Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bimbo

Mink and Sommers

14 posts in this topic

i heard something about the dnr making everyone get there houses off the lake for something?

They are aerating the lake. You dont want a house near that is my guess.

what does that do?

Keeps the fish alive, but thins the ice around the pump.

Which lake, or better yet, which side? Mink side, or Somers? Where abouts is that aerator located at specifically?

Rockman,

The aeration system on Mink Lake is on the south portion of the deep hole facing northwest. The system on Somers is on the northeast facing south. The areas will be well signed (as required by law) There is still plenty of safe ice to drive on and fish. The intent is to try and prevent a winterkill scenario. Oxygen readings had been getting low in the deep basin of Mink Lake.

These lakes have had some investment in time and effort from the stand point of regulations and fish monitoring as well as stocking since 1995 when the DNR reclaimed them using rotenone (a fish toxicant). Even thought the fishery has had its ups and downs, I think anyone that fished the lakes in the past could attest to the thousands of carp that used to be there. Now at least there are some respectable sunfish, crappie, perch, walleye, nice bass, and surprising pike, with regulations to keep some of those fish around a little longer.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the heads up,smallie hawgin.This is the first ice season I have fished there in about 5 years.On the last trip I made there before this December, I caught a 4 lb. carp through the ice on Somers.That was quite a suprise.I have sampled the results of the tighter limits on these two lakes already. I look forward to future trips there.I don't want to take a swim through the ice, by either of the two aerators,however.

This past spring there was alot of carp on the mink end up in the shallow water. Thought it was bass until I caught one. A few years before that, the fishing was great. I have noticed since then the fishing seems to be slower. I fish this lake in the summer quite a bit. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this at all.

could that be a good lake to do some bowfishing?

Oh yeah.I would definitely give that a try.Plenty of targets swimming in both lakes.

Could try fishing about 50 yards from aeration systems. Thats what guys in kandiyohi cty. do.

awesome thanks for the info! i'll definatly hit that up this year!

thanks again

That distance would work for me.I just don't want to end up on top of the aerator,and then have to put my Arctic Armor wear to the test after I go in.Fishing by an aerator could be really productive,but safety has to come first.Knowing where the aerators are is the first step.

several guys I know wait to see the open water.