thats what I thought they had. I'm sure they will release some players and get a little more under the cap. Anyone think the Titans are going to sign Randy Moss? Or how about the Chargers? They need a go to wide out that will compliment Chris Chambers. Who are the Vikings potential targets in Free Agency?

I just seen the Falcons released TE Alge Crumpler and QB Byron Leftwich. Any chance the Vikes pick up either of these guys?

Wow Alge got released? That would be a nice pick up for us. Im not too sure about Byron, pretty injury prone. But I would like to see Crumpler in the purple and gold.

that would be awesome to see him come to the viks. brad is still very high on T, and i dont believe that hes that great of a qb, but i do believe that if we would get some wide outs, it would help the situation alot better then where we are sitting at right now. They need to get players around him, were young, and could be good soon, but still need to get people in there that have done it over and over again.

If you guys listen to PA and Dubay KFAN radio show they have good info on Free Agents and draft talk. Since PA has some inside connections with the vikes and does the broatcasts of the games on the radio, I think he has pretty reliable information. Basically he has said that the vikes look to be cutting Dwight Smith, Troy Williamson, and Marcus Johnson (OT,OG). If the vikes can work out a trade with any of those guys they might go that route. But look for the vikes to make a big push for Bernard Berrian the WR from Chicago, cuz he basically is the top quality WR in FA, unless the Bears reach to an agreement with him. There are so many teams with alot of money to spend that most of these players that are pretty good to average will get paid this year cuz of the lack of talent in free agency. Like for Asante Samuel the Corner from New England to get a huge contract like Nate Clemments did last offseason. So the vikes need to pick their battles this offseason and not get caught up in a bunch of bidding wars for overpriced players. Also look for the vikes to go after Justin Smith DE from the Bengals and Madieu Williams FS from the Bengals as well to fill the needs at DE and Safety, since Udeze's tragic news, and Dwight Smith being cut. Then if the vikes are smart they will draft the best overall player at #17 or draft a good DT, cuz the Williams boys are getting older.

I agree that PA has some inside info...Bernard Berrian is his man-crush...Vikes need a big play possesion receiver and I am not sure Berrian qualifies.

It would great to find a stud at DE, but they are difficult to come by. It would be real nice to qork something out with Miami and see what Jason Taylor looks like in purple.

Originally Posted By: Biff Tannen
I just heard last night that the Vikes have $30 million in cap space. The more the merrier.

its around 30. Rob B is a cap genius he does all kinds of crazy stuff. so people think we have 15 mill but we actually have almost 30 to spend if we want

I agree Rob B. is a genius when it comes to managing the cap. What do you guys think the Vikes need most? QB,WR,TE,DE,FS,SS,CB or any other position.

"What do you guys think the Vikes need most? QB,WR,TE,DE,FS,SS,CB or any other position."

Yup!! They need a reciever to catch the ball, you can have the best QB but if noone can catch it wont work!

i'd settle for a quarterback that just doesnt suck instead of the best one. too bad i'd be let down

Biff they need help at WR, DE, and Safety, now that Dwight Smith was cut. Look for Williamson next to be axed, unless there is no hope for us to sign any WR during FA. It will be interesting where we go in the draft! I keep hearing that if Kenny Phillips (I think thats his name) FS out of U of Miami is there we take him, we need help at safety position big time now with Smith cut and Sharper being old. Doss and Tank Williams won't be back here, and I think all they got left is Greg Blue that kid out of Georgia. Like I said look for us to make a push for Bernard Berrian (CHI), Justin Smith (CIN), Andre Davis(HOU), and Madieu Williams (CIN).

Other news Bubba Franks was cut by the Pack.....Marcus Trufant was franchised by the Seahawks, as well as Albert Haynesworth from the Titans and Max Starks from the Steelers. Dallas Clark signed a 6 year deal with the Colts. If the Vikes could pull off a trade to get Jason Taylor and sign Justin Smith....we might have the best D-Line in the NFL! No way Cardinals let Fitzgerald go, so he'll be down there this year, with Boldin but Bryant Johnson the other WR of the 3 tandom in Arizona, is a Free Agent, but sounds like the vikes are more interested in Andre Davis.

Greg Blue played against us this year, hes in Detroit i believe. We sent him packing. If a playoff run is what the vikings hope to achieve this season they need to address the WR position via free agency. They need someone that can step in game 1 and be productive. Berrians speed in the dome would be sweet i think but why wouldnt the bears try and do everything to resign him? Its not like they are stacked with recievers. I don't believe defenses could play the vikings like they did the end of last year with a guy like Berrian lined up. You leave him 1 on 1 and hes going to torch most corners all day long. You would think it would instantly help AP.

Here are some of the Free Agents at the WR position:

Randy Moss NE

Bernard Berrian CHI

Patrick Crayton DAL

Bryant Johnson ARZ

Andre Davis HOU

Devery Henderson NO

Mushin Muhhamed CHI

QB Position:

Derek Anderson-RFA CLE

Duante Culpepper OAK

Rex Grossman CHI

The Vikings may have to trade to get a QB which rarely happens cause NFL teams covet draft picks so much. I wouldn't mind seeing the Vikes sign Berrian or Johnson.

I believe Chilly is to stubborn to go into next season with anyone one at QB but T-Jack. Can you just imagine what the signing of just Bernard Berrian and Jason Taylor could do? Two pretty good talents.

Originally Posted By: james_walleye
Berrians speed in the dome would be sweet i think but why wouldnt the bears try and do everything to resign him? Its not like they are stacked with recievers.

Two Words! LANCE BRIGGS....they are trying to resign him to a long term deal and you think he's gonna come cheap? If they lock up Briggs along with Urlacher they have 2 big cap hits for those 2 players. Plus the Bears have other pressing needs as QB, and Running Back. Plus what teams will shell out for Berrian will be way to much than what the Bears can afford especially if they plan on paying Briggs what he would get on the market! I also agree that Berrian would look great in purple with Wade, Rice and Allison! Plus if we added Andre Davis too from Houston we should be alright!

Jason Taylor and Justin Smith would be awsome tandom to go with Ray Edwards and if Erasmus James is healthy, and if Udeze plays. Also I look for us to sign a safety since Smith was cut, names I heard are Ken Hamlin, Jamori Wilson, and Madieu Williams..

Draft should be interesting to see who falls....honestly if Matt Ryan or Brohm the QB's from Boston College and Louisiville I'd love to see us draft either one incase T-Jack=No-jack this season. But for some reason I see us draft best player available regardless of position, besides RB, and then in later rounds I'd like us to take another WR and offensive lineman.

The vikings receiving group has speed. Berrian is a PA pipe dream. A. the bears don't let him go... B. the vikes need a possession receiver with a big body.

Mushin would be good if he was on the cheap...

Derek Anderson is going no where. Rex, please.

Daunte and Randy have cut ties here...Crayton could be in purple as Randy may take his spot.

The vikes need serious help at the safety position as well as a boost at the wide receiver position.

Bluegill - I dare you to count the drops that Jackson's receivers had this year that were easily catchable balls. Its hard to bag on a young QB that hasn't had any legit receivers.

I agree tisosy. The vikes just need someone to catch the darn ball. I don't know how many times I watched a WR thrown a perfect ball last year only to drop it. I think Jackson is going to be ok. I don't see him going on to become the next great vikings quarterback but I do see him being successful if the vikes can put a few guys around him. I'd like to see Mushin Muhhamed in purple and gold. He is a "bigger" guy who I think can add alot to our offense. Though I also think that Crayton is going to end up our #1. Think about Moss and Owens together in Dallas!!?? OUCH!!!!

Mushin Muhhamed would be a great addition to the Vikes. Since the Bears cut him I'm sure they are planning on signing Berrian.

The Giants sure showed everyone how valuable a couple of good DEs are so if Jason Taylor is available expect a bidding war to start.

yeah - the vikes definately need an upgrade at DE, S, and WR

The other positions could come together and our DBs are on the doorstep of being very solid...especially if 'Toine stays healthy.

The vikings need some speed. Muhammed would fit right in with all the other has beens the vikings normally sign. Berrian has gamebreaking speed and is a real deep threat. The kind of threat that could open things up for Peterson. Put Wade in the slot where he belongs. Sydney Rice is a younger faster version of Muhammed. Rice showed last year he can go up and get the ball. The vikes need someone who can stretch the field and Berrian would fit that bill. But i agree i don't think the bears let him get out of town. Crayton is probably more likely and wouldnt be bad. Hes also a guy who can stretch the defense out.

Originally Posted By: tisosy11

Bluegill - I dare you to count the drops that Jackson's receivers had this year that were easily catchable balls. Its hard to bag on a young QB that hasn't had any legit receivers.

Oh I noticed Tisosy, it made me turn off a few games this fall and go hit the bow stand a little earlier than I wanted because of the terrible recieving core the vikes had this year! Grant it the only positive things I saw was Sidney Rice can be a dependable WR when healthy and Bobby Wade is an overall good player when given the chance to play. Allison didn't look to bad either and has some good returning skills. Everyone rips on T-Jack though (even me) cuz he is the QB, and should be a pro bowl even though he was only in his 2nd year in the league..1st year starting. But the vikes need to add an insurance policy behind Jackson because Holcomb or Bollinger scare the heck out of me!

Also you guys are thinking of Mushin to when he was in his days for Carolina, and he isn't that anymore and to old, and not cost effective for the vikes. The vikes don't have speed, they are a team built to run the ball, what they do need a WR that as JW stated, will stretch the field like Moss did. Williamson was suppose to be that guy but he couldn't catch a ball if his hands had gorrilla glue on them! Make Berrian an offer otherwise sign an Andre Davis or Bryant Johnson...oh and does Jerry Porter ring a bell to any of you?? He's a free agent as well too.

I think Moss stays in New England, or heads down south and joins Mr. Tice and the Jags in sunny Florida where he will get paid more than what the Pats would offer. Moss a Cowboy wow! I honestly do not think there is enough room in the Cowboy's locker room for all 3 egos of TO, MOSS, and ROMO.

Jones wants to make a splash! The playoff losses are going to mess with his sanity...

The vikes do need to find a liable back up, i agree. Competition breeds confidence...T-Jack needs to prove he can stay healthy and show he can carry this team. The receivers need to catch the ball and it will be nice that Rice and Allison will be a year older. Wade, Rice, Allison are all nice guys and none are really slow. Allison could be that deep threat the vikes are looking for because berrian will be stupid money if the bears don't sign him outright...