Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joshseaton

Anchors away?????

10 posts in this topic

I was wondering what suggestions you all may have on what are the best anchors to use. I have a 1800 pro-v, and primarily fish mille lacs and rivers. Let me know your thoughts! Thanks guys!

I'm a big fan of the Richtor (SP?) anchor.

Do a search this has been beaten to death. In short RICHTOR.

Ditto on the richtor! Oh, add a length of rubber coated chain.

25lb Richter Anchor

5' of chain between the rope and anchor will really help you grab.

Looks to me like the richtor and some lenght of chain is the ticket. I use this set up on the raging Minnesota river in the spring and it works very well. I also have 150ft of rope for each anchor.

Good call on the amount of line on each anchor. On Mille Lacs you want to position the boat to the structure, not be on top of it with anchors essentially straight down.

If I'm slip bobbering a reef, I like a lot of line out to ease the boat up to where I want it. Ballpark ratio is 3:1 for line out to depth. That may be tricky on ML on a popular reef, but that's the goal!

Chris

Someone help me understand how the chain helps out? I'm willing to try something new.

It keeps the anchor tipped on it's side.

I use the Richter as well and love it. I also use a drop-n-stay. It really helps my anchor to hold and I don't have to let out nearly as much rope. Bought it late last season and love it. I tried the chain and it worked good but my skinny arms did not like the extra weight. Man, is open water ever going to get here????