• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I have been fishing this lake for Crappies mostly, and have done okay. I assumed I might catch a stray walleye on a rare occasion, but none yet. Are the walleyes tough to find in this lake? Most lakes in the area are good for a brief flurry around sunset, but I haven't gotten any on Cedar yet. I was thinking with the darker water, perhaps the bite is at at different time. Any suggestions?

Cedar is not really known for walleyes in the winter. Yes you can get a few. There is so much structure in the lake they can be hard to find. If you have a lake map look you will find several sunken islands and points in the big lake and bays. I have not been out there since early ice. They like to bite at pretty normal peak times. Fish the steep breaks of the sunken islands. Good luck.

I fish walleyes year round around those islands they seem to always have some current which draws the eyes. It seems there always at different depths. But they are there some where. Like Keith said theres lots of structure.

Cedar has everything as to what draws/holds eyes.

A good lake map and some time studing would do a guy a world of good to help pin point the go to areas.

Goggy, you mean those islands near the public access (each has a run-down shack), or those on each end of the main lake? On the South end of the main lake, there is that island with the red cabin, and nearby that is a nice sunken island where there are buoys marked in the summer. If you're around this weekend maybe we could meet up.

Just wondering if you had a chance to fish that sunken island on Cedar this weekend. From the cabin I noticed a bunch of people fishing out where it should be. Just wondering how any did. I see people night fishing that area in the summer but have never taken the opportunity. I would be interested in any input. I would love to fish the lake in the winter for crappies but everyone always has said that the lake is full of springs so I am kind of uncertain about running to far on the snowmobile or fourwheeler.

Icewomen there is a lot of springs out there. I lived and worked on the lake for a long time. I just alwaws check the ice just to be safe. Both marcums and sunset bays are good crappie spots. Little cedar also has a good bite. The area that runs between big and little cedar is the spot you really have to watch for thin ice. The night bite for crappies is usually pretty good. Lots of eyes out there lots of structure to be fished. The islands and points are a good place to start. If fishing in the summer a nightcrawler might be your best friend out there. Good luck and be safe.

Originally Posted By: icewoman
I see people night fishing that area in the summer but have never taken the opportunity.

Icewoman, Most of the people that you see out there at night during the summer are fishing for muskie. If you see a black and tan Fishhawk out there it will more than likely be me.

Thanks for the input. I don't know Marcum bay ( I wonder if that is what we refer to as crappie bay ), but I am familiar with Sunset Bay. As with most lakes after awhile you tend to make up your own names for spots on the lake.

I have not explored Sunset bay area much, did a little fishing over there this summer and had some nice luck with bass. In the last couple of years I have seen more and more muskie fishing on Cedar. I have fished some and would love to do it more. Last winter I got some nice video of two muskies that would not leave my area ice fishing one day. These were some big fish...did not catch a thing all day but it was fun to watch them. A person can spend a lot of time exploring that lake, lots of nice diverse structure.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

• Your Responses - Share & Have Fun :)

• leech~~
      Nope not me.  May want to go nextdoor and ask around?  
    • smurfy
      Looks to me like Leech brought his chair home!!😅😆
    • Brianf.
      I'm not there, so I can't tell exactly what's going on but it looks like a large area of open water developed in the last day with all of the heavy snow on the east side of wake em up Narrows. These two photos are from my Ring Camera facing north towards Niles Point.  You can see what happened with all of snow that fell in the last three days, though the open water could have been wind driven. Hard to say. .  
    • SkunkedAgain
      Black Bay had great ice before but a few spots near rockpiles where there were spots of open water. It looks like the weight of the snow has created a little lake in the middle of the bay.  
    • LakeofthewoodsMN
      On the south end...   Thanks to some cold spring weather, ice fishing continues strong for those still ice fishing.  The bite remains very good.  Most resorts have pulled their fish houses off for the year, however, some still have fish houses out and others are allowing ATV and side by sides.  Check social media or call ahead to your favorite resort for specifics. Reports this week for walleyes and saugers remain excellent.   A nice mix of jumbo perch, pike, eelpout, and an occasional crappie, tullibee or sturgeon being reported by anglers. Jigging one line and using a live minnow on the second line is the way to go.  Green, glow red, pink and gold were good colors this week.     Monster pike are on a tear!  Good number of pike, some reaching over 45 inches long, being caught using tip ups with live suckers or dead bait such as smelt and herring in 8 - 14' of water.   As always, work through a resort or outfitter for ice road conditions.  Safety first always. Fish houses are allowed on the ice through March 31st, the walleye / sauger season goes through April 14th and the pike season never ends. On the Rainy River...  The river is opened up along the Nelson Park boat ramp in Birchdale, the Frontier boat ramp and Vidas boat ramp.  This past week, much of the open water skimmed over with the single digit overnight temps.   Areas of the river have popped open again and with temps getting warmer, things are shaping up for the last stretch through the rest of the spring season, which continues through April 14th.   Very good numbers of walleyes are in the river.  Reports this week, even with fewer anglers, have been good.  When temps warm up and the sun shines, things will fire up again.   Jigs with brightly colored plastics or jigs with a frozen emerald shiner have been the desired bait on the river.  Don't overlook slow trolling crankbaits upstream as well.   Good reports of sturgeon being caught on the river as well.  Sturgeon put the feed bag on in the spring.  The bite has been very good.  Most are using a sturgeon rig with a circle hook loaded with crawlers or crawlers / frozen emerald shiners. Up at the NW Angle...  Ice fishing is winding down up at the Angle.  Walleyes, saugers, and a number of various species in the mix again this week.  The bite is still very good with good numbers of fish.  The one two punch of jigging one line and deadsticking the second line is working well.   Check with Angle resorts on transport options from Young's Bay.  Call ahead for ice road guidelines.  
    • CigarGuy
      With the drifting, kind of hard to tell for sure, but I'm guessing about a foot and still lightly snowing. Cook end!
    • PSU
      How much snow did you get on Vermilion? 
    • Mike89
      lake here refroze too...  started opening again yesterday with the wet snow and wind...  very little ice left today...
    • Hookmaster
      A friend who has a cabin between Alex and Fergus said the lake he's on refroze. He texted me a pic from March 12th when it was open and one from 23rd when it wasn't. 🤯
    • SkunkedAgain
      I don't think that there has been any ice melt in the past few weeks on Vermilion. Things looked like a record and then Mother Nature swept in again.   I'll give my revised guess of April 21st

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.