Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jose Pez

411 To Ice Fish The Namakan

3 posts in this topic

Holla and Hey There eh-

I've been cruisin the web looking for information on ice fishing the Namakan.

If anyone has information for me it would be appreciated.

Some questions would include:

What is the current mode of transportation on the lake. Sled or ATV work? Looking to get out to Cemetery and Williams islands. The ATV has some advantages in carrying/pulling the always brought to much gear.

How close can I get to that location in the winter by road/trail?

Is there bait, groceries etc. near by?

How about cell phone coverage in that area?

Any fish being caught? Eyes'? On what, where and when?

Hows the night bite?

Anyone have any experience with towing a heavy trailer behind a sled? Any advice? Looking to pull my sleeper and voyager and a half ton truck load of stuff with me.

Basically I need the whole 411 as I've never iced fished up there. I have summer fished Namakan a few years ago from a boat but never hard water fished it.

Its on the bucket list and something I want to do yet this year.

Gracias los comentarios!

Jose Pez

Welcome to FM!

There will be more experts in the area of Nam, but I can tell you that you are probably going to be traveling by sled since there are no ATV's allowed on Park land and you shouldn't be going through any narrows on the ice.

If there is a night bite, it would be a secret to me. I've never had what you'd call a great night bite on any of those lakes...Rainy, Nam, Kab, Crane, Sand Point...except for the occasional eelpout. Good luck though. It sounds like fun. I hope you do well!

You most likely will have to put in at the Ash River visitors center. If you have a whole Truck load of stuff plus a sleeper and a voyager you might need more than a snowmobile to pull it all with. How big is this sleeper and this voyager? Are they on wheels? I usually pull all my stuff in my little igloo popup/sled. But I don't stay overnight on the ice...ever. No night bite on these lakes as far as I know. If it was me I would travel light and stay at one of the local resorts. nearest supplies will be all the way out to the Highway. Jim's is a convienience store and the Gateway store has pretty much everything. Cell phone coverage is sporatic at best depending on who your carrier is. I have CellOne/ATT and I am lucky to get coverage on the highway while sprint verizon folks have service right on the lake. Pressure ridges and drifts can be an issue on these lakes Perhaps Dockboy or Guts can weigh in as I know they both live up that way. I think that you might have more sucess on Kab but I have not been on the ice up there yet this year either. Good Luck! ODL