• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Marcum LX-5 Questions

Bushwacker

Question

I have had a FL-18 for the past few years and really like the unit. I am really interested in getting a Marcum LX-5. For those of you who have used both. Am I upgrading, staying the same, or down-grading. Don't want to start a Ford vs. Chevy argument, just looking for opinions on if I will be happy with the switch. I use the zoom all the time on the FL-18 and that is what really makes me want the LX-5. A lot of times where that adjustable zoom would come in really handy in different areas of the water column. One thing that I have heard repeatedly is that the LX-5 causes a lot of interferance for people around the unit. A lot of my buddies have FL-8's. Is this a problem? Thanks for any help.

14 answers to this question

I have run both units and there is no doubt the LX-5 put's the Fl-18 in it's place. Upgrade is an understatement. There are to many good options on the LX-5 to ignore. Zoom, Super Fine-Line, built in dual beam 8/20 deg. transducer, interference rejection, display, fully automatic charging system and softpack. Once you see the screen and get familiar with it's operation like most here the LX-5 will be your best friend. The only issue I have had with Vex and MarCum regarding interference was with the FL-18 and MarCum's in 30' of water, the FL-8 was very fishable, but throw a FL-18 in there and the FL-18 had the problems? Once you go MarCum you never go back. You'll love it...

I have a LX5 and a Hondex,the Hondex is a pre vexlar unit without interference rejection,similar to vexlar fl8. I bought the LX5 because it allowed me to fish in close proximity to my Hondex without interference. I also like the dual degree transducer,the fine line and as mentioned the zoom that works thru the whole water colum.I would also add that Marcum is first rate for customer service,I know this from experience with my vs560 underwater camera which had a slight problem that was taken care of quickly and has had no other issue.

I have an LX5 and fished with up to 4 vexilars in the same house without too much issue. I was perfect, but they had a few blips from time to time. Its easiest to set them up 1 at a time, with the Marcum being last, as it has the ability to reject almost any interference. Worst case scenario, if you have interference, switch to the NBT.

I would get the LX-5 from what I have seen it is far and away the most technologically advanced flasher on the market, I have friends with different marcums and with vexilars and all of the want my LX-5. Not to take anything away from a vexilar of course as they are very good units as well

Originally Posted By: Bushwacker
What is the NBT-

Narrow Beam Transducer.

I just fished with my LX5 and a FL20 all weekend. Here is what I will say about the pros of each:

FL20 - the flat screen is nice. Can view from many angles. Wish my LX5 had that. Also, there is talk about some Vex users don't like how the LX5 is sort of "jumpy" in the markings, and you can notice that, though I don't know if it is pro or con. You are used to the "smooth" or "blurred" action of your FL18, so you would notice the difference.

LX5 - the NBT works great. The zoom, as you know. But the main difference I really saw in having them next to each other (no interference probs at all) is that it seems the Like the LX5 is comparable to having a summer locator on normal mode, and the FL20 was sort of like having it on Fish Track or Fish Symbols. You seemed to sense more and see littler movements on the LX5. Maybe the SFL?...

Anyway, either would be an upgrade from your FL18, though I think the FL18 is great as well. Good luck, hope that didn't come across as bashing either unit.

I also like the fact that if I turn the unit down to zero gain on LX5, I actually get zero signal read.

The Marcum Flashers uses more up to date technology and digital circuitry signal processing. That may mean if it doesn't read a clear return signal, it doesn't show it. Like a CD player or a digital cell phone, that if it loses the signal, you get nothing.

The Vexilar are still using mostly discreet circuitry. It's what we may call analog signal processing. Like a tape player or analog cell phone, that if a signal isn't clear you still get some parts of it, although it may be scratchy or muffled.

It is known that discreet circuitry will last a very long time like well over 20 yrs. For example, military field phones, the one's where you crank a handle to get it working. While digital being new, doesn't have a history to go with it yet. For example, FRS radio, works with battery, but don't get it wet or it'll short.

As we know our TV's are all going digital, making our old TV's obsolete.

The LX5 did not blow me away completely, but I did do a whole lot of research before buying. It does give me an advantage over my Vexilar buddies. It's a small complete package and I'm different from all those other Vexilar's all around me. There's no mistaking of someone taking you're flasher accidentally. LOL's unless every one get's the same LX5, then we would all need luggage ID tags. (hint, hint Marcum folks)

I have an LX-5 and my friend has an FL-8. We were fishing in about 25 ft of water and about 8 ft apart. We did get a little interference, but I stress the word little. It was barely noticeable. My buddy said he was suprised that we didn't have more of a problem fishing close.

Hope that helps out.

FatMike

Since getting my LX5 most the guys I fish with drool over it. All are Vex users from the old FL8's to New FL12's. Not to much trouble on their end with interference. We all catch fish and have fun that most important.

Thanks guys, I think I am sold on the Marcum. Why did I just buy that Vexilar parka??!!??

I have a lx 5 and my buddy had a 3 and he did have alittle interference from mine but I think he just used that as an excuse to get his own LX 5. I love mine and wont go back to a vex.

No doubt go with the Marcum unless you will fish deeper than 160' of water at times. Then you have to get a deep water vex.

Originally Posted By: schweady
Is there much of a problem with interference when a LX-5 is alongside a LX-3tc?

I have an LX-5 and a LX-3TC and can get rid of ALL interference on both units with only a few pushes of the IR buttons.