• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Big Walleyes?

Ice Ranger

I've never caught anything over the 22-23 inch range when fishing at URL. How often do people catch bigger ones? I'm talking walleyes over 24".

last winter we caught many over 24 inches.most of them were 26 inches and we had 1 at 27 inches.that was a fluke thing lol we were tring to find the crappies but tha tday we found a nice batch of eyes during the day.then once the sun set wham the crappies came in.it was a good day of fishing.

my buddy just came home from using my house.he did very well with 1 27incher he threw back. so they r out there.cant wait for march tho.

We caught a 27 incher and it had 3 cuts on it,s side. We wondered really how big thoughs nortskis are

Originally Posted By: Ice Ranger
I've never caught anything over the 22-23 inch range when fishing at URL. How often do people catch bigger ones? I'm talking walleyes over 24".

Last year caught a 26in waldo, and in dec caught some 24 in waldos. Most of them were 16 to 20 in thought. How long do you think it will be before we see some 30in waldos in the lake. It would be great if they were as common as the 15in crappies. Doubt that will happen though.

caught a 24 1/2 incher last feb. biggest one i have ever caught on url. but can't count the number of 16-21 inchers.

I have seen several 25-28" walleye this last year from anglers and evena couple clients. I have also watched some big walleye running under the dock in the spring during spawn. They are present.

If I had to guess I would bet the next BIG walleye to show up is going to come from a pike angler working the reeds. Lots of bigguns in those reeds.

i'm sure there are quite a few big walleyes in the lake but they just aren't as common as your average eye....with the fishing regs and the slot up there you'd have to imagine there's gonna be some big walleyes in that lake in the future.

look at all the eyes you catch just a tad bit over keeper size all the way up to 21-22 inches on an average...thats pretty much the most common size up there.

pretty soon them 21-22's are gonna be 24-25's and still have to be released....by then they'll get a little wiser and a little harder to catch then your average walleye so i'd think in the future you'll start seeing a decent amount of eyes in the 26-30 inch range and possibly even bigger.

on my trip up just last week i was pretty impressed with the perch also...caught a little more then normal and they are starting to really beef up...missed a jumbo right at the hole but we kept a few nice ones. last year we only caught a couple and they seemed to be of the smaller variety.

I guess I should have also mentioned that thes bigger walleye are "old school" fish or from the few left in the lake during the crash.

Sure wish I could get in on this Big Walleye action but it has happened on URL. My grandpa pulled 2 eyes back to back about 3 years ago in the 25-26" range, my younger brother pulled an eye last year that was 27". My best from URL is in the 23-24" range. I unfortunately have been the victim to a few stuck drags, a few screaming runs, and a few violent head shakes resulting in snapped lines. Maybe just a little too confident on the drag setting for me or what, but I've been schooled more than once. Keeps me coming back! grin.gif

We caught a beautiful 26.5 incher Saturday morning 2/16. It is back in the water swimming for someone else to catch someday.

Matt Phelps

Hopefully it bites on my hook next time. My wife caught a 27 incher about 3 years ago. CPR and I would like to see it now! grin.gif

I was talking to my dad who use to fish the lake 25-30 years ago and he said they never got much for big eyes out there. He said his biggest was around 24-25". He fished it quite a bit, too.

That's funny because my dad fished around the same time frame up there (25-30 yrs ago) and said the same thing. They didn't come up for the walleyes or the crappie. Back then Pike was the monsters out there. Although while throwing spoons near where the Tamerack comes in he hooked a monster crappie which a bar near the river (no longer there) had on their wall for years. He wouldn't say how large it was but really big compared to the stuff coming out even in the peak years.

Alas the bars not there any longer I would have liked to get a peek at that mount. I would like to find it and make an offer to get for him now that money isn't the issue it was back then for any of us. That would be a real kick to find that fish. Ha Dreams.

Unfortunately that bar on the Tamarac that you refer to burned down and most likely the crappie mount went with it.

They have a huge crappie mounted at West Wind bar/grill. I dont know how big but somewhere 4.5-5 pounds and came out of URL, I believe. That thing is huge!

anyways my personal best walleye was somewhere 25-26 inches in march of 2004 while crappie fishing. I have caught good numbers in the 20-24 inch range

The crappie in Westwinds is from a lake in Kentucky if I remember correctly. Kevin can chime in to correct me if I'm wrong... I know for sure it was not Red and it weighed between 3-3 1/2 pounds. Great crappie, just not one of Red's....

Good Luck!

Ken